Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 AM   #1
andrewtp
Awesome Possum

Boiler checkers?

I haven't had much experience catching bass off the boiler rocks. I think Friday I'm gonna head down to CdM area to the boilers w some plastics. What retrieve works best ? And what depth is best for the swimmies? I know for fishin the bay to keep the bait on bottom but not sure what will get more bites at the boilers. Any battle info is a welcome and appreciated
andrewtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
taggermike

Boiler rock fishing is a blast. The calicos have always seamed especially aggressive in the boilers to me. A fast retrieve I find works better and if you try to work the bottom you'll get hung up often. I've found the calis wait right at the edge of the white water and pounce on the bait fish that a disiriented in the wash. One last thing watch your back. Its easy to drift in to the boiler or have a larger wave roll in. If you have a hobie especially, no reverse, but on any yak, keep your paddle in your lap and have your head on a swivle. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtp View Post
... And what depth is best for the swimmies?...
"Fish high. If that doesn't work, fish low. If that doesn't work fish in between."
CheapPelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
robmandel

Rig weedless. Weedless heads like war heads are ok but they will hang in rocks. Not the hook always but the head.

Weedless like mc slugs (a personal favorite) or big jerk baits (like zoom super flukes. Another personal fav) or gulp jerk shad rigged with owner sled heads or Texas rigged. The narrower weight is better suited.

Trick. Cast right into rocks with jerk bait. And I mean right into as in slams into rocks or lands just short. Immediately put into gear. Tight drags and spectra of course. Then let sink. Keep rod top always pointed straight ahead at bait. No jerking to set hook bill dance style. Let line go taught then wind. Do not swing on fish !!!!!

Let it fall. No retrieve necessary. Five cranks and you're past the fish anyways.