Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #1
PAL

IMPORTANT info for Sat LJ Benefit Tourney!

We’re all set for our June 27 benefit tournament to raise cash to keep La Jolla and our other precious kayak and spear sites open for low-impact recreational fishing. Thanks for joining us! Proceeds from the hook and line divisions will benefit the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans. Free diver entries will go to the new Watermans’ Alliance.

This message is meant to make your tournament day as easy and enjoyable as possible. Read on for a schedule of events that includes where you should be and when. Most especially, if you have a contending fish you don’t want to miss the weigh in. Please remember, this friendly contest is meant to show our solidarity and love for La Jolla, please observe the utmost in sportsmanship. Here’s the condensed schedule, read on for detailed info:

Sign-in at OE Express La Jolla: 4-6:30 am
Beach launch: 5:00 am
Weigh-in: 10:00 to 11:00 am ON THE WATER off La Jolla Shores.
Awards ceremony, lunch and prizes at Standley Park: Lunch available at 11:45 and 12:45. Awards starting approx 12:30.

Sign In 4:00 to 6:30 am
Those who haven’t already paid their $30 entry fee must check in at the OE Express dive shop at 2158 Avenida de la Playa, La Jolla, CA 92037, 858-454-6195. It is just steps from the beach launch. See map here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=2158+Avenida+de+la+Playa,+La+Jolla,+CA+92037&sll=37.509726,-95.712891&sspn=44.654536,79.013672&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16&iwloc=A

While there, don’t forget to pick up a Hobie duffle bag – first come, first served until 75 are gone.

DAY OF SIGN-UPS WELCOME! (Chipotle Mexican Grill lunch burritos are available for 140 - those who’ve registered and the first 15 or so walk-ups)

Auction donors – please drop your item(s) off at sign-in. If that won’t be possible, please bring it to the awards ceremony at Standley Park. Thanks!

Launch and Tournament Boundaries
Kayak based hook and line and spear fishers can launch anywhere within the tournament zone beginning at 5:00 am. Boat-based free divers can launch at any time, but may not start diving until 5:00 am.

The boundaries are basically greater La Jolla. From Tourmaline Surf Park in the south to the north end of the bluff at Torrey Pines.

Divisional Rules
Big Fish – any bait goes. No sharks, skates, rays or calico bass. Single heaviest sportfish wins the jackpot, $5 / entry. Hook, fight and land with human power only.

Big Bass – Money Between Friends format. Artificial baits only; scents and baits such as Gulp ok. Single heaviest LIVE bass wins the jackpot, $5 / entry. Hook, fight and land with human power only.

Free Dive - No sharks, skates, or rays. Single heaviest sportfish wins the jackpot, $5 / entry. Hook, fight and land with human power only.

Please choose only one division. All divisions must abide by DFG regulations – competitors are responsible for abiding by their sport’s accepted ethics.

Weigh Boat
A support boat will be available during most of the event – call if you need help on the water. Contact via VHF channel 71; the alternate working channel is 69. Check here later for a possible cell phone number. This is also our official weigh boat. The weigh-in will take place from 10:00 to 11:00 am off La Jolla Shores.
Approx location is: 32°51'29.69"N by 117°16'18.60"W

Here’s an aerial view – location is approximate and will be within a couple hundred yards west of the reserve boundary!

Big bass anglers should be prepared to keep their fish alive until weigh-in, but if you have a nice one and need an earlier weigh, give the boat a shout.

If you have a fish to weigh, please make sure to be in line in the vicinity of the boat at the tournament end time of 11:00 am. The experienced weigh boat staff will make a great effort to ensure fairness; the judgment of weigh boat staff is final. Thank-you.

Standley Park Awards Ceremony, Lunch and Raffle
We’ll be set up with drinks at approximately 10:30. Lunch burritos will arrive at 11:45 and 12:45 tentatively. Awards ceremony to begin at approximately 12:30. Each angler will get a single raffle ticket at sign-in. Those who’ve paid in advance should stop by the picnic for theirs. More will be available for purchase on site. Auctions will wrap up around 1:00 pm.

This is the first time this venue has been used for a tournament awards ceremony. Kayak parking shouldn’t present a problem. Boat trailer parking may pose a challenge, so please consider dropping your trailer at home if it is on the way. Look for additional parking in the school lots. It may not be obvious from the street.

For directions, see http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.038624&z=15

Here’s an aerial of the site. [img]http://www.kayakfishingzone.com/Imag...t/640_0001.jpg[/img]

Possible party locations circled in yellow. Extra parking in red; the light blue may also be an option.

Any other questions, please fire away. Otherwise, we’ll see you bright and early on Saturday. Good luck to everyone!

Paul Lebowitz
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Thanks for all your hard work organizing, gonna be a fun event!
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
CandyCatcher

Thanks Paul....

For those of us donating items......Where do you want them dropped off?

and to Clarify......When will OEX open for Registration on Sat? 4 am??

Can we pay at OEX on Friday??

See you there!!!
CandyCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
PAL

Quote:
For those of us donating items......Where do you want them dropped off?

and to Clarify......When will OEX open for Registration on Sat? 4 am??

Can we pay at OEX on Friday??
Thanks again for your donations! Please drop them off at check-in.

Yes, OEX registration opens at 4 am. We hope to race through these - there's little to do, just hand over your $30 and we'll write down your name or place a check mark by it if you're already registered. If you're concerned about timing, consider rigging your yak and parking before hand.

Sorry - OEX is not set up to take tournament entries prior to the event.

See you there!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
1Flatfish
Wayne

big bass weigh in question

If I get a big bass early (not likely for me, but who knows?) and want to weigh him so I don't have to keep him in my live-well for hours, Is it true that I can't weigh another fish later if I get a bigger one?
1Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
PAL

Quote:
If I get a big bass early (not likely for me, but who knows?) and want to weigh him so I don't have to keep him in my live-well for hours, Is it true that I can't weigh another fish later if I get a bigger one?
You can high grade. Don't go crazy please , but we want the bass contest to be a zero kill event. If you have one that won't fit in the well and weigh him, then catch a second larger one... you must be living right.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
warrior

well-less

Was thinking about leaving my well home since no live bait in the Bass category. Will my divers hook keep them alive or should I just tow that winner to the weigh boat Actually, I probably won't even vie for the smallest

since I coming from HB does anyone know of any campgrounds close to the awards park so I don't have to leave at 2:00 AM (still have to pay). I figure my wife could relax while I fish. If not, maybe a hotel.
warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Camping could be a problem. There are not many places available. You might try Campland on Mission Bay. Most of the local parks close at sundown. Fiesta Island might be an option. I do not know the rules there. Maybe someone else could weigh in.
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #9
yakrider

what if I am signed up for the big fish division but want to change to the Bass division? If it's not too late...I wanna do the bass division...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 07:53 PM   #10
PAL

Quote:
what if I am signed up for the big fish division but want to change to the Bass division? If it's not too late...I wanna do the bass division...
Ok bass man. You branching out Josh?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
yakrider

sumthin' differnt...
yakrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #12
bigderel
UberMember

Lightbulb

A quick note about livewells in the bass division...

Although most of the kayaks registered have adequate livewells big enough for bass, some may not have one. I don't recommend using dive clips to keep bass alive as the clip can thrash a fish's gills causing fatal damage. If you must use a clip - be absolutely sure that the clip is inserted between the gill plate and first gill raker. If the clip goes through the gill rakers (the red fringed breathing apparatus where all of the blood flows through) the fish will suffocate or bleed to death. If you have a livewell, bring it! Even if you think it's too small - bass can at least breathe if they fit inside.

I'm a bass hugger. I don't want to see mortally wounded fish. If you do not have a livewell, please hail me on Ch. 71 if you catch a big one and we will try and get to you in a timely manner. I can live with weighing a couple bass if you don't have a livewell. My suggestion is to find us out there and fish near us if you don't have a livewell, it would really help us. Duane and I will be out there and fishing (as we are part of the prize structure) and my guess is we will spend time in the inside kelp area. Oh, and remember...dead fish don't count. By dead I mean ranging from can't swim away to ten toes up...we prefer them healthy.

So what are you looking for? Tan/cream colored Crestliner with a white outboard. Two guys on it...I know I will be wearing a red hat. I'm nice and tall and loud, hard to miss me. Here's a pic for reference:

Have fun, be safe and let's see some big healthy calicos!
bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 05:58 AM   #13
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Will you have a cell phone with you? Many of us do not have radios.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 07:28 AM   #14
Margarita Mike

No Camping on Fiesta Is. It closes at about 10 pm and the cops drive it.

I think at this point a Hotel of Motel would be your best bet. Its Summer time and even they fill up fast.

I live only 5 min. from La Jolla and will be leaving at 2 AM. Not to bad for a great time of
Margarita Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:12 AM   #15
PAL

Registration is closed! Walk-ups are still welcome. Here's the final tally. If you've sent a check but don't see an "@" sign by your name, please PM.

Also, the weigh boat can be reached by cell phone at: 619-602-7211.

While you're out there, please do your part to clean up the coast. Trash can be dropped off with the weigh boat or brought to the awards ceremony at Standley Park. The person who collects the most garbage will receive a special prize pack (it'll be a bit subjective). Let's leave the area cleaner than we found it.

Good luck to everyone, and we'll see you tomorrow!

Big Fish
Adi Ljubovic
Andy Allen
Arne Rovell@
Avery Ellisman@
Ben Parra
Billy Vitale@
Bob Van Epps@
Charles Volkens
Chris Cary
Chris Fierro
Chris Hale
Clay Harding
Corey Wyrick
Dan Hernandez
Dave Schroeder
David Feinswog@
David Ferry
Dennis Sapitan
Don Bell
Don Lang
Drew Clark
Edward J Howerton
Eric Noonan
Eric Pugh
Eugene Kim
Evan Wagley
Forest Talbott
Gabe Martin
Gabe Nunez
Garet Emmerson
Gary Sullivan
Greg Tsujiuchi
Gregg Hartness
Harry Stamp
Jack Voss
Jasmin Grabic
Jason Swarthout@
Jay Koo@
Jeff Gardner
Jeff Krieger
Jesse Magana
Joe Armenderez
Joe Tuipala
Joel Howard
John Gugliotta
John Near
Josh Pruitt
Justin McGricht@
Kevin Peek@
Kiyo Sato
Kurt Hoffman
Kurt Schindler
Martin Harding
Matt Klenske
Matt Moyer
Matthew Hathaway
Nancy Ortiz
Nate Clookie
Norman Yuen
Patrick McAllister
Patrick Moench
Paul Weintraub
Phil Estill@
Randy Janush
Rex McNamara
Rich Dame
Richard Lightfoot
Robert Badajos
Steve Latino
Steve Orr
Todd Peirce
Travis Lightfoot
Trevor Blann
Troy Zoerhof
Tyler Webb
Will Cary

Bass
Al Figueras
Bob Kreiger
Brett DeLong
Brian Sanner
Candice Schmidt
Cesar Carig "Sonny"
Chuck Long
Dave Easton@@
David Little
Derwin Chang
Ed Keil
Jeff Morasse
Jesse Vargas
Josh Rider@
Ken Rosburg
Kerry Peeler
Kevin Harvey
Kevin Stafford
Kirk Gossett
Mark Kleiter
Mark Lakamp
Matt Kim
Mike Boehmke
Mike Candra
Mike Fornes
Mike Graham
Robert Badajos
Robert Yakemonis
Steven Green
Tom Buckalew
Tony Park
Wayne Wilcoxen
Will Bowen

Spearfish
Ben Hendricks
Brian Steeves
Christopher Davis
Cody Lightfoot@
Elliot Gorfain
Greg Fitzgerald
Joe Nguyen
Joe Prola@
John Firebaugh@
Mike Portolese
Paul Bonanno
Perry Burck
Pete Gutkowski
Richard Lightfoot
Ryan Sweeney
Scott DeFirmian@
Tara O'Connor
Travis Lightfoot
Old 06-26-2009, 09:16 AM   #16
bigderel
UberMember

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Will you have a cell phone with you? Many of us do not have radios.

Bob
Bob - I will have my cell phone with me, the number is (619) 602-7211. If anyone tries it during the tourney and I don't answer...call back...I'm hard of hearing from all those Jonas Brothers concerts.

bigderel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:42 AM   #17
Billy V

I'm all paid up--- Do I still need to sign in at OEX ?
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 01:15 PM   #18
PAL

Quote:
I'm all paid up--- Do I still need to sign in at OEX ?
No, you have the green light to launch at 5 am anywhere within tourney boundaries.

Originally we were going to offer Hobie duffle bags at sign in. Seems it would be better to hand them out at the park.
Old 06-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #19
Mr Mugu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post
Ok bass man. You branching out Josh?
All the big bass bycatch he gets while huntin' the big ones....watch out LJ!
Mr Mugu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
467echo
Rookie of the Month Club

coffee & donuts at check in?