Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
Quilted Germ

Help with Fish Finder not

Need some help guys. Bought a used kayak a few months ago. Had a FF that worked the first time, but not the second time. Problem looks to be some corrosion at the connection of the FF. Any suggestions on methods to clean the very small holes that the pins go into. I have a Garmin 240. They looked good, but now that I have gone out without connecting the FF, the corrosion is apparent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. BTW, caught 2 YT's at the 371 this past weekend...can't wait to get my first from the kayak...that was all I could think about. Thanks again.
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Handymansd
Ancient Member

This is a pretty common problem with electronics and salt water.

There are those that are going to disagree with my methods, but they work very well for me.

Corrosion is problematic in that it will continue as long as there is oxidation and/ or moisture to act as an electrolyte. You have to first get rid of the oxidation (if it has not worked its way past the contact points.) I do this by sparingly using a small amount of Phosphoric acid, for no more than 30 seconds or so, then immediately and thoroughly rinsing with running water. Blow out with compressed air and let dry completely. Three of the four things necessary for corrosion to happen are inherent to all metals, (anode, cathode, and a conductive path) we cannot remove these, but, if we can keep the fourth (an electrolyte) from gaining access to the area we have defeated corrosion. Therefore the last step is to use dilectic grease and silicone paste judiciously to seal the connection from any further contact with any electrolytes. Remember that even moist air is plenty of electrolyte for the corosion process to get started. Dilectic grease is your electronics best friend OTW.

I have used this method many times with great success. Just be careful to use the acid sparingly so that you do not "eat" the terminals! It is an even better electrolyte than salt water!

Then work on not rolling the FF in the surf!
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:57 PM   #3
Billy V

To help keep saltwater off the FF I use a plastic sandwich bag and rubber band around mine. It keeps it dry even during surf launches.

Lots of dielectric grease on the connections help a lot.

Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
Quilted Germ

Where do I get phosphoric acid?
Quilted Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:44 AM   #5
bajadog
I eats what I kills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilted Germ View Post
Where do I get phosphoric acid?
Pool acid (muriatic) works too. Careful with the fumes.
Old 08-08-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Some rust removers at HD are Phosphoric acid they also sell mondo gallon sized muriatic acid there as well I think. They are the same thing.
Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #7
esdees
The Good Clone

Be more than careful with the fumes of muriatic acid. From my limited experience, there is no smell, but you will know when you get it in your sinuses. I backed off fast (unmarked gallon jug), but if you breath to deep... lights out.
esdees is offline   Reply With Quote