Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2018, 06:27 AM   #1
dpricenator

High Speed or 2 Speed Spinning reel?

Hey guys, has anyone ever heard of or fished the Roddy 2 speed spinning reels? I am looking for a high speed spinner to pair up with a 10 foot Okuma Nomad Travel Rod. I'll be dodging bullets in PLaya Del Carmen, this June and plan on doing some surf fishing before the family wakes up each day. From what I can tell, poppers and flashy metal are the way to go. So in order to get a 6 inch 3 oz Popper to do it's thing, I need a reel, that can bring the speed. The middle size will hold all the line I'll need, and the Roddy is nice and light compared to other reels this size. It has a 6.3:1 gear ratio and retrieves 42 inches, of line, per crank in high gear. Then, if I manage to hook up, I can drop to low gear for more torque. This is going to run me $129.

If anyone knows of another high speed or 2 speed spinning reel, that would fit this bill, please post it. I have some time before I leave, so I am trying to do a bit of research before I pull the trigger. Thank you for your time.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
Mahigeer

Two speed Spinning reel? I have to look into it.

$129.00 is not bad. I have two speeds, but in conventional style. I would be curious to see how it is done.

Did you by any chance stop at Cedros Outdoor Adventures booth at the Fred Hall Show in Del Mar?
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #3
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Two speed Spinning reel? I have to look into it.

$129.00 is not bad. I have two speeds, but in conventional style. I would be curious to see how it is done.

Did you by any chance stop at Cedros Outdoor Adventures booth at the Fred Hall Show in Del Mar?

I have the conventional 2 speeds as well, but I want to be able to cast a mile. I'm afraid the whippy tip, on the rod I'm using, will just cause backlashes if I use any of the conventional reels I have. Plus this reel only weighs 18 oz.

I did not make it to the Del Mar show, but I stopped by at the Long Beach Show Sunday afternoon. I've watched you guys on Stoked on Fishing. The wife was in until she realized we would be fishing on the smaller boats. She wants a galley, and cushioned benches. Someday I'll make it out there with you guys. Always looks like a great trip.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
Raskal311

I was told from a few people who owns them that they wouldn't hold up to one season but I don't have first hand experience.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpricenator View Post
I have the conventional 2 speeds as well, but I want to be able to cast a mile. I'm afraid the whippy tip, on the rod I'm using, will just cause backlashes if I use any of the conventional reels I have. Plus this reel only weighs 18 oz.

I did not make it to the Del Mar show, but I stopped by at the Long Beach Show Sunday afternoon. I've watched you guys on Stoked on Fishing. The wife was in until she realized we would be fishing on the smaller boats. She wants a galley, and cushioned benches. Someday I'll make it out there with you guys. Always looks like a great trip.

The sport fishing or any boat longer than 34.5 feet is no longer allowed to fish in a very large area around the island.

When I was there, I took a cushion from the balcony and wrapped it in many layers of clean trash bags to use on the panga.
I am going back with Stoked on Fishing (depending on some pending issues) in July and taking a PFD/cushion with me.

If you are using braid with spinning reels there is a special one which reduces the wind knot and tip wrap ups.
Old 03-26-2018, 02:57 PM   #6
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
I was told from a few people who owns them that they wouldn't hold up to one season but I don't have first hand experience.
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed someone to tell me. I'm thinking the PENN BATTLE II 6000 will do the trick and save money. It is 4 oz heavier, still has 41 inches line retrieve, and 25 lbs of drag. The 5000 series is a bit lighter, just as much drag, and does 36 inches of line per crank.

Is that going to be fast enough to make these lures effective?
Old 03-26-2018, 04:34 PM   #7
Raskal311

Quote:
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed someone to tell me. I'm thinking the PENN BATTLE II 6000 will do the trick and save money. It is 4 oz heavier, still has 41 inches line retrieve, and 25 lbs of drag. The 5000 series is a bit lighter, just as much drag, and does 36 inches of line per crank.

Is that going to be fast enough to make these lures effective?
I have battle ii in 4000, 6000, and 8000. The 6000 is probably the best overall size, I have no doubt that it can handle 95% of the fish we see in SoCal. And just to throw it out there I also own a Stella and I probably fish the battle more often. The Stella is often more real than is necessary.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:23 AM   #8
dpricenator

Thank you. I'll keep looking for a bit, but the reviews on the Battle series seem to say it's a work horse. I appreciate you guys for the comments.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:09 AM   #9
Rav3n805

Im getting a battle III 6500 soon too, seems like a very robust reel for the $
Rav3n805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 AM   #10
sharjak

Stick with a single high speed reel. I don't see how more torque will help you on a spinning reel.
sharjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:56 AM   #11
blazian

Personally down in Cabo I use a Daiwai 6500H. You will just need high speed to retrieve poppers and stuff. It will cast a mile and pull on basically anything. How small does the travel rod break down to? Okuma didn't have the 10ft a couple years back.
blazian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:30 AM   #12
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
Personally down in Cabo I use a Daiwai 6500H. You will just need high speed to retrieve poppers and stuff. It will cast a mile and pull on basically anything. How small does the travel rod break down to? Okuma didn't have the 10ft a couple years back.
It breaks down into 4 pieces and comes in a semi rigid travel case., that is 34.5 inches long. It'll fit in my suitcase, so it's small enough for me. I decided on it, after I held it. This thing is super light weight, and thinner at the bottom than most rods, but says it's rated for 2-6 oz lures. and up to 65 lb braid. Considering it is so light, I figured I would be more comfortable casting it for a couple hours at a time. Not sure I would pay the $200 the Turner's is selling it for, but I picked it up on Amazon for $128 shipped. It should be here this week. I'll test it out with a couple of the reels I already have, and will report back. I have a 10 foot Ugly Stick, but I can't cast that thing to save my life. Maybe 40 or 50 yards. I am hoping I can get 100+ out of this one. With practice time of course. Here is the link. I got the Heavy Power version after reading that the Medium Heavy version was having trouble actually casting as much weight as it was rated for.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.tackledirect.com/okuma-n...surf-rods.html

Last edited by dpricenator; 03-27-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #13
Mahigeer

I have conventional style one and I like it.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazian View Post
So UPS just delivered my rod. Man it looks good. It's beautiful shade of Navy Blue, and it's lighter than most of my 7 foot rods. Pretty sure I'm starting to not feeling good and will have to leave work early today. After all, I do have to learn how to cast a 3 oz lure 100 yards. I'm more used to casting 1/2oz to 1 oz lures from a 7 ft rod, maybe 50 yards. This should be fun!
Old 03-31-2018, 04:59 AM   #15
_Obed
Bird nest master

Daiwa bg is the best reel for the price.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk
_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 AM   #16
dpricenator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Obed View Post
Daiwa bg is the best reel for the price.

Thank you for the suggestion! I grabbed the PENN BATTLE II 6000 from Turners this past weekend. However, the Diawa, pulls 47" on line per crank and is the same price at Turners. Considering I wanted the 2 speed, so I would have a high speed retrieve, and for the same price I get 6 more inches of line per crank. And I only lose 3 lbs of drag force from the 25 lbs of drag on the Penn to 22lbs on the Diawa. I may have to go back and swap out the PENN. Or maybe just keep the Penn and pick up the Diawa anyway.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:02 AM   #17
_Obed
Bird nest master

Quote:
Thank you for the suggestion! I grabbed the PENN BATTLE II 6000 from Turners this past weekend. However, the Diawa, pulls 47" on line per crank and is the same price at Turners. Considering I wanted the 2 speed, so I would have a high speed retrieve, and for the same price I get 6 more inches of line per crank. And I only lose 3 lbs of drag force from the 25 lbs of drag on the Penn to 22lbs on the Diawa. I may have to go back and swap out the PENN. Or maybe just keep the Penn and pick up the Diawa anyway.
Yeah man both are fine but Daiwas line lay makes penn shit. Even though penn is proven especially the battle ii. There are some good break down videos on you tube that explain in full specs the bg vs battle. Me personally. Daiwa all the way.

_Obed is offline   Reply With Quote