Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 PM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

to VHF or not VHF ?

Alright guys,

this is the question. Comments and opinions please.

Is it really worth it for people who barely go fishing 1-4 times a month?, I am not like Jim day who goes off miles into the ocean to fish off of clean water. I stay within a mile or two of land.

I figured the only time i would really need it, is because i am bleeding to death due to a shark attack

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-24-2011 at 09:23 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #2
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
Is it really worth it for people who barely go fishing 1-4 times a month?
I'd say so. I have never had to be rescued myself but I have used my handheld to contact the harbor patrol to get them to come and and help others several times. I'd say it's an absolute necessity if hoop netting break walls at night. I also check the weather any time I see any kind of major condition change. That saved my ass one day at Redondo, when the wind swung to the North and I was down at Rocky Point. I still had to paddle through some rough stuff but I got a jump on it because they already had the weather change on the radio, when I first notice the wind was starting to swing.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Politi-Cal
Junior

Better safe than sorry. I have never used my vhf in an emergency (hope I never do) but I take it none the less.
Politi-Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

My radio weighs well over a pound and is too bulky to keep on my vest. I used to take it with me and keep it in the front hatch for emergencies. So far none have occurred.

These days I only carry my iphone. It works great at least three miles off LJ and O'side. I have not tested the limits of the signal but I suspect it will go a bit farther.

I carry it in a waterproof pouch that hangs around my neck so it is always easily accessible. I can operate it while it is the pouch so it is really convenient. I have not flipped while wearing the phone but I am sure it would survive the event. This is not something I plan to test, however.

The iPhone, (and most other smart phones), can double as a GPS and compass as well. If you have a good charting app such as Navonics, you can even chart your trip and mark way points.

I agree that you can never be too prepared when it comes to safety while on a kayak but I feel safe enough when armed with my phone. On the other hand, you will probably not catch me fishing in some of the places and conditions that Jim and others sometimes do.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
My radio weighs well over a pound and is too bulky to keep on my vest. I used to take it with me and keep it in the front hatch for emergencies. So far none have occurred.

These days I only carry my iphone. It works great at least three miles off LJ and O'side. I have not tested the limits of the signal but I suspect it will go a bit farther.

I carry it in a waterproof pouch that hangs around my neck so it is always easily accessible. I can operate it while it is the pouch so it is really convenient. I have not flipped while wearing the phone but I am sure it would survive the event. This is not something I plan to test, however.

The iPhone, (and most other smart phones), can double as a GPS and compass as well. If you have a good charting app such as Navonics, you can even chart your trip and mark way points.

I agree that you can never be too prepared when it comes to safety while on a kayak but I feel safe enough when armed with my phone. On the other hand, you will probably not catch me fishing in some of the places and conditions that Jim and others sometimes do.

Bob

Yes, I agree with Bob. I currently have this phone. I have dropped it in the ocean soaked it in water, dropped it in freshwater and it is still working. I did like the fact that with VHF i could communicate with the group, but 95% im usually fishing alone on my kayak a mile off any pier. What i didn't like is that the VHF was pretty bulky to leave on my PFD, I would be more afraid of dropping in the ocean then anything else. I do agree to be safe than sorry, so i am still debating.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDYQ8wIwAg#

Last edited by wiredantz; 01-24-2011 at 09:37 PM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
poorpaddy

Send a message via Yahoo to poorpaddy
I have high hopes that I'll catch something large enough to drag me several miles...so I got a Standard Horizon HX851 and love it. But in all seriousness, being new to Kayak fishing I'm terrified of some of the speed boats I can clearly see folks drinking at high speeds and of course the possibility that too long in the sun and heavy tides could be easily under estimated.
poorpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:47 AM   #7
old_rookie

I bought a used Uniden unit. I take it with me each time I go out - clipped to my PFD and leashed. I monitor channel 16, and a few others. Obviously it works for listening, but I'm still wondering if it works the other way around, I try a radio check each time, but get no response. So I don't know if it is broadcasting far enough or I'm requesting a radio check incorrectly. I have done a basic test at home with a radio scanner and that works. As others have mentioned, I don't go out very far - at most 2 miles from the launch at LJ Shores.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:53 AM   #8
mtnbykr2

It's really your life line, God forbid anything bad happens out there, and for
the safety factor, I think it is a no brainer. They are a significant investment, but I think it is a necessity...
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
Jimmyz123

http://www.expansys-usa.com/expansys..._campaign=base

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
I bought a used Uniden unit. I take it with me each time I go out - clipped to my PFD and leashed. I monitor channel 16, and a few others. Obviously it works for listening, but I'm still wondering if it works the other way around, I try a radio check each time, but get no response. So I don't know if it is broadcasting far enough or I'm requesting a radio check incorrectly. I have done a basic test at home with a radio scanner and that works. As others have mentioned, I don't go out very far - at most 2 miles from the launch at LJ Shores.
I have had the same wonder about my radio so I took it to West Marine and tested it with a sales rep. It worked in the store and the rep also told me that we can use channel 16 to do radio checks, DON'T DO THIS. I did a radio check on 16 and was confirmed but was then told to use Channel 9 in the future.

I think it is always better to have a VHF and a Cell Phone on you. I have researched and found water proof Bluetooth devices I added the link above if anyone is interested. I'm sure it's more water resistant but still that's better than not. It's all about safety, that one trip where you say, "Heck with that." You're going to wish you had it. We have seen it posted on here many times. Accidents can happen and you never know when. Be safe, get a radio and have a cell phone.

Last edited by Jimmyz123; 01-25-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Adding a link to the page.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
dorado50

Channel 16 is for emergencies only,(for the most part). Its the coast guard channel. Used for reporting hazards on the water, stranded boats,etc. Its like the land #911. Very annoying when montoring 16 and some nitwit calls in for a radio check. Channel 27 is now set up for radio checks only,its supposed to be in full operation now.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Channel 16 is for emergencies only,(for the most part). Its the coast guard channel. Used for reporting hazards on the water, stranded boats,etc. Its like the land #911. Very annoying when montoring 16 and some nitwit calls in for a radio check. Channel 27 is now set up for radio checks only,its supposed to be in full operation now.
It would be nice for some of us NOOBS to know this stuff. I ususally put my radio on scan and then when it picks up a channel that has conversations going on I'll try for a radio check. Does anyone know what Channel 88 is used for? I've heard some interesting chatter on that channel from time to time.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #12
ratdog

My 2 cents: I feel much safer with a radio. $150 or so gives me peace of mind.
I always do radio checks and very seldom get a response back, I'll be sure to check Ch 27 tomorrow, good info thanks
ratdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:10 AM   #13
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
Somewhere I remember reading or hearing that radio checks were ok on 16. Ok, well, that is my mistake in trying to get a response on a radio check. I'm glad I asked. I know it is for emergencies, so I did wait until there were no transmissions of that type.

I posted a chart of how each channel is used. I'll look it up.... its on page 21
http://www.uniden.com/pdf/MHS350om.pdf

And some research from BoatSafe.com:
The Coast Guard First District (New England, south to northern New Jersey) is now answering radio checks on VHF maritime channel 16, operations permitting. Radio checks will not be answered when CG radio operators are handling distress communications.
The purpose of this policy change is to help reduce hoax MAYDAY calls. Radio checks with the Coast Guard are not permitted in any other location.
You should limit your radio checks to working channels.

Last edited by old_rookie; 01-25-2011 at 08:21 AM. Reason: channel 16 info
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:27 AM   #14
JoeBeck

I always carry a VHF. I have used it to call for help for myself and my wife once and have used it to call for help for other boaters 2 times, those boaters had cell phones and could not get a hold of people who could help them. One call from my radio and help was on its way.

Better safe than not. A phone is good to carry as well but if you need immediate assistance on the water channel 16 will get you help whether from a rescue personnel or a boat that is close by.

I also like the radio to communicate with others I am on the water with.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #15
JoeBeck

Yeah, I don't think you are supposed to do radio checks on 16 since that channel is for emergencies only. But even when you feel your radio is out of range most likely the coast guard will be able to hear your distress signal. I have an icom m34 and last time out at Catalina by the west end a boater and his family were stuck on shore, for some reason his radio did not work or he did not know how to use it, he could not get a hold of anyone on his phone and to make things worst he had no food on the boat, just beer and a small amount of water. I radioed out on channel 16, I was heard in San Pedro and my message was relayed to harbor patrol in Avalon who could not hear me on channel 9 (the channel they monitor). Help was on the way for the boater and his family quickly. Stupid boater who a kayaker helped out, I gave his family some energy bars too that I also carry on my kayak in case of emergencies .

If you are a boater in the ocean, don't beach your boat like you are at a lake, tides change, swells come in and out, next thing you know your boat is not in the water anymore and stuck on a beach.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #16
dorado50

The United States Power Squadrons,based here in San Diego, offer begining boating classes(seamanship) and advanced courses such as piloting,weather,navigation,etc. All great classes if you want to improve your water and boating skills especially for the safety of others....
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote