Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #1
ewhitney60

In the Market for a new Rod&Reel Combo

I have recently (past 6 months) or so have gotten into Saltwater fishing. I've learned quick what is and is not successful. I don't know everything (obviously) I am mostly interested in everyone's input on some rod and reel combo's that they like. i've been interested in the baitcasters but open for discussion.

Any tips on how to narrow down my choices? I'm looking for something that won't break the bank as I am also narrowing down the kayak of my choosing to purchase. However, quality is what i'm looking for.

I will be moving back to Oregon in the next few months and will be doing some king salmon and Rockfish/ Lingcod fishing up there.
ewhitney60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
taggermike

First question is what do you want to fish for and where. My bay gear includes a 6 lb spinner. My LJ gear has 65 lb and 9' 40 lb jig stick. Let us know and you'll get more help.
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
ewhitney60

For the next few months I will be fishing in the Coronado bay area or wherever I get a wild hair to fish. Mostly searching for yellowtail and for some bottom feeders. I am basically looking for something that is ideal for the ocean that is not a spinning reel.

Hopefully that clears it up?
ewhitney60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
captnblood34

Go to your local tackle shop, not Dicks or Sports Chalet, but that hole in the wall place. What works for you may not work for the next guy. Chat up one of the guys that work there and you'll walk out happy.

Jay
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:32 AM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

Consider used especially if you're starting off. Bus Kid has some decent rod and reels

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ad.php?t=28436
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #6
taggermike

I'll throw in a plug for Squid Co on Barnett. Good price, focusses on local salt water, and good guys that will give straight dope.

For LJ style fishing a solid combo would be a daiwa sealine, seagate , or saltist. Shimano torium or go with a TLD 15 lever drag. Many other great reels at many prices. Rods are what you want to spend. Ugly stick tiger will kill fish. calstar and seeker are made in so cal and have been respected for decades. Both make a big selection of glass and graphite rods that will get things done.

IMO don't mess around with 15 or 20 lb in La Jolla. There are big fish there all year. There are also crowds, lobster traps, anchor ropes, and smart hungry aggressive sea lions. Its still sports fishing, but the longer you have the fish on the line the greater the chances are of you losing it. Use 30 or 40 and pull. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fishing gear, fishing reel