Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
swavings
Junior

First Time - Beach Launch - 3 to 6 foot waves

Where do I start......

I went to bed last night after I made my home made leashes. (some shock cord, velcro, and a few brass hook things). I kept telling myself I will not get wet, I will not get wet.

I arrive to AO about 5:15 and just check things out for a bit, from where I was standing the waves looked small and was easy to time. I get my kayak all setup for my beach launch... everything valuable was on the inside of the yak so all good there.

Again this was my first beach launch, I have done many at the launch ramps and the bays, where I just kinda scoot my big ass into the water.

6 foot 5 - 280 pounds.... Yak is a Tarpon Wilderness 160.

OK so back to the beach launch, I am dragging it into the water, and then realize, that I have never just jumped on my yak before, as mentioned i scoot. So I feel that there is a break in swell, I go to jump on and start paddling, BOOM... first drink.

OK, I think I know what I am doing now.... I think its time, I jump on, get through the first wave, then a second one comes and is a bit bigger, I hold on and omg, I got through that one.. The third wave comes, 6 feet, and try to go over, and BOOM - Drink #2 two..

I try to get through again... Drink 3, 4, 5, and 6. Now I am starting to doubt this, there is no way I can do this...

After the 6th time, I noticed that I am wearing chest I waders.... But when I take my graceful drinks, my chest is in the water too, Now I am soaked, and my waders are full of water and I am water logged.... I give it one more try and sure enough I made it.

By the time I was past the danger zone, my arms where shakey, out of breathe and really just ready to go home. But no.....

I paddle out about a mile to the area and there are other yakers there, ALL Dry mind you, and the fishing begins.... and waiting and waiting.

I am trying to figure out how to stablize and get my bearings, when I decided to try and look behind me, I lose it going to my right, try to over compensate to the left....... Drink #7. Wait, I have never got back up on my kayak in the deep water before. I remember reading these forums, and just grabbed the other side, and wiggled my big ass back up and was ready to fish again.

On this trip No Fish, but that ok it was a learning experience.

Its not over yet...

On my way back I notice that the swells are even bigger with all the surfers trying to fish, Oh great how am I going to do this.... I looked for the best time and place to go for the home stretch, when I accidentally snuck up on a sea lion, it was so close I could have touched it with my hand.. Then it looks at me, and was scared out of his mind and decided to jump, knocking into the yak, but NO DRINK this time...

So I find my spot, catch a wave and then the back end goes out, felt like I was surfing, and then boom drink#8.

What a experience! Cant wait for the next time!!
swavings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Well that's a lot of spills. Sounds like your a big guy, maybe you want to look into something a bit more stable like an x-factor or PA or something. Those tarpons are narrow and fast but not as stable as something wider like the PA. Look into it.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
swavings
Junior

Thanks for the input Ful-Rac. I was actually thinking the same thing. Who cares about speed, at least I dont.

I am familiar was the X-Factor, whats a PA thou, havent heard of that one.

Sorry for the silly question, very new to this!!

Last edited by swavings; 06-27-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Dont for know
Old 06-27-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
ful-rac
Emperor

hobie Pro Angler

Old 06-27-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
That would be the Pro Angler by Hobie, 12 or 14 foot. Very stable.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #6
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

nice going out there. you got 8 dunks in the water, surf launch flips, surf landing flips, and deep water flips all out of the way. i ride a tarpon 120 and i just BARELY learned a trick with them.. HAUL ASS GOING IN!

as long as you haul ass (and dont get tossed over the falls)... use your paddle as a fin to guide you from going sideways. its actually fun to be going the speed of a wave in your yak. (mind you, all of my gear is now stored back in my yak so i wont lose anything when i flip.)
Old 06-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

where was i and the GO PRO at

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
swavings
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
where was i and the GO PRO at

LOL, actually there was a guy that Videoed it. I met him out in the water and said great job, but was his best entertainment that he had for a while.

I am hoping to get it, or if your reading this and you have it go ahead and post.

I was a Deep Hole - Across from Neptunes Net of PCH about 5:45am launch lol.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
Aaron&Julie

Cobra Fish 'n' Dives are also very stable, and carry a big load, I think rated at 560 pounds. Of course our models are 9 years old, so they may be somewhat different now.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #10
TJones

rule number #1

always set a a comfortable limit . i think jorge brought this up recently. with all the recent postings it can be tempting to try something not wise . 2 -3 ' is a hand full , let alone 4 -5 ' especially for the inexperienced . a couple other things mentioned from the pro's . wear a belt with you'r waders , and the golden rule is where you'r head goes your body will follow . congratulations on you'r first on the water recovery . now you can check that one off and you know you can perform one as needed . never ever try to catch a wave . it is the opposite of surfing .

Last edited by TJones; 06-27-2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: golden rule # 2
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
YakAttak

Great tries and recovery. The part I liked most is you didn't give up and kept going. Great thing you didn't lose any of your gears too.
Thanks for posting your experience .
YakAttak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavings View Post
LOL, actually there was a guy that Videoed it. I met him out in the water and said great job, but was his best entertainment that he had for a while.

I am hoping to get it, or if your reading this and you have it go ahead and post.

Holy crap! I thought uou were at LJ! You done lost your mind launching out of there! I guess you had to learn the hard way huh?!
Old 06-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
Im bent
Junior

Im a drinker too!!! I live in carlsbad and I was taking my wilderness 120 out. totally new at this mind you, I made it out pretty good the first time off state beach the, but coming in I left my fish finder hooked up, rods in the rodholders, Totally ignorant of what was about to happen. Busted my color fishfinder rods and lose my catch to boot. That was an expensive display of ignorance thats for sure. La jolla looks like a cakewalk comapred to state beach. I hope thats the case,I have not mastered it by any means and still have not been to la jolla kayaking. I am on here trying to put every piece of info to help me any way possible. You tube has been a fountain of info for me. I would sure love it if someone would let me tag along to see how it is really done. Moral of the story dont feel bad!
Im bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
Im bent
Junior

vincentech 9 what tricks I would love to know.. Thats what I paddle
Im bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
kantstudien

Quote:
Consider yourself lucky you made it back with being airlifted to the hospital. Waves were rough there today with some very large sets coming in later in the morning.

Not the place to learn entrances/exits.
kantstudien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
momo fish

Post like these make me feel soooo much better.. since i was not the only one who decided to try first launch from there !!! not smart, but dam worth the expierence.. its like jumping into cold water instead of gradually.. sometimes thats the best way to learn..

When waves are bigger than 3-4 i rather head out of Leo.. just my 2 cents

Quote:
Where do I start......

I went to bed last night after I made my home made leashes. (some shock cord, velcro, and a few brass hook things). I kept telling myself I will not get wet, I will not get wet.

I arrive to AO about 5:15 and just check things out for a bit, from where I was standing the waves looked small and was easy to time. I get my kayak all setup for my beach launch... everything valuable was on the inside of the yak so all good there.

Again this was my first beach launch, I have done many at the launch ramps and the bays, where I just kinda scoot my big ass into the water.

6 foot 5 - 280 pounds.... Yak is a Tarpon Wilderness 160.

OK so back to the beach launch, I am dragging it into the water, and then realize, that I have never just jumped on my yak before, as mentioned i scoot. So I feel that there is a break in swell, I go to jump on and start paddling, BOOM... first drink.

OK, I think I know what I am doing now.... I think its time, I jump on, get through the first wave, then a second one comes and is a bit bigger, I hold on and omg, I got through that one.. The third wave comes, 6 feet, and try to go over, and BOOM - Drink #2 two..

I try to get through again... Drink 3, 4, 5, and 6. Now I am starting to doubt this, there is no way I can do this...

After the 6th time, I noticed that I am wearing chest I waders.... But when I take my graceful drinks, my chest is in the water too, Now I am soaked, and my waders are full of water and I am water logged.... I give it one more try and sure enough I made it.

By the time I was past the danger zone, my arms where shakey, out of breathe and really just ready to go home. But no.....

I paddle out about a mile to the area and there are other yakers there, ALL Dry mind you, and the fishing begins.... and waiting and waiting.

I am trying to figure out how to stablize and get my bearings, when I decided to try and look behind me, I lose it going to my right, try to over compensate to the left....... Drink #7. Wait, I have never got back up on my kayak in the deep water before. I remember reading these forums, and just grabbed the other side, and wiggled my big ass back up and was ready to fish again.

On this trip No Fish, but that ok it was a learning experience.

Its not over yet...

On my way back I notice that the swells are even bigger with all the surfers trying to fish, Oh great how am I going to do this.... I looked for the best time and place to go for the home stretch, when I accidentally snuck up on a sea lion, it was so close I could have touched it with my hand.. Then it looks at me, and was scared out of his mind and decided to jump, knocking into the yak, but NO DRINK this time...

So I find my spot, catch a wave and then the back end goes out, felt like I was surfing, and then boom drink#8.

What a experience! Cant wait for the next time!!
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
if you find the video please start a separate thread,,,
titled Gangman style at deep hole...
I tell ya one of these days your gonna eat it and ill be there to film it!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
TheBentRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Holy crap! I thought uou were at LJ! You done lost your mind launching out of there! I guess you had to learn the hard way huh?!
X2. Not the best place for your first beach launch.
TheBentRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
Ok Tony - I deleted my posts,,, no more jokes - about it from me I have flipped just no film and I am sure it was just as funny when we got back to the launch - it was 5-6 feet.... it was a sideways rollover - nothing lost as reels were in drybag and everything was secured you are a cool guy, great sport and a great fisherman,,,
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
Ok Tony - I deleted my posts,,, no more jokes - about it from me I have flipped just no film and I am sure it was just as funny when we got back to the launch - it was 5-6 feet.... it was a sideways rollover - nothing lost as reels were in drybag and everything was secured you are a cool guy, great sport and a great fisherman,,,
Did you really?! Why?! Just talkn smack! Just dont wipe out! Or else!