Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:39 AM   #1
Jimmyz123

Some fun on the Big Bay 10/31

Barrowed a Kayak from Ed Keil to do some pre-fishing on the Big Bay. We paddled out at about 6:30 or so and headed to some spots that he wanted to check out. Both of us on our first cast got bit, I farmed mine, but Ed landed a nice spottie. I think Ed finished the day with over 20 fish I on the other hand finished the day with 2 Sandies, 1 Spotty, 3 Lizzards, and 1 Scuplin. Most importantly to me it was the first time paddling out since my arm surgery. I had a blast and I cannot wait to get back to it.

The water and weather were outstanding up until 10:30 and the wind started picking up and the bite stopped. We called it a day and had plenty of time to hand out candy to all the trick or treaters.
Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
walrus

Great report!
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #3
Jzo

Thanks for the report, also welcome back paddling, congrats.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
Jimmyz123

Thanks guys I'm glad to be back paddling. Ed took some photos of the sunrise and I think one of my fighting a fish, but we've all seen what Spotties and Sandies look like and no one wants to see what Lizzard fish look like.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #5
old_rookie

Glad you made it out. Believe it or not I as thinking about you not being able to go out on water now that I question how soon my foot will be back to normal. I want to see a lizard fish.
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #6
dfroggy54
Rolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
Glad you made it out. Believe it or not I as thinking about you not being able to go out on water now that I question how soon my foot will be back to normal. I want to see a lizard fish.

There are some big ones right now. One I caught over 15 inches. Thought it was a spottie!

Good stuff getting back on the water, welcome back! Funny, your fish report came up exactly like mine on Friday. Was fishing it old school with the twin tail scampi.

GL
Old 11-01-2010, 11:58 AM   #7
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfroggy54 View Post
There are some big ones right now. One I caught over 15 inches. Thought it was a spottie!

Good stuff getting back on the water, welcome back! Funny, your fish report came up exactly like mine on Friday. Was fishing it old school with the twin tail scampi.

GL
I found that the bait I was getting the Lizzards on was a glow bait in an anchovie shape with a curly tail, so I switched back to what was getting the other hits. 2 of the lizzards I caught were in the 12 to 15" range. I hate touching those things.
Old 11-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_rookie View Post
How long ago did you injure your foot or have surgery on it?

Even though I am 7 months post op I still have some weakness in the forearm area at times but I don't let it limit what I do anymore. The only way for it to get stronger doing the things I want to do is to work it. I'm careful while doing so, but I don't let it limit me.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
T Bone

Good job Jimmy! way to loosen that arm up

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
dmrides

Jimmy, glad you got to get out on the water again. You seem pretty stoked.

Last time I was out, I got a big lizard fish and did not want to touch him either, so I dropped him back down and pulled up a nice size but.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

T-Bone - I have been going nuts not being able to get out like that. My arm feels great and I'm ready to get out again.

Dmrides - The last Lizard I caught could have been used for bait, I should have done that with it.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #12
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
How long ago did you injure your foot or have surgery on it?

Even though I am 7 months post op I still have some weakness in the forearm area at times but I don't let it limit what I do anymore. The only way for it to get stronger doing the things I want to do is to work it. I'm careful while doing so, but I don't let it limit me.
It was about four weeks ago that I fractured my big toe leaving a fragment poking the side of my foot. Surgery was about two weeks ago today. Still can't wear a shoe without trouble. Yeah not using your arm won't strengthen it.
Skipping going out this Wednesday because of my lack of confidence with the foot and the big surf predicted. Fishing the bay from the rocks with my dad instead.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 AM   #13
Jimmyz123

Have fun with the fishing from the rocks. One thing I have learned is even though it's frustrating to be able to get out, it's better to take your time and heal properly so that you don't re-injure your self to cause more delays. Here I am 2 days following my paddle out and nothing hurts except for muscles I haven't used in my shoulder area in a while.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
bentrod1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrides View Post
Jimmy, glad you got to get out on the water again. You seem pretty stoked.

Last time I was out, I got a big lizard fish and did not want to touch him either, so I dropped him back down and pulled up a nice size but.
Makes me hesitant to eat something that would eat those nasty things!
bentrod1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrod1 View Post
Halibut tastes good. Pork chops taste good.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #16
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentrod1 View Post
I think if we analyzed the diets of the foods we eat we may thing twice about what we are eating, so that being said, I'll just focus on how yummy the things I eat are.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:28 PM   #17
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Have fun with the fishing from the rocks. One thing I have learned is even though it's frustrating to be able to get out, it's better to take your time and heal properly so that you don't re-injure your self to cause more delays. Here I am 2 days following my paddle out and nothing hurts except for muscles I haven't used in my shoulder area in a while.
You are right. It is hard to stay on the sofa when the weather is like this.