Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Lipripper92592

La Jolla Monday

My wife and I got a late start and hit the La Jolla kelp beds around 1:00pm. It was easy to make some nice macs and few dines mixed in. Headed out a bit farther to about 70' and sent down a mac on the drop. Drifted that around for awhile putting on fresh bait every 20 or so minutes. A few times the mac got excited.......but nothing hit. The wind picked up around 4:00 so we headed back in.

I just started using a Hobie bait tank and for the life of me, I can't get it to prime. The pickup is facing forward and at 5 mph it's still not priming. I've had to lower the tank in the water until it's above the pump outlet, then rock the PA back and forth as I'm moving forward. I have even picked the bait tank up to with the off to let the water start draining out of the pickup then drop in back into the scupper. It's a bitch, and I'm about to tip pulling that much weight back into the boat. Any advice? Thanks so much.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #2
seaquinn
wishin' I was fishin'

too bad about that tank. I'd go to Fast Lane Kayaks and have them take a look at it. With the opening facing forward, and a few miles an hour, it should work...... as long as it is turned on.
seaquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Lipripper92592

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaquinn View Post
too bad about that tank. I'd go to Fast Lane Kayaks and have them take a look at it. With the opening facing forward, and a few miles an hour, it should work...... as long as it is turned on.
I picked it up used from Fast Lane, so I'm pretty sure it was working fine when it left the shop. I'm starting to wonder if the pickup tube was for the revo and not the PA. Is the pickup tube for the Revo shorter than the PA pickup tube? Can anybody give me the length of the pickup tube they are using on a PA?
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

The pick up tube needs to be an extra inch longer for the draw on the PAs. New tanks come with the 2nd longer tube to swap out.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Raskal311

I picked up a use tank for my PA as well and had to replace it with a tube I got from HD. Make sure pickup is peeping out it the hole by about an inch.
Raskal311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

another thing that will make priming difficult is any obstruction, you can pull off the cartridge to expose the impeller by squeezing the 2 red tabs and twisting. A lot of times eel grass finds its way in there and wraps around.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
another thing that will make priming difficult is any obstruction, you can pull off the cartridge to expose the impeller by squeezing the 2 red tabs and twisting. A lot of times eel grass finds its way in there and wraps around.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1003900...2#.UT9MgXxxsVk

Met bigbarrels on the sand one day and he hooked me up with a 3ft/3ft section of this stuff. A little cut about 3"x3" section with some thin strips of duct tape and I haven't had any problems with clogging up my pump anymore.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Lipripper92592

Thank you for all the advice, I'll run a longer tube, and use some screen to keep it from getting plugged. Also I'll pop the cartridge and check for grass or obstructions.