Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
SquidJig

To Eat or Not To Eat? (Warning: Contains Graphic Images)

Does anyone know what this stuff is? I've never seen before. It resembles beach tar, grainy, black, and a little tough to break apart. It's everywhere in this fish, in the gut cavity, in connective tissue, in the flesh. It ranges in size from grains of sand to flattened peas. I don't have a problem with nearly invisible worms but this stuff is down right ugly. The fish tasted fine but I couldn't eat it without shredding it and picking out all the black stuff.

So, is fish like this better off in the dumpster? I guess it can't all pass inspection, right?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1140814.jpg (80.8 KB, 953 views)
File Type: jpg P1140817.jpg (64.1 KB, 950 views)
File Type: jpg P1140818.jpg (68.6 KB, 948 views)
File Type: jpg P1140819.jpg (58.0 KB, 940 views)
SquidJig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

freeze it....it will cook away anyhow....parasites
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

What kind if fish was it? maybe blood clots? weird

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbykr2 View Post
freeze it....it will cook away anyhow....parasites

You can always Charbroil it and eat it for extra flavor!!!

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #5
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
You can always Charbroil it and eat it for extra flavor!!!
Just marinate it in preparation H... Definitely fish hemorroids...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:39 PM   #6
The Kid
Loves Surface Irons

Yikes
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #7
deepdvr

That is exactly why I release all the yellows I catch in the back of SD bay.
deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #8
blitzburgh

If it's .410 1300FPS buckshot......sorry, my bad.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
SquidJig

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdvr View Post
That is exactly why I release all the yellows I catch in the back of SD bay.
Thanks, Deepdvr. Now everyone knows my spot!
Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #10
radastaff

grody
never seen that/this

worm castings?
cancer?
mercury deposits?
lead?

i would toss it myself
radastaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #11
SquidJig

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
What kind if fish was it? maybe blood clots? weird
It was a YT. I was guessing blood clots caused by some wicked parasite. From the replies. This seems to be very rare. Bummer. Even when I get a good one, it's bad. I guess I'll just have to keep fishing.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
DanaPT

nasty tuna.

how did it smell?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
Podaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
how did it smell?

like chicken!
Podaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:18 AM   #14
tasteslikechikn54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
how did it smell?
I would say it probably smelled like a chum bucket... I would have tossed it... Tight lines...
tasteslikechikn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
pchen911

Just cut it off and eat it. Do you think they throw away entire fillets if they see parasites when packaging the fish you buy at the supermarket?
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #16
addicted2sp33d
Here fishy fishy fishy...

Save a few pieces, and take it to Hubbs... see what they say!

Maybe we'll all learn something!
addicted2sp33d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #17
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidJig View Post
Does anyone know what this stuff is? I've never seen before. It resembles beach tar, grainy, black, and a little tough to break apart. It's everywhere in this fish, in the gut cavity, in connective tissue, in the flesh. It ranges in size from grains of sand to flattened peas. I don't have a problem with nearly invisible worms but this stuff is down right ugly. The fish tasted fine but I couldn't eat it without shredding it and picking out all the black stuff.

So, is fish like this better off in the dumpster? I guess it can't all pass inspection, right?

I've seen that stuff in one fish. A decent yellow I caught off Point Vicente about a decade ago. The substance looked felt and smelled just like some kind of petroleum based tar. Really weird stuff, that basically did not look like it even belonged in there.

On my fish the stuff was in his flesh around and old injury in the fishes back a actual healed over notch where it looked like it had been bitten by a shark. The weird thing is in that notch it had been attacked by really large parasites that looked like some form of anchor worms. I've never seen anything like them in other fish.

You can kind of see them in this pic.

That's an old pic I put up on Allcoast back in 2001...LOL Time flies when your having fun
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 04:54 PM   #18
Fiskadoro

OK I did some digging through some pics from back in 2001 and I found the archive I made for that trip on disc.

So it's back from October 14 2001, and here's a better pic of the parasites in the fishes back.

So those I think are some kind of anchor worm. All you can see is the tail end with the gills and filaments. Inside the flesh is the bulk of the worm surronded by a hard shell like structure they build inside with kind of a T at the end to hold them in place. I've seen anchor worms in yellows and Dorado an number of times but never any that were even close to being this big.

Now the reason I'm posting this is ever since I caught that fish I've wondered if the oily tar crap was there because of the original injury in the fishes back or it was there as some kind of by product of the worms. I mean the tar was right in the same area but it was not part of the worm. I've looked around online for it and never found anything that described the same thing till your post.

I always figured the tar was from the the original injury and the worms got in there later. Now since your fish has had the same thing I'm starting to think the tar might be some kind of waste product that came from the worms.

In my fish there were several chunks like yours but bigger some almost half an inch long. So I got to ask were there any hard shell like tubular structures near the tar in the flesh of your fish or visble worms associated with it?

You got more guts then I do by the way. Once I saw all that shit in the fish and smelled that oily smell I tossed my fish, but then again I caught it in the PCB Capital of California so I was pretty concerned about the idea of some kind of contamination.

Man looking over those old pics got me going. Here's a C-Bass from the same trip.

The next weekend I got into wide open Albicore 14 miles off Avila...

Now that was a trip. No fish under thirty the biggest 46 and after we filled all our chests then we caught and released 35 and 40 pound fish for hours, trying to break the fifty mark. Epic fishing back then.

Great stuff: thanks for your post. I always wondered if anyone else caught a fish with tar inside.

Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 06:53 PM   #19
Fiskadoro

So I did some reading.

Turns out anchor worms are not true worms but crustaceons or more technically copepods. There are something like 13000 described species many more that have not been classified and about half of the known ones are parasitic. Copepods are specific to their environment so unlike worms you can't get a copepod infestation by eating them in fish. Think of them like extra protean: like fish with internal shrimp, or added mini lobsters in their flesh.

Still could not find anything on the tar. Seems to be a really rare phenomena.

There are so many species of Copepods out there it looks like it's almost impossible to find the life cycle of the exact version I posted above.

That said I now have a theory. If I had to guess I'd say if the tar does come from the anchor worms it's probably waste like copepod crap that normally is absorbed by the fish itself.

Many copepods don't use their host for food but for a good ride to food. I know with sharks they actually feed on small shit that ends up in the water when the sharks feed.

I'd say the copepods in this case are filter feeders kind of like barnacles or mussels. Over time they sweep in various food from the water surrounding the fish. Due to weird adaption of their anatomy when they shit the shit goes into the fish itself. I know that sounds weird, like you would think it's ass end would be outside the fish, but in strictly evolutionary terms there is no need for the copepod to evolve that way, so even though it's gills are in this case external to the fish out of necessity , it's waste or anal cavity is probably located in it's abdominal sections like with most copepods, and in this case it's probably inside the fish.

So the copepod most likely shits right into the fishes flesh, but that is usually not an issue since the amount is tiny and the fishes biology over time naturally just eliminates this through absorption and the excretion.

The deal is any inorganic substance like oil can't be absorbed by the fish.

So over time as the copepod feeds by taking in various organic and inorganic particles out of the surrounding water, it then shits what it can't digest into the flesh of the fishes flesh.

The fish can absorb and then eliminate any organic stuff in that waste however any non organic particles taken in by the copepod that get passed into the fish through the waste can not be eliminated.

The inorganic stuff gets caught in the fishes flesh and over time accumulates creating essentially a inorganic oily waste abscess. The fish creates a structure, a abscess wall, or capsule around this, formed by the fishes adjacent healthy cells in an attempt to keep the inorganic material from infecting neighboring structures. So you essentually end up with little tar balls abscesses in the fish.

The tar I found in my fish looked smelled and even acted like real tar. It even melted and burnt when heated with a lighter. That to me suggest it's real tar. The fact you found similar tar suggests it was not a single event isolated to the fishes injury but a biological process, and if that is true the above bio/waste-accumulation scenario is about the only way I can figure out how it could of possibly gotten in there.

The anchor worms in my fish were huge. about as big around as a pencil and maybe six to eight inches long. My take is theyay had been in there for a long long time. So even though the amount of inorganic oily crap, they may have ingested on a daily basis was extremely small, over the years since it had nowhere to it could of built up into sizable tar balls I found in the fish.

So eating the fish...Hhhhhmmmmm!!! Well if I had to guess: Though the copepods themselves present no danger the tar is a bunch of inorganic possibly toxic waste built up over time. That said the whole point of an abscess is to keep such crap isolated and out of the rest of the tissue. So probably the rest of the flesh is clean and edible but certainy would not cook or eat the tar. It's likely a tiny waste landmine or poison pill stuck in the rest of the clean healthy fish flesh, and it could likely be distributed into the rest of the meat by simply cooking it.

Like I said interesting stuff. Too bad one of us did not save the meat for analysis.

Jim
Old 11-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #20
ful-rac
Emperor

Aww man thats gross! Nice pictures though! Good info jim ive seen worms in fish and all sorts of parasites but never that big! You sure that thing ain't a huge fish tag worth a lot of money or a free rod???? J/k....

Yeah i wouldnt eat that fish either doesnt seem like a good idea id toss it personally.
ful-rac is offline   Reply With Quote