Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM   #21
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by j mo View Post
..... big whiteys that love to fish their too.
You got that right!!!

My friend Gernsey told me that they saw thirty dead seals in the kelp in a single day a few weeks before, and Steve said they saw several headless seal corpses there on Wednesday while we were there. They aggressively hunt that island no doubt.

I'd bet that island has the highest concentration of adult whites in the area, kind of like our "Lupe" and it's also the hangout for lots of big adult female 500+ pound Makos. Call me paranoid but I did not bleed any of my fish, and basically pulled them out of the water, and got them stored inside the yak as quickly as possible.

When I got that big Black alongside the kayak I was well off the island in probably thousands of feet of water. Prime monster Mako territory, in fact I have fished them right there and the past. One of my concerns was that a really large Mako might come up and nail him before I could get him righted and on his way down. I've seen them feed on 200 pound plus swordfish in that area right on the surface, vicious explosive attacks you could see for hundreds of yards, it would not of surprised me at all if one had shown up.

All part of the game. I just kept my feet out of the water, and my eyes open. One of these days they are going to get one of us, I suppose I got just about as much chance of running into one as anyone else, maybe a little more of a chance when fishing out there.

Personally I get more nervous fishing seabass in the dark at La Jolla, my take is the midsized adults follow the whiteseabass around as they are a good high energy meal. At SBI though your dealing with the full sized adult breeders stalking big prey both sealines and elephant seals. I would never fish there from a kayak at night, I take my chances, but that would just completely freak me out.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote