Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
Quilted Germ

Whales....

Going to take the fam out to hopefully get an up close look at some greys in LJ. I'm wondering if there is a particular time of day that we might have a better chance at seeing them. Any ideas?

Gregg
Old 01-06-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Whizz Bang

Gregg, your best bet may be to talk to the guys that do the tours in the preserve considering they spend the most time in the area most heavily trafficked by whales. In all my time at LJ I have seen them only once (in the afternoon). Good luck. Sounds like a great family outing.
Whizz Bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Dan

I'd say just like finding kelps offshore, glassy morning conditions are the best way to spot them. Look for the spouts. I've been seeing them recently between Mission Bay and LJ on the way up. Prime time right now.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

A couple of grays cruised within 100 yards of me on New Year's day. I was off the condo in about 80 feet of water. They were north, heading southwest.

Another good place is near the tip of Point Loma. They make a turn to the east there as they head for Mexico.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
neil travisano
Junior

greys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
Going to take the fam out to hopefully get an up close look at some greys in LJ. I'm wondering if there is a particular time of day that we might have a better chance at seeing them. Any ideas?

Gregg
we were out on new years day and saw them at 1030am by the fish sanctuary marker
neil travisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
greenscales
greenscales

A mile of the point

I saw two biggies spouting about a mile of the Nortwest Corner of LJ Kelp on Monday. Scan the horizon for the geysers. Good luck.
greenscales is offline   Reply With Quote