Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
driftwood

La Jolla caves are cool OOPS big wave!!!

OOPS Big wave whoooo!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfrFpFwESQ
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
T Bone

I have wanted to go in there,now I know to just stay out...

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

That was a very small wave compared to what can hit that spot. When we were out on Wednesday the six foot plus swells were aimed directly at the caves. When they hit the cliffs, the spray went at least 20 feet in the air. Anyone caught in the caves under those conditions would have been blown out the other end, or smashed into the walls.

That would be interesting to watch but I would not want to be the guy who got bounced around. Ouch!

Every winter lifeguards have to pluck a few folks, usually divers but sometimes surfers, out of those caves during big surf conditions. It can be very dangerous work.

Recently I had a conversation with one of my former colleagues who had just retired from the Lifeguard Service with an 80% pension for life. When I asked him if he felt comfortable about this extraordinary retirement benefit, his response was that he often had to put his life on the line and that the benefit was appropriate. He was probably talking about having to save dumb ass guys like the one in Gabe's video.

I am all for rewarding hard working folks who put their lives on the line for the rest of us, but getting 80% if your highest salary for the rest of your life just because you managed to make it to retirement without burning out or getting fired seems a bit generous to me. There must be a better way.

Oops! I went political again. Sorry.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #4
Riskey Water

It could have been worse ,after watching that clip I saw " An Unfortunate Kayaking accident " by DarkWolfSpecter772 of a breaching Killer Whale landing on a kayaker in open water ,sorry I don't know how to cut and paste
Riskey Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
driftwood

Good point Bob. The ones who put their lives on the line, such as lifeguards, policeman and fire fighters, these are the real heroes. Most young people look to sport stars as role models. Everyone knows who Tiger Woods is but does anyone remember the name of the police officer who lost his life this week? Chris Wilson - and far as I am concerned, he is a true real hero and this is what kids should strive to imiatate, his integrity to his family and community. My condolences to his family.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
roadx

Bob if your friend worked for city of sd he put in over 26 years of service saving other peoples lives

what is enough compensation then ??
Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riskey Water View Post
It could have been worse ,after watching that clip I saw " An Unfortunate Kayaking accident " by DarkWolfSpecter772 of a breaching Killer Whale landing on a kayaker in open water ,sorry I don't know how to cut and paste

whale breach
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtrbFKczurw

Old 11-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #8
Vikingj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Recently I had a conversation with one of my former colleagues who had just retired from the Lifeguard Service with an 80% pension for life. When I asked him if he felt comfortable about this extraordinary retirement benefit, his response was that he often had to put his life on the line and that the benefit was appropriate. He was probably talking about having to save dumb ass guys like the one in Gabe's video.

I am all for rewarding hard working folks who put their lives on the line for the rest of us, but getting 80% if your highest salary for the rest of your life just because you managed to make it to retirement without burning out or getting fired seems a bit generous to me. There must be a better way.

Oops! I went political again. Sorry.

Bob
Although I'm sure there are some retirement programs where 80% might be excessive, there are many that are not. You can't really make a blanket statement for all public employees. The details vary considerably. How much did the employee donate each year to his retirement (10, 15, 20%)? Will he be able to collect the full social security he has earned (CalSTRS/CalPERS does not)? How many years was he employed (35, 40, 45 years)? Will he receive benefits during retirement (no in most)? What kind of risk, training, education are involved? How did his work load/salary compare to the private sector? Etcetra, etcetra. There might even be some that earned and deserve more than 80% ?
Wayne
Vikingj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
yani

Gabe,
that's a classic. Are you sure you didn't photoshop
yourself out of the video?

Wayne, relax, you must of heard: your buddy Jerry's back in.