Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2006, 08:32 AM   #1
Mike K.

5-13 AM Big Black

Took the long way around again...saw the fleet heading right to the usual spots so went north...flat water and no wind made a great paddle. Easy bait and went chasing bird piles off blacks. didn't see much but a big knot head sealion tossing a big fish carcass around. Came back over the canyon and by the tupperware fleet. Everyone soaking bait for nada so took off for an area off the point and farther out. Started getting a rig ready to get some fish taco material when the bottom bait rig goes off. Reel in gear and off we go....AND I MEAN OFF...nearly off the kayak...had the drag fairly tight and was side saddle on the yak when this thing went on a tear. I thought these things were slow and lethargic but the mass behind the muscle is awesome. It was about 11:00 and most of the fleet was gone, only a couple of guys around to see the sleigh ride. Lightened up the drag a bit and did the "I'll take an inch and you take a yard" dance for about a half hour. Sea lion was close but he wanted no part of it. Finally started to get some line back but off on another run we go. When he finally did come up my heart was pumpin', his mouth was so big I could pretty much fit my head in it. Just sat there awestruck for a minute. Had no scale and didn't want to hurt it any more by lifting it (couldn't have lifted it much anyway) but it was in the #100 range for sure. It was mouth hooked so got the hook out and released it but it rolled belly up...CRAP! Went back over to it, righted it and grabbed a gill plate and slowly pulled it a little ways through the water...seemed to get a second wind and the tail started going...took a healthy head shake and swam down again. Stuck around for a while to make sure it was not coming back up and then went to catch dinner. Maybe sounds corny but I've been fishing a long time and being this close to the water fighting a fish that big was definitely the highlight.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
aguachico

Glad to see the BSB stocks are becoming stronger and stronger. Thanks for the safe release.
aguachico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 01:15 PM   #3
Ryan The Sealion

ccol man, 1st one I've heard of in a while..too bad you didn't have a camera.. they are pretty cool fish for the battle and the pix..
Ryan The Sealion is offline   Reply With Quote