Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Quilted Germ

La Jolla Launch

I'm new to kayak fishing and would love to give LJ a go, but I'm wondering why everyone seems to launch at the shores and not somewhere closer to the actual fishing spot. Seems like there are a lot of potential launch areas near downtown LJ, would just need the help getting the kayaks to the launch area. If you have two guys, seems not too bad.....Am I crazy? Stupid? Also, how far north have the YTs been caught in SD county? Heard about them around Cardiff but never seen them. Thanks for the info and looking forward to my first YT off the kayak.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
esdees
The Good Clone

Many people launch at the shores because you can drive onto the beach to unload and load, and the surf is very minimal. Even though it's only sand, it is considered a boat launch, so there are no swimmers, surfers, etc to navigate.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdees View Post
Even though it's only sand, it is considered a boat launch, so there are no swimmers, surfers, etc to navigate.
I almost ran over two swimmers Tues, and the tourist yakkers are as bad as I have ever seen them. I was hit by one Sunday afternoon and they broke one of my poles!! Boogie boarders think it is their area to boogie in and it never gets any better because the ignorant people turn over to new ones daily.And parking is becoming horrendous even at 4am! Maybe it is time to launch from the tide pools or something... I know... I need to find someone with access to the pier for launching.

All in all, I groan, and I complain, but I still go 2-3 times a week!
Heck, I am going to go right now!
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

LJ Launch site with lots of potential

I grew up in La Jolla and know the area like the back of my hand. Most of the La Jolla beach or rock launch locations lack nearby parking and the access involves climbing down a cliff. The few sandy beaches often have a dangerous shore break that would flip the best of us. There is one exception, the Children's Pool.

Back in the day, (before the seals took over), The Children's Pool, aka Casa cove was a place that people would launch zodiacs and other small boats. There is even a paved, although steep and bumpy, ramp to the beach that drops you off right in the middle of where the seals like to lay in the sun. These days it is unclear if launching there would be OK.

Before the lifeguard station at the Casa was closed a few months ago, I stopped in to see if I could get an answer. As a former lifeguard, I was able to have a very candid talk with the guards on duty.

They told me that as far as they were concerned, this place is a public beach and that I could launch a kayak there any time I wanted. On the other hand, they reminded me that it is illegal to "harass" the seals. The problem is that the definition of harassment is open to interpretation. To most reasonable people, as long as one does not overtly try to bother these critters, everything should be fine. As a kid, I used to snorkel with the seals swimming around me all the time. Unfortunately, there are some zealots who think that we humans are harassing wildlife by simply sharing the planet with them. To these people, some of them real nut cases, setting foot on the Casa beach should be a hanging offence.

I have thought of testing all of this by launching at the Casa but do not think that it would be wise without some backup and an official ruling from the City. This might be something that we, the big WE, might want to push forward.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #5
Quilted Germ

So people really launch at the shores...some paddle to the pier...then all the way past the cove? I was at Scripps Aquarium the other day and seeing that from a bird's view seems like a lot of paddling. Must take awhile.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
I grew up in La Jolla and know the area like the back of my hand. Most of the La Jolla beach or rock launch locations lack nearby parking and the access involves climbing down a cliff. The few sandy beaches often have a dangerous shore break that would flip the best of us. There is one exception, the Children's Pool.

Back in the day, (before the seals took over), The Children's Pool, aka Casa cove was a place that people would launch zodiacs and other small boats. There is even a paved, although steep and bumpy, ramp to the beach that drops you off right in the middle of where the seals like to lay in the sun. These days it is unclear if launching there would be OK.

Before the lifeguard station at the Casa was closed a few months ago, I stopped in to see if I could get an answer. As a former lifeguard, I was able to have a very candid talk with the guards on duty.

They told me that as far as they were concerned, this place is a public beach and that I could launch a kayak there any time I wanted. On the other hand, they reminded me that it is illegal to "harass" the seals. The problem is that the definition of harassment is open to interpretation. To most reasonable people, as long as one does not overtly try to bother these critters, everything should be fine. As a kid, I used to snorkel with the seals swimming around me all the time. Unfortunately, there are some zealots who think that we humans are harassing wildlife by simply sharing the planet with them. To these people, some of them real nut cases, setting foot on the Casa beach should be a hanging offence.

I have thought of testing all of this by launching at the Casa but do not think that it would be wise without some backup and an official ruling from the City. This might be something that we, the big WE, might want to push forward.

Does anyone have thoughts on this?

Bob
I'd be willing to launch my yak with you from the Children's Pool. As you said, it is a public beach, and our "intended use" is to launch our kayaks into the water, nothing more.

I'm sure we could be careful enough not to harass any sunbathing mammals.
-I wouldn't mind taking along a bag of frozen anchovy just incase we got mugged, or shaken down while passing through the neighborhood.

A Court Decision has Ordered the City to make the Children's Pool Beach exclusively for public use and remove the seals.
This links has some info as well as phone numbers. It seems to say it can be used for swimmers and divers.
http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/pool.shtml
-----------------------
I do think the Shores has smaller surf though. Some of them waves rounding the sea wall could put a hurting on you. Then the seal would eat us. :lol:

Last edited by Billy V; 07-18-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:17 PM   #7
esdees
The Good Clone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
So people really launch at the shores...some paddle to the pier...then all the way past the cove? I was at Scripps Aquarium the other day and seeing that from a bird's view seems like a lot of paddling. Must take awhile.
There are plenty of people who launch elsewhere, like Marine St, but the surf at the shores is usually much mellower because it is so sheltered. I'm assuming you're new to kayaking (not just kayak fishing), so I would suggest you launch at the shores a few times without fishing gear to get a feel for your kayak in the surf. Then go from there and decide what you're comfortable with. Just remember, getting out through the surf is easier than coming back in. Leash or stow everything.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:48 PM   #8
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
From the launch to the pier is about 0.7 miles. About the same for the launch to the edge of the reserve. That's about a 10-15 minute paddle depending on conditions. Since a typical outing usually ends up covering 5-10 miles total, that little extra is not too much extra effort for the convenience of a drive up beach launch and mellow surf. From where I come from, the additional time to drive to LJ and the additional time it would take to carry everything to the water and setup outweighs the time it takes to paddle from the cove. Of course, if you are going to the pier there is no closer launch spot other than dragging the yak down the steps and launching through the big surf at the north end of LJ shores.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
blackcloud9
Kayaker

I second the Casa launch idea, I too have been kicking that around in my
head for months as they finalize the discussion. I have launched a few
times from Casa Beach stairs area. By law, you are not allowed to launch
a "floating device" between this spot, and LJ Shores. Your mileage may
vary depending on time of day.

I have been spending summer weekend days playing with my kids at
Shores, and often am amazed at the size of the windswell at the Shores
"sheltered" launch - when Big Rock channel (Palomar St.) is serving up
ankle slappers on the sets.

Shorter swell periods, aka windswells fill into the shores better than the LJ
reefs areas.

So, I think you are correct sir, however finding live bait consistently can
be an issue over here.

Launching at Big Rock Saturday.
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Big Rock

What is the parking and beach access situation at Big Rock? If I remember right you have to scramble down some rocks to get to the beach. It has been a while since I have been there.

Bob
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #11
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Childrens Pool Kayak Access

A Court Decision has Ordered the City to make the Children's Pool Beach exclusively for public use and remove the seals.
This links has some info as well as phone numbers. It seems to say it can be used for swimmers and divers.
http://www.sandiego.gov/lifeguards/beaches/pool.shtml
-----------------------

I checked out the contact names on the Lifeguard list. As luck would have it, several of the current senior lifeguard officers are people with whom I worked many years ago when I was a seasonal lifeguard. I have emailed them with questions about using the Casa as a kayak launch site and will post the responses that I get in this forum.

I suspect that the official response will be that floating devices are not allowed on this beach. If that is the case, I would like to suggest that we, (the kayaking community), unite and try to get that rule changed.

Stay tuned.

Bob
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #12
prowlerdude

I wish you luck! please be careful because the zealots dont care about the court ruling and will try and badger your into doing something foolish while another video tapes you.

These are not normal people. Did you see them when they had the nut jobs with hooks hanging by ropes last October? Coo coo for coco puffs. Doesnt help that the head kook in charge of the Animal Protection & Rescue League heading the pro seal efforts has allege ties to eco-terrorist

http://www.activistcash.com/biography.cfm/bid/3247
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 209138741-M.jpg (56.4 KB, 297 views)
File Type: jpg 209139547-M.jpg (38.8 KB, 267 views)
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #13
dgax65
Guerro Grande

They're never going to get a bite with that leader - they should switch to fluorcarbon.
I'd gladly troll that bait down at the Guadalupe Islands.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:05 AM   #14
bajadog
I eats what I kills

I used to launch off of Camino de la Costa, just North of Avenida Cresta.

We two man carry the yaks on the South side of the point (past the pump station).
Last time I was there the waves were less than ankle slappers.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:06 PM   #15
dorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgax65 View Post

They're never going to get a bite with that leader - they should switch to fluorcarbon.
I'd gladly troll that bait down at the Guadalupe Islands.
Not an effective hook without the barb though. Unless you intent to C&R (in this case I would).
Old 07-19-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
Billy V

I was down at the Children's Pool yesterday watching "Actual Children" using the beach.

All the while an Eco-terrorist from Seal Watch was spreading propaganda and Video taping family's and children at play.
-Notice the Propaganda Seal Watch signs ("Please Do Not Disturb the Seals") that they place next to the Official City of San Diego Sign (stating "Public Access on the Beach is Allowed at All Times").

This sign says, ("Please Do Not Go On The Beach") The family to the left of the sign seems conflicted after reading Both Signs.

Clearly designed to confuse the vacationing tourists who's signatures they were soliciting to send to Senator Christine Kehoe.

DSafety, do you have a key to this launch ramp lock?

Conditions at The Pool

--------------------------------------------
I listened as She spread Her message saying how "people do evil things to the seals" and laughed out loud.
-she got pissed.

Before leaving I couldn't help myself, so I waited for Her to turn around and then said, "look that child is clubbing a seal". She almost fell off the sea wall while turning around. :lol:
Old 07-19-2008, 01:45 PM   #17
prowlerdude

I thought all signs on Public property needed a sign permit?
prowlerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
Billy V

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowlerdude View Post
I thought all signs on Public property needed a sign permit?
Maybe they do have a permit, because She had a Camp set up with a table, under a large umbrella, loaded with propaganda literature.

Everything pouring from her mouth was negative, as she accused people of harassing the seals. (none of which was taking place)

It was funny to watch her holding the video camera in one hand, while passing around a clipboard with the other.

Some people signed to Her agenda, others familiar with Her spiel walked right by.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:22 PM   #19
Handymansd
Ancient Member

It would be ironic... no... funny... no... righteous for someone to file an official civil suit against the actual individual/s that are pestering people on public beaches. I am offended and have made that clear, and yet these individuals continue to harass myself and others despite the court orders. They seem to like to disregard the courts rulings, and since it is hard to get a contempt order in this situation a civil case seems like just the ticket! Maybe they would not be so quick and brave when they're wallets have been emptied a couple times! Oh wait, then they might have to fish to eat! This could be fun!lol
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #20
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Children's Pool

Great shots of people actually using this public beach. I wonder where the seals went. When I was a kid, the seals were around, but kept to themselves over on Seal Rock, a bit north of the beach. Seal Rock is a preserve set aside for the seals. They were regular visitors to the Casa but slept, (and pooped) on the rock.

At some point over that last 20 years, they took up residence on the beach and someone decided that they were more important than the humans for whom this man made beach was built. I do not know the details as to how this came to be but it would be interesting to learn the history. If anyone knows, please post.

In response to Billy V's question, I do not have a key to the Casa ramp gate. I used to but they have changed the locks.

I am waiting for a response to my email to the Lifeguard Chief, Ken Hewitt, in which I asked for a clarification of the rules regarding launching kayaks from this site. Ken is a reasonable guy but he has to go by the rules. Should it turn out that the rules prohibit using this beach as a launch site, I would like to suggest that we try to get the rules changed.

I have two thoughts on this subject. The easiest solution would be to get our government, (remember, they supposedly work for us), to specifically aprove launching kayaks at the Casa. There is going to be a bunch of work done to the facilities there at some point. The lifeguard tower has been closed because it is falling apart. This facility will probably be rebuilt and upgraded. The beach is also supposed to be dredged to clean up the seal poop which has made the water in this area unsafe for human contact. As part of this upgrade, we could lobby that a dedicated kayak access be created.

The other option is that while they are reconstructing the lifeguard tower, they add a ramp to the beach on the south side of the sea wall. There is a stairway there now but stairways are not very kayak friendly. This access is not as sheltered as the Childrend's Pool beach, especially during the winter but it would be better than nothing.

I may be tilting at windmills but I think that if the kayak user community bands together we could make this happen. I will try to get things started. Is anyone else interested in helping out?

Bob