Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
ICHI
Junior

BOM off a yak?

Ok this is probably a dumb question since Ive never seen a thread about it or heard about it, but here it goes anyways. I was wanting to know your guys thoughts on trolling a bait o matic. I have plenty of rapalas, but I also have a BOM for when on a pb. I was thinkin I could troll the BOM real deep while trolling a rapala up top. I remeber trolling it at really slow speeds. Is it out out of the question that a kayak is to slow. Any thoughts.
ICHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
steveooo

I have thought about it too. I can't imaging trolling around 16 oz of lead would create much more drag than a couple of deep diving magnum rapallas. Recommended trolling speed is 3-4 knots. That is pretty easy in a kayak also. The biggest down side I can see is tail hooking a big thresher, and when you get the thing boatside, he will be trying to smack you with a pound of lead with swinging hooks attached to it . Logistically I think it is very do-able, but I'm not sure I want to be the one to try it out
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM   #3
dorado50

You will get plenty of Ts with just the rapala. With the BOM just pin on a mackeral and you'll probably get the big mama. Good luck.....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #4
T Bone

Whats the biggest T landed by a kayaker in So-Cal.I know Jim S. has one about 175.Are there any bigger?

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #5
ICHI
Junior

Ya that was the only thing I was debating, 16 of lead would create some drag, and BOM has a reputation of hooking some larger models, mostly tail hooks too. Maybe Ill see what its like dragging one of them over the canyons edge. Thanks for your replys.
ICHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Geoffkoop

Would these feather jigs catch anything?

I have a ton of my grandpa's old gear and he has alot of tuna feathers.
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM   #7
Siebler

The feathers should really be trolled at a faster speed than a kayak is capable of. They are meant to hug the surface and draw a reaction bite. You would probably get yourself a bonito though.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #8
Dave I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICHI View Post
Ok this is probably a dumb question since Ive never seen a thread about it or heard about it, but here it goes anyways. I was wanting to know your guys thoughts on trolling a bait o matic. I have plenty of rapalas, but I also have a BOM for when on a pb. I was thinkin I could troll the BOM real deep while trolling a rapala up top. I remeber trolling it at really slow speeds. Is it out out of the question that a kayak is to slow. Any thoughts.

Even dumber question...

WTF is a BOM??
Dave I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #9
esdees
The Good Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave I. View Post
WTF is a BOM??
BOM = Bait-o-Matic
Bloody Decks post

I've never used one, but the boat guys love (or hate) them for their thresher attracting ability. Just add mackerel.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote