Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

November 6, 2008' was awesome.

I leisurely launched just before Jim Sammons and the kayak fishing representative for the MLPA ( Paul Lebowitz) to stuff the tank with Greenback Mackerel. Since the prolific hungry Bonita have been hitting every bait in short order I didn't leave for the fishing grounds until I had thirty pieces, and not one less. I went out out and away until I reached a fishy looking zone that I was pretty sure would produce today, and boy did it. I know Yellowtail sometimes school with Bonita, but I'm starting to wonder about Thresher Sharks too . In the opposate order from my last trip, I hooked a Thresher Shark on my first bait of the day. She was around 90 lbs, and released in short order with 1' of flouro and a $1 hook attached, still green and hot. I quickly donated my next bait to a large Bonita that sucked down the hook and was bleeding like a stuck Tuna on deck, so I waived over a Lobster fisherman for some fresh bait, and re-tied my hook. Five minutes later I notice a flock of birds taking a good look at my flyline, and at first thought one of them was going to dive down for a free meal, then I see a very large Thresher tail slap the crap out of my bait. This was no pup, and I ripped my Mackerel in as fast as I could, no thanks (flouro leader and expensive hook conservation ). I moved about a quarter mile away before dropping in another bait, while watching the meter that had a blank screen the whole way until I see a nice color spot about 50 yards away, a school of Yellowtail that were about 5' below the surface and not making a ripple. I moved into position, and placed my jig well in front of their strike zone. I quickly had a few followers that came all the way to my bow, then they turned off in a hurry . I stayed in this zone for about an hour before my next sighting, another color spot in the distance. Just like the first time, I had a few followers hot on the back of my iron, but as they got closer I ripped my iron in and they turned off without ever seeing me. Usually, I will wait until they get a safe distance away before making another cast so I don't spook the school, but this time the whole school was swimming straight for my fresh flyline Greenback, Yeah! As soon as I put my jig-stick in the rod holder my bait get's real nervous. I pick up the rod and turn off the clicker, then I'm instantly slammed, a solid fish.

This fish put up a serious fight, and tried the old swim around the lobster pot game, but I wasn't having it . With a solid fish on deck the pressure was off, so I popped open a celebratory cold one that was waiting on ice and had a pleasant lunch, without a sole in sight. About another hour passed before I saw some more Yellowtail. These fish were larger, and came right at me. I managed to get a quick cast off with the jig-stick and saw about seven followers, then a monster inhaled my jig about thirty feet off my bow, yeah! This fish absolutely kicked my ass on the long rod, earning my respect and her freedom at the same time, I was happy to watch the trophy swim off, awesome! In the next hour I had to re-tie my leader a couple of times from the relentless Bonita, then my flyline is finally slammed by the right kind, again. This Yellowtail was in the mid-twenties, but fought like a thirty pounder in the cool water. she was hooked right in the corner of the mouth and didn't move a muscle on deck, practically begging for a release, and I didn't see a point in taking this fish either. I'm not saying it's a good idea to call in sick for work or anything, it's not exactly wide open. The Yellowtail are pretty spread out, and it's annoying trying to get through all the Bonita, but I think I know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 11-06-2008 at 09:51 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
Dan

oh man. good work. i was bummed to have to go to work with the way that things were beginning to look.....wtg.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:09 AM   #3
Dennis

SICK! Nice fish Josh!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Nice fish!

chris
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
steveooo

steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Quilted Germ

Do you ever get sick of catching the Yellows...my goodness. Nice job and thanks for your posts.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
THEDanHernandez
Junior

sick moss back
Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
Matt
Support your local pangas

nice job my man!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #9
PAL

Quote:
I leisurely launched just before Jim Sammons and the kayak fishing representative for the MLPA ( Paul Lebowitz)
Nice fish - there was nothing like that going on for us, just bones. We were in 3-hour tour mode, solidifying an important friendship. Now the obvious first-timer and VIP who was with us has a better idea of what we're about and why La Jolla is special to the entire sportfishing side.

If I can thread-jack for just a moment, its been all MLPA all the time the past few weeks. Still not into line-drawing mode, we're gearing up for what's to come. YOUR future participation will be critical to keeping La Jolla open.

Paul
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM   #10
dorado50

I keep telling myself "that if Josh can do it so can I" Well I can't! You truly have a gift! Nice 35lber,dude.........
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #11
Siebler

Nice fish Josh

Tough weekend call. Yellowtail, Bonito and Threshers or Ducks Dove Pheasant Turkey and Quail. Hmmm.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #12
h2ofishfo

dud wow ! chaulk it up 2 time on the water sweet u take so many post pictures u even got a picture pose down. looking 2 your left is definitely your best side
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #13
linghunter
skunk

Is it that time of year again?

Yup! Soon as everyone else stops Josh starts.

Paul
linghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #14
DESTROYER

TOAD! WTG Josh!
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #15
ezcompany

beautiful fish, thanks for the report !
ezcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:38 PM   #16
THE DARKHORSE

I would set up the decoys.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
Nice fish Josh

Tough weekend call. Yellowtail, Bonito and Threshers or Ducks Dove Pheasant Turkey and Quail. Hmmm.

I went out for an afternoon session today, feeling a little obligated after yesterdays bite, but I would set up some decoys....today was the exact opposite.....completely dead (I didn't even lose one bait to a Bonita). Who knows, a few miles down the point could of gone off, but from the half to the corner was completely dead today, for me. I know others caught some random Bonita and one fellow hooked a shark on the flyline. I do know the sportfishing boats were fishing south La Jolla and did find the Bonita, maybe the south end of town would be the call.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #17
Will B.

As I was launching early this afternoon I saw a bunch of boils just past the surf in pretty shallow water. This brownish looking fish about 12 " jumps out of the water and then this huge silver head pops out of the water. I swear it was a white sea bass. If so there were a bunch of them there tearing up the water.
Will B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
I went out for an afternoon session today, feeling a little obligated after yesterdays bite, but I would set up some decoys....today was the exact opposite.....completely dead (I didn't even lose one bait to a Bonita). Who knows, a few miles down the point could of gone off, but from the half to the corner was completely dead today, for me. I know others caught some random Bonita and one fellow hooked a shark on the flyline. I do know the sportfishing boats were fishing south La Jolla and did find the Bonita, maybe the south end of town would be the call.
Thanks man, Ducks it is

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
esdees
The Good Clone

Nice fish.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #20
lamb

nice job Josh!

You're getting that big fish grin tuned up to a perfection!