Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
DanaPT

10/29 Dana Point Fish report. . .

10292010. In the water at 5:50 am ish from baby beach.

Bait tank wire malfunction. Unwilling and able to repair so no live-bait purchase as I planned to do (have had tough luck catching the right sized bait). I intended to use live bait for calico's, sand bass and Halibut.

Wind was stiff off-shore then glassed off. At the Headlands, I started slow drifts to and from kelp while casting. Fished the inside waters between kelp and beach casting lead head swim bait around the edges of kelp. I'd take a break and then fished those with lucky joes for bait fish when I saw them (I don't have a fish finder).
Caught nothing.

When looking for Calico in/around the kelp what is a good technique when no live-bait is available?
Casting with lead head and quick retrieve? Problem with letting it fall are unseen stringers I get caught up in.
Is jigging swim bait the better solution? Seems to be less hang-ups.

I noticed significant surface activity around 7:30ish. Perhaps an MC slug or two would have done the trick. The kelp was thick but I would frequently hear a splash and catch glimpse of a tail or body wriggling back into the water. Many appeared to be Calico breaking the surface deep in the kelp.

Made it up to the salt creek point with my drift cast approach. For the Halibut, I set up a 4 oz weighted reverse dropper with a swim bait for the trek back with a slow paddle. Also tossed a metal spoon while on the drift. Nothing.

This is my unfortunate story. If anyone has input, suggestions, ideas, or anything that will help me improve my performance I'd really appreciate it. I don't even like to eat fish, so need not worry, I'll likely toss back what I catch.

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

I fished DP on Thursday, and took sort of an oposite track from yours. Beelined to Salt creek and was there at about 5:30. Bait was plentiful and perfect, but did not seem to be relating to the surface or kelp. I was in 60 to 80 ft of water and my sonar would suddenly cloud up and I'd make a quick drop with my sabiki and imediately have a load of 5 or 6 greenies of 4 to 6 inches. Picked up 4 chunky sandies out there, 3 on the bait and 1 on the gulp. Had a wicked halibut bite that totally shredded my bait but couldn't get the hook into him. Made my way back to the point and picked up a couple nice chunky sculpin. One on the bait and one on the gulp. Like yesterday, it was gorgious out there. Glassed off at 8:30. Couldn't bring myself to quit. Stayed out till 3:00.

Beautiful day. All fish released except for a nice stash of lobster bait.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I was in 60 to 80 ft of water and my sonar would suddenly cloud up and I'd make a quick drop with my sabiki and imediately have a load of 5 or 6 greenies of 4 to 6 inches
ditto for Friday

Quote:
Fished the inside waters between kelp and beach casting lead head swim bait around the edges of kelp.
orange kayak? we were on the outside edge from you.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
DanaPT

Yes I was in the malibu x factor more yellow than orange. I did see two kayaks on the other side (red and blue i think). You guys must have been out really early.

I need to work on my sibiki technique.
Old 10-30-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
DanaPT

I'm wrong, you are right. the kayak is orange.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

technically "mango"
Old 10-30-2010, 07:48 PM   #7
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post

When looking for Calico in/around the kelp what is a good technique when no live-bait is available?
Casting with lead head and quick retrieve? Problem with letting it fall are unseen stringers I get caught up in.
Is jigging swim bait the better solution? Seems to be less hang-ups.

I think it is really about finding what works that day.
Couple of suggestions for Dana. Bait can most always be made- if not outside the kelp, inside the kelp is usually always good for a few spanish mac's. I use a high quality sabiki from hayabusa with smaller hooks and fish skin flies when bait is really tough to make.
When you are going artificial only, it helps to pay attention to which way the current is moving. The current will usually push the kelp stringers in a certain direction, creating little channels that you can cast the swim bait in between. Once you get past the top layer of salad, and you can figure out the way the stringers are laying, its usually no problem to work a swim bait in the kelp. The slower the retreive the better right now...
If you want to fish right in the kelp, modified vertical jigging is usually the best option. Let the swim bait fall slowly, pausing at different depths. Pay attention, because you will often get picked up on the drop. When you hit the bottom give it a few bounces, and then slowly start working it back up. When you do feel a hit or you get picked up, pay attention to what you were doing, because that is probably how you will get bit again. Experiment with different colors and sizes of swim baits too.
At Dana, I prefer to work the outside edges of the kelp, so I can cast and move, cast and move, without really ever having to deal with the kelp. Its usually productive enough to get the skunk off while i figure out my game plan.
If you are going to spend some time in the kelp, a spectra rig is really helpful. Kelp isnt too strong @ Dana, so i use 30 lb spectra most of the time without any problems.
If you are really getting desperate, dead squid is always a good back-up plan, or the less messy option- Gulp.

Good luck out there.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #8
DanaPT

Thanks for taking the time to share more. Went out to DP headlands again on 11/05. Couldn't sleep so was up at 4:30 am. Bait fish galore. As I was making my way out, I'd shine the light in front of the rig and saw mega bait fish jumping out of the water from either side of the bow.

Anyhow, no problems this week filling the bait tank. Unfortunately nothing big to speak of. Caught many macks and a small calico. I think I'm going to take a fly rod out next week to keep me active while fishing for the bigger guys w/ live bait. As I'd catch a mack, kept thinking those guys can pull. Any suggestions on good mack fly patterns would be welcomed, otherwise, I'll just have to continue the experiment. Another great morning on the water. Check out the 4 part early morning video sequence of the sunrise. Awesome.

Last edited by DanaPT; 11-08-2010 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Forgot the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-h_wn216fo
Old 11-08-2010, 09:13 AM   #9
Iceman
Administrator

Anything with "flashy" thread would be a good fly for the mackerel.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/s...h/DSCN0717.jpg
Old 11-09-2010, 03:38 PM   #10
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share more. Went out to DP headlands again on 11/05. Couldn't sleep so was up at 4:30 am. Bait fish galore. As I was making my way out, I'd shine the light in front of the rig and saw mega bait fish jumping out of the water from either side of the bow.

Anyhow, no problems this week filling the bait tank. Unfortunately nothing big to speak of. Caught many macks and a small calico. I think I'm going to take a fly rod out next week to keep me active while fishing for the bigger guys w/ live bait. As I'd catch a mack, kept thinking those guys can pull. Any suggestions on good mack fly patterns would be welcomed, otherwise, I'll just have to continue the experiment. Another great morning on the water. Check out the 4 part early morning video sequence of the sunrise. Awesome.
For fly fishing, the mackeral's like the blue and white Deceivers and chartreuse Clousers. I recommend you use a fast sinking line, do not go below an 8 wt rod, and use a reel with a good disc drag; other bigger fish follow mackerel and I have had good sized bonito and smaller white seabass take the fly while casting to mackerels. There is a website for Southern California saltwater flyfishers and several members fish out of Dana Pt: http://www.fliflicker.com/

That site has some good information.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote