Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #1
diehardfisher
Junior

Send a message via ICQ to diehardfisher
Any spearfishers use a hobie here?

I have been continuing my search to buy a kayak and in which have been getting really into spearing, I was wondering if any guys on here spear and use hobies? It doesn't seem like many guys that exclusively bring the guns would spend the money on a hobie, but I am looking to split my time about 50/50 between the two. Just trying to spend my money right, college life wants me to be frugal but I always want the best gear.

Jacob
diehardfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
YakNutz

Bump....I'm also interested in some feedback on this topic.
YakNutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
-scallywag-
Banned

I have a hobie revo and fish or dive off it regularly.

That said, while the Hobies are the best kayak fishing platforms on the market, if you're a serious diver, I dont think the hobies are the way to go.

For diving I would look at the malibu x-factor/x-13/extreme.

1) The hobie hatches are not big enough to put a real gun in, while all of your gear + a 50lb fish will fit inside the hull of the malibu's
2) price, a used malibu x-factors r around for 500 or less
3) weight, the malibu's r much lighter for thier size - easier to get to the reef launch spots
4)diving is pretty physical and most of the work is done with your legs....sucks to peddle a few miles just to kick around for a few hrs in the water, then peddle back.
5)hobie peddles dont work well in the kelp anyway so they become just one more thing on your deck to get in the way or loose.
6)why not just paddle the hobie?....because the hobies (at least the revo and outback) dont track for shit and r not much fun to paddle.

But then again, FISHING from a hobie brings things to a whole new level.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote