Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2021, 06:24 PM   #1
BenCantrell

Florida fourth report - mutton snapper and snorkel fishing

Fourth Florida report! I recently bought a diver down flag, and on Saturday I wanted to try it out by snorkeling a wreck just off the beach in Vero Beach. It seemed like a cool way to check out what species of fish are down there that I haven't caught yet. Our launch was the easiest we've done in the surf.

Early in the morning there wasn't anyone else diving the wreck, so we drifted around it and fished a bit. There wasn't anything biting besides a couple of hairy blennies.

We wanted to troll lures up and down the beach too, so we did that before snorkeling so the sun would be higher when we got in the water. I trolled a pair of Rapalas and got my first kayak mutton snapper.

Ally got one as well.

We paddled up to a small private pier and saw a school of decent sized jacks, but I didn't get any follows when I cast to them, and pretty soon I lost track of where the school went.

Trolling back to the wreck I got a blue runner and another mutton snapper.

Back at the wreck I dropped my anchor, but I didn't like how close my kayak was to some other people snorkeling, so I pulled it up and towed the kayak forward to a better spot. I was really amused with myself, haha.

Ally tied her kayak to mine so they'd make a steady platform for climbing back in.

We both have waterproof cameras, but mine has a floating wrist strap, and hers doesn't, so we took turns using mine and left hers safe in her kayak.

Visibility wasn't the best, but we still got to see a lot of fish. It was a really cool experience. Here's a school of mostly silver porgies and sergeant majors.

Juvenile damselfish, probably cocoa.

Juvenile yellowtail parrotfish (a species I need) and adult Molly Miller.

Bar jack flanked by two yellow jacks.

Molly Miller posing.

Bluehead wrasse (another species I need) and dusky damselfish.

Found this and a pair of sunglasses.

The last thing I wanted to try was snorkel fishing. I've done this in shallow water near shore, but fishing the wreck in deeper water with a bit of current would be more challenging. I saw three fish species I hadn't caught before - yellowtail parrotfish, bluehead wrasse, and some sort of scorpionfish - but I wasn't able to catch any of them. There was always something more aggressive that got to my bait first, even though I actively tried to jerk it away from them. Here's the worst of the worst, a slippery dick.

The paddling and the snorkeling and the sun wore us out, so we called it a day even though there were fish that needed to be caught. This was the first time we were able to land on the beach exactly where we wanted. It wasn't as crowded as previous days/beaches.

Here's the route. We barely left the beach!

Miles: 6.6
Hours: 5:59
Water Temp: 82
BenCantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:18 AM   #2
SoCalEDC

looks like a great day out on/in the water and the water temp at 82 had to feel great.

Pretty cool report.

Every time you post a pic of that eddyline it intrigues me.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #3
iethinker

MMMMMM

Mutton Snapper is delicious!

iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:17 AM   #4
JohnMckroidJr

Good job on the UW photos. Using a snorkel to put your bait in front of the desired species is a new level of selective fishing. Too bad the other fish kept getting to the bait first. Just South of there is Walton Rocks beach, it is on my list of places to try for access to the power plant outfall, which reportedly attracts a lot of fish during the colder months, including Permit. Permit is still on my bucket list of species to take off the kayak. Snorkel with caution as there are reportedly a lot of sharks in that area.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:26 AM   #5
JohnMckroidJr

[QUOTE=iethinker;314982]Mutton Snapper is delicious!

2x -- They are delicious!
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2021, 06:30 AM   #6
BenCantrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Just South of there is Walton Rocks beach, it is on my list of places to try for access to the power plant outfall, which reportedly attracts a lot of fish during the colder months, including Permit. Permit is still on my bucket list of species to take off the kayak. Snorkel with caution as there are reportedly a lot of sharks in that area.
Permit would be an exciting target! I'm game.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:41 AM   #7
BenCantrell

And sharks I'd do from shore...
Old 07-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenCantrell View Post
Permit would be an exciting target! I'm game.
I need to do more recon on this. I have seen successful videos using, a Crab casted on a lead head at breezing schools near the outfall in April.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:26 PM   #9
Revoguys

Mutton snappers are delicious! I just came from the florida keys for a week, windy as hell but still managed a few snapper and groupers
Attached Images

Revoguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 12:56 PM   #10
BenCantrell

Nice! Hope that Nassau grouper went back in the water quick.