Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > West Coast Whoppers - Archive > West Coast Whoppers 2010

Old 10-31-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
kurtfish

Happy Halloween

What a beautiful day it turned out to be. Little wind and bright sunshine. Surf did not materialize as wetsand had predicted. As Iceman predicted plenty of tp in the restrooms and the lights were even turned on. 1,800 yds in the pool and a trip to Hubbs to show my kids the cool brood stock. As it seems our moderator is on an extended to trip to the Bahamas with Billy V I decided to go ahead and calculate my own point total update.

With a 22 pound Yellowtail caught on an iron submitted last month worth 37 points so I should be up to 199 thru Sept and with 43 points for this month my unoffical total should be 242. If Wade did not find any takers for the candy bars I gave him we may have to duke it out over the next couple months for fourth as Don seems to have thrid wrapped-up. We if we go back and add my March and May late submittals my unoffical unoffical point total is 347 so Don and I may have duke it out for bragging rights thrid as well.

Since we are on the subject of rules and submittions I really think allowing submissions of all three species each month makes a lot of sense and helps eleviate the emphasis on flat fish that the current scoring system includes. As Greg's current video submissions illustrates flat fishing is quite a placid undertaking and giving a 10 lb flattie the same points as 20 lb Yellowtail that acutally might drag you ass around for a 5 or 10 mintes and spash you a few times when you try to gaff on the thrid or fourth try it does not make sense to me to have those two fish worth the same points. Fishing flatties in the middle of the day in a clam bay is not quite as interesting and challenging as launching thru the surf in the dark and fighting a WSB in the dark. Hopefully, I have bored the BD trollers into moving back to the Chargers highlights and off this extended post.

I am actually serious about multi-species submissions for next year.

Okay, so hopefully they are gone. 42 lb. WSB, 51" male with an empty belly and well bled at sea. Caught on the old candy iron combo off the only place I know how to fish. 4 reserach vessels out this am, no Pbers and no yaks untill a couple guys including Wade came out after the research vessels shut off thier lights. Wade if you have made it this far, if you are planning to meet a fishierman at the launch and you see a truck with a "turn in your WSB heads" bumper sticker on it parked in the frist spot you might consider that your partner for the day might already be out to sea. Sorry about the mix-up but you might keep your phone turned on as well, I called twice and almost lost my phone to the squirts.

Kurt45lbsWSB31OCT2010.jpg

halloweenLeng1010.jpg

halloweenLeoveral1010.jpg

halloweenwemouth2010 010.jpg

Last edited by kurtfish; 11-01-2010 at 11:28 AM.
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
bellcon

Couldn't wait until midnight?

Looks like a 30lber to me...

way to go Kurt
I will be back in LJ come November...

But I will also continue to hunt for them over valued flatties in a bay somewhere...

PS
That flatty king GregA....
I know he caught a nice size WSB on that
rod...
(just wasnt worth as many points as that beasty halibut he caught that month, something like 53lbs vs. 58pts)
just saying,

Last edited by bellcon; 10-31-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Added the ps
bellcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
paintnfish

Dont hate the player.... The rules were clear before you sent the check.
paintnfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:10 PM   #4
wade

CONGRATULATIONS KURT!!!!!!!!!!!

"Wade if you have made it this far, if you are planning to meeting a fishierman at the launch and you see a truck with a "turn in your WSB heads" bumper sticker on it parked in the frist spot you might consider that your partner for the day might already be out to sea. "

ya,.... but i didnt want to be "that guy" with a giant monster on my lap launching before our meeting time and passing u on your way out, on my way in!!!

I was only going by our plan the night before when we talked on the phone..That was why i asked is 5am cool with you and not earlier? I cant see a neon stop sign in the middle of the night, let alone someones vehicle with my motor skills just warming up! i actually ended up waiting almost two hours for you and then decided to finally launch and ultimately miss out on those Haloween Ghosts!....

Every corner I turned their was hurdle today..My yak almost drowned today and the hull filled 50% with water right after you left too...
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
Grego

Don't hate on GregA....he puts his time on the water like everyone else and uses a kayak.

The mods have put 5 years tournaments worth of consideration on the point system, ask them about it, in private of course
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 05:25 PM   #6
buttchaser
Float Tuber

Maybe you should'nt sign up next year since you don't follow simple instructions ....
By the way that little Rod also caught him this 52 lber

Last edited by WCW Moderator; 11-01-2010 at 08:11 AM.
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 06:21 PM   #7
Chuck D

Nice Fish Kurt, good job
Chuck D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

Nice fish!
Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
dxrat
Junior

If you can't beat em, join em.
Go get yourself a nice flatfish. You might be surprised they are not all that "PLACID". Some of that smoothness comes from practice.
dxrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
steveooo

1- That is a crazy sweatshirt, where can I get one?

2- Nice fish

3- Billy and Lambchops are snuggling in the Bahamas? Where was my invite?

4- Anything after first place is just sorting out which number loser you are. (I'm currently in a heated battle to be the 23rd loser...)

Congrats!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:01 AM   #11
Matt
Support your local pangas

That's a Cosby sweater!!!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #12
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post

Thx for sharing, great catch, congrats.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:40 AM   #13
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
"thank you" present from Wade?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
WCW Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
with 43 points for this month
Quote:
45 lb. WSB at least that is what my scale read at the beach when the funny pics with my horns were taken.
and a scale shot showing 41 pounds......so what is it?!?!

Thank God everyone's subs are not like yours! why post a scale shot that is not required, only to claim a higher amount.

Quote:
We if we go back and add my March and May late submittals my unoffical unoffical point total is 347 so Don and I may have duke it out for bragging rights thrid as well
Seriously?!?

Last edited by WCW Moderator; 11-01-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: removed quote that was deleted in original and spelling jab
WCW Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
kurtfish

The Moderator Lives

Good to see that our moderator is back to try to keep us on track. I went ahead and deleted the reference to Flattie King's rods. I was just trying to create filler to keep the meat of my post lower on the screen so scrolling would be required for the BD trollers. My scale shot was an attempt to keep pace with Mr. Andrew's high quality submittals with the very significant decimal points for those flat fish. 41 or 42 pounds is fine as I am not going to be catching Don or force you to write a check to someone you might like to kick-out of the life boat. As for spelling, ah spell check on this site would be helpful for most of us.

Thanks for your consideration and helpful tips, Kurtfish
kurtfish is offline   Reply With Quote