Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
-scallywag-
Banned

On the road.....AGAIN!!!

This one's for all the "desperate housewife's" up north....

After hearing rumors of WFO cbass on a tuff to reach (for boats) squidbed way up north, I had enough, and by 3pm friday afternoon fighting thru cold sweats, and the shakes (purple fever), I was texting or calling every salty kayaker I knew....after a few maybe's I finally found a biter...none other than WCW legend and BWE celeb slayer sharonkayak!!!! We made some quick plans and decided that since its a three hr drive up there, and we had to be back to SD by 2pm saterday, that we should leave ASAP, launch in the middle of the night and fish till 9am. We where both amped to try out the new batch of CANDYCATCHER squidjigs we just got.

We where loaded and on the road by 10pm and got to the spot around 1am. We where greeted by high tide and 3-4' @ 8sec relentless shore pound with some bigger sets....really?!?!

So we look around for alternate launch spots but that wnw windswell was getting in everywhere so we said fuck it and unloaded at the spot...we could see the lightboat and maybe 20boats out past the kelp but since it sounded pretty dead out there we took our time getting ready and praying to the surf gods for less surf, which was weird....long story short after getting rejected a few times just trying to haul the yak into the surf, sharon finally got out and narrowly avoided getting slammed....scary....pretty much the same deal for me except i screamed a little more.

It was 3am when we made the quick peddle out the the lightboat, which had a nice float going, and we put the candycatchers to work....in no time we where tanked up on big angry red squids....by that time the south wind was kickin and quickly built to whitecaps, eeerrrrr!!! so we had to sit behind the light boat for shelter while we kept making squid....I was just about to start complaining when, as fast as it started blowin, it stopped.....we started metering around and found a nice area of squid on the bottom between the fleet (haha maybe 20boats and the kelp and set up there as grey came.....waiting, waiting, meter around...take a nap....wait....by 730 we saw the first fish go over the rail rite next to us....then they slowly started trickling in until around 830-9 it was full speed all smaller fish prob, nothing much over 30, but lots of them on the meter moving the squid around in big balls...pretty cool except i couldn't get bit....finnally killed a few squid and put them on the dropper....just to get them to stand out, it got picked up pretty quickly, spunky little fish when they are that small, tail beats almost felt like a yt.....anyway stuck it, tied it down then started helping one of the only other yakers out there rig up his baitrod with a dropperloop while waiting for sharon to get her's..at that point sharon was finnaly hooked up got it to the boat and we where done....i tried to get her to release it and keep fishing but she had to be back to sd by 2pm for work so we took some pics and left them biting....one of the sportboats that had just pulled up had a triple going as we peddled by, and tons of fish doing backflips on the meter....really hard for me to leave, but we still had a long drive home.

luckly the surf had backed off a hair, but there where still guys pulling into yoga barrels down the line so it still wasnt pretty....the close interval and steep beach made for a pretty sketchy landing....we both got pounded by the whitewater, sharon bent up her mirage drive and i got rolled just inside the impact zone... we didnt loose any gear and our fish stayed tied down so it was all good and made it that much more of an adventure....got home at 2pm saterday, threw the fish on ice and crashed.

So far I'm 2for3 on the roadtrip squid missions this year, so if you hear “rumors” of a bite, don't wait to read the reports online or get more info....just go and figure the rest out when u get there....and FWIW there are rumors of at least 4-5 different beds biting between hermosa and ventura rite now.....GO GET'EM!!!

Big thanks to Randy from CandyCatchers for the jigs and Sharon for being such a badass!!

-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:08 PM   #2
buttchaser
Float Tuber

You guys (gal) are nuts . I like it
buttchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Dan

I don't know scally, zeros is maxing, maybe we should paddle from leo. No way, we're chargin'!

Nice job Special Agent Utah and Tyler!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Iceman
Administrator

I hate you two!

Hardcore!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Thanks for the report! Good job on the seabass! Unfortunately for me there is no way I can fish during the week, and that's pretty much when most of the good fishing is done. I'm sure by this weekend it'll be over but I'll take a crack at it anyway.

"Desperate Housewifes".....I call BS especially with pics!

Good go'n out there!
Old 06-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
mtnbykr2

AWESOME effort to both of you, I am headed out saturday am hope they are still there...be nice if it stays like this awhile for a change....thanks for the report
Old 06-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #7
StinkyMatt

Now you are moving into others' turf? Wth?

Everyone knows its against the rules for the northern boys to go south and you southerners better not surf the waves up here.

Kudos to you for Helping out a guy rig up his stuff, I remember on my first trip in Lj you gave my some squid when I didn't know what a squid was.

Congrats to you.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

comon matt the seabass are biting...! I'll meet you there tonight!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
radastaff

nice report

gratz on scoring

i was out there too
but not as early

took me til 9:30
got a 29#

lost a few earlier

mine had worms
first time fer wsb
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
steveooo

Like!
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by radastaff View Post
nice report

gratz on scoring

i was out there too
but not as early

took me til 9:30
got a 29#

lost a few earlier

mine had worms
first time fer wsb
don't worry bout those worms they cook away, great job on the wasabe
thanks again for the insight.
Matt your not allowed to pass Long Beach County Line....
Old 06-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Dave k

Nice! I saw you guys out there. I was on the camo OK trident. Scored one early and was back on the sand by 7am.

Stoked you guys got 'em!
Dave k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
roadx

SWEEEEEEET!
Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #14
lbsurf2ca

damnitttttt.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
YakMedic

Wait a minute, your telling me that there are wsb that can be caught places other than LJ? That cant be correct I thought that wsb can only be at LJ or Catalina. My whole world is now upside down......

Nice job putting in the effort for the biscuits.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #16
jorluivil

Small WSB are so cute.

Congrats on hunting for and catching what you were looking for!!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
RK

[QUOTE=jorluivil;121742]Small WSB are so cute.
QUOTE]

You know what's even more adorable...

plugging the gunnel of the skiff with tankers while georgie porgie is getting blown down the beach....

This was a week prior and even Scally's smallest has a good ten pounds on georgie porgie's personal best and thats just an average night this summer.......

Just sayin

I've been doing my best to stay out of the baby mama drama on this site for a while but I don't like pink elephants.

Solid effort Sharon bummer on the busted drives..
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
jorluivil

[QUOTE=RK;121748]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Small WSB are so cute.
QUOTE]

You know what's even more adorable...

plugging the gunnel of the skiff with tankers while georgie porgie is getting blown down the beach....

This was a week prior and even Scally's smallest has a good ten pounds on georgie porgie's personal best and thats just an average night this summer.......

Just sayin

I've been doing my best to stay out of the baby mama drama on this site for a while but I don't like pink elephants.

Solid effort Sharon bummer on the busted drives..

You know what's more adorable than that^^^^^^

The fact that you mention me in so many of your post. If I had a nickle for every time..................................

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Hardcore...

Way to get out there and get it done...

Great write up, huge props to you two for charging it, and getting rewarded. Tricky sets up that way. Imagine the both of you got some air going out, landed safe...only to wonder how it'll be coming in.

And both of you two, and a

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
yani

What a Team!!!! That's hardcore.