Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #1
KatFish

Should change my name to Scaredy Kat!

So we set out to fish La Jolla for the 3rd time first time we all felt sea sick and had a bad crash landing cuz the surf and swells were super bad that day. The second time I chickened out as we pulled up to off load. The third time I almost chickened out but I knew the hubby would have been super disappointed. So he helps me and the kid get in the water by 8 am and we all feel fine swells aren't bad. So we fish all day. I caught my first calico bass and my first two brown rockfish. I was stoked! Then I got something big I yell to the hubby and say I GOT A BIG ONE! Both me and kid were looking at him like what now and as I start to reel. We see a thresher shark jump high right next to him and bam SNAP my line broke cuz my drag was too tight : ( but it was awesome watching him jump! I
would have let him go but he didn't know that lol Stuck in utter amazement! Its was like watching some of your guys videos in real life! Just after that the hubby has something big! He caught a big bat ray. He had fun with him lol this was the kids first time fishing by herself. Daddy's little warrior : ) well it's 3 pm and time to head in, the hubby makes it. The kid makes it. I head in and again I take one for the team the yak hits my head I'm pissed! He's like babe your accident prone cuz we all know I jumped off the doc and cut my leg a couple of weeks ago and it got infected. After antibiotics I'm finally healing! Now I have an egg on my head! I guess he can't take me any where WTF well it was fun
none the less I hope you get a out of this.

P.S. he said he's going to make me wear a helmet from now on lmfao
Attached Images

KatFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Cbad Mike

Sorry you hurt yourself.... Again... but your posts are always great. lol.
See you at yakfest... hopefully in one piece.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
tim.gruber10
Junior

sounds like you had a bit more excitement once I left! wish I'd seen that thresher get airborne, that must have been awesome
tim.gruber10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
roadx

scaredy Kat? looks like your having fun to me.

i have caught a bunch of those brown rockfish but im always a scaredy cat to keep them, they look so close to a bronze spotted rock fish.
is there a sure fire way to tell them apart???
Old 07-30-2012, 06:22 AM   #5
KatFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim.gruber10 View Post
sounds like you had a bit more excitement once I left! wish I'd seen that thresher get airborne, that must have been awesome
Yeah it was so awesome! It was like and hour or so after you left. Crazy I don't plan on fishing LJ to often. I hate the coming in part I really suck at it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post

i have caught a bunch of those brown rockfish but im always a scaredy cat to keep them, they look so close to a bronze spotted rock fish.
Well they have a brown spot on/by gill area. I suggest you always have a book handy but before you go out again go online and look at the real life photos to you can see the differences better they are totally different in color. Good luck! We don't want anyone to get fined. IF IN DOUBT THROW IT OUT
Old 07-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
KatFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post

first is bronze

brown

chilipepper

hope this helps
Attached Images

Old 07-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
roadx

thanks! i'll look for the brown spot. i swear i have caught some kind of hybrid that is a cross between the two
i always carry a rock fish id with me
Old 07-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #8
taggermike

Don't sound like a scardy cat to me. There is no doubting your comitment and you are expanding your comfort zone about every time you go out. The first, or 100th, time you see a thresher jump is just amazing. The only way I know to make surf landings easier and less anxiety inducing is to practice them. No surprise is the best surprise and knowing how your kayak handles really helps. If you get side ways riding the white water, and you will, most people's natural reaction is to lean away from the wave. This makes you turn over in about zero seconds, and as you found out puts the kayk between you and the wave where it can be pushed in to your head. Try to lean hard in to the wave, stick you paddle way out in to the white water and lean your upper body on it (called bracing) and you can ride sideways all the way in to the beach. Another, rather unceramonious, way to land is to come in backwards(faceing out to sea).Keep your bow in to the surf, give a few strokes out to lift your bow over the wave then let it pull you toward the beach. Kinda strange but it does work and makes it easier to see the waves and to keep you kayak perpendicular to the waves and beach. Sorry, this got long, leave your gear at home a practice surf launches and landings. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 PM   #9
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I should of wore a helmet when i started going....

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Nice story and report. Everyone has a learning curve, and there are trials and tribulations along that route. Sounds like you're into what you are doing, and that's a huge plus. Thresher jumps are bitchen'.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 AM   #11
-scallywag-
Banned

epic!!!
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote