Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
yakman619
HMFIC

La Jolla-Is anything West of the Buoy line fair game?

I'm heading out to La Jolla tomorrow, and plan on targeting rockfish. I've had my kayak for a couple months, and have not caught anything I can bring home yet (been fishing southbay quite a bit, not so sure I want to keep anything out of there)...I hope to change this tomorrow.

Looking at the layout of La Jolla, the edge of the canyon just out side the bouy line looks promising... I just want to confirm; is anywhere outside the buoy line fair game to fish? This will be my second time out there, and don't want DFG kicking my dog and pissing in my cheerios for poaching.

Thanks in advance for setting me straight!

Last edited by yakman619; 05-04-2012 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Mistake!
yakman619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
Hellboy1500

If you go to the california fish and game web page it has the areas in red and blue as to where and what you can fish. it is set up by gps cords. I don't have gps and i just go off the point of lj and then there is a street nautilas or something like that that is the start of the other red and blue areas. if you just familurize youself with the surrounding area via google map you can kind of determine where you are at on the water. Also if you got a decent phone and put it in a ziplock or have a water proof case you can check it to make sure you are where you need to be or not be.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/
Hellboy1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
Baja_Traveler

There is one smaller buoy out there (who knows where the rest of them went), and when I paddled by it my gps still showed me within the MPA area. I'm pretty sure you have to paddle about 100 yards west of that buoy to be clear of the MPA.
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #4
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

2 weeks ago I received a written warning from dfg for fishing within an mlpa and I was nowhere near the bouy. According to the official that write me up it's 100yards out. Why they haven't moved the bouys is a mystery to me.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

If you launch early enough you can fish wherever you want.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
GregAndrew

They do not plan to move any of the current buoys, nor will they install new ones that show the new boundaries. We are all expected to know exactly where they all are and carry GPS to make sure that we are not in them. This situation brought to you by your friendly econazi extremists.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
yakman619
HMFIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
If you launch early enough you can fish wherever you want.
I like the way you think
Old 05-05-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
jorluivil

The dfg site works like a charm.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
mbaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
2 weeks ago I received a written warning from dfg for fishing within an mlpa and I was nowhere near the bouy. According to the official that write me up it's 100yards out. Why they haven't moved the bouys is a mystery to me.
Did you get the ticket on the water or back at the launch?
mbaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #10
Big T
Member, You Member!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Why they haven't moved the bouys is a mystery to me.
Because the entire process, motives, budget and ethics were bankrupt from the start... they have no money left to pay to enforce the stupid things let alone MOVE THEM. So I'd imagine the bass ackwards way OF financing the madness is to ticket people and impose fines due to such a deficiency. I dunno. Just sayin'.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
RK

What's an MPA? No hablo ingles
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post

It stands for Marine Phishing Area, its a place without limits
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:48 AM   #13
MrPukaShell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblehide View Post
It stands for Marine Phishing Area, its a place without limits
I just love this place....
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #14
bubblehide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
I just love this place....

Yep, a lot o love and camaraderie.
bubblehide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK View Post

Ryan, In spanish it means... Mucho Pescados Aqui.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
SquidJig

Did you have any luck, yakman 619?

There are plenty of others with more experience and better info but for now I hope this helps.

For future reference don't worry about the boundary. From my experience and observation, you have to pa(e)ddle at the very least 2 miles west from the LJ launch to find concentrations of rockfish. If you don't have a GPS and you can resist the temptation, paddle way past the guys looking for WSB and YT. If you have a fishfinder, look for marks near the bottom. No FF? I hope you like sand dabs. I they're tasty but tiny. In any case, bring a pair of strong arms and some heavy sinkers. You'll probably be fishing down 150' or a lot more. There are lots of spots holding fish but they're scattered over a lot of territory. I've never heard of anyone fishing the canyon closer in but maybe it's a secret I'm not in on. Happy hunting.

If you want to see the where the MPAs are go to this site. http://southcoast.marinemap.org/marinemap/ It's got loads of ocean info but to see the MPAs, you need to click on "MPAs, Arrays, and Proposals" at the top right. It's a button but it doesn't look like one until you click on it. When you do, you then have to click the checkbox next to "Adopted MPLA South Coast MPAs". This will draw the MPAs. The reserve starts at Alligator Head, just west of the Cove and the northern most point on Pt. La Jolla and goes due north for about two miles. On the water, I use the pink, domed spire of La Valencia Hotel as my landmark.

I've never been far enough south that I've had to worry about the South La Jolla MPA so all I can say about that is that it starts at the end of Palomar Ave and goes due west.

Here's a screenshot of the link. Tight lines.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marine Map with MPAs.jpg (66.0 KB, 158 views)
SquidJig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
yakman619
HMFIC

A small step towards making Neptune my bitch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquidJig View Post
Did you have any luck, yakman 619?

There are plenty of others with more experience and better info but for now I hope this helps.

For future reference don't worry about the boundary. From my experience and observation, you have to pa(e)ddle at the very least 2 miles west from the LJ launch to find concentrations of rockfish. If you don't have a GPS and you can resist the temptation, paddle way past the guys looking for WSB and YT. If you have a fishfinder, look for marks near the bottom. No FF? I hope you like sand dabs. I they're tasty but tiny. In any case, bring a pair of strong arms and some heavy sinkers. You'll probably be fishing down 150' or a lot more. There are lots of spots holding fish but they're scattered over a lot of territory. I've never heard of anyone fishing the canyon closer in but maybe it's a secret I'm not in on. Happy hunting.

If you want to see the where the MPAs are go to this site. http://southcoast.marinemap.org/marinemap/ It's got loads of ocean info but to see the MPAs, you need to click on "MPAs, Arrays, and Proposals" at the top right. It's a button but it doesn't look like one until you click on it. When you do, you then have to click the checkbox next to "Adopted MPLA South Coast MPAs". This will draw the MPAs. The reserve starts at Alligator Head, just west of the Cove and the northern most point on Pt. La Jolla and goes due north for about two miles. On the water, I use the pink, domed spire of La Valencia Hotel as my landmark.

I've never been far enough south that I've had to worry about the South La Jolla MPA so all I can say about that is that it starts at the end of Palomar Ave and goes due west.

Here's a screenshot of the link. Tight lines.
Yeah, I caught one Rockfish a couple miles West of the point in about 90 feet of water. I was using cut squid, and got numerous bites, but wasn't having any luck with hooking the bastards. It was my first keep off the Kayak; so it's a babystep towards bending Neptune over the edge of my Stealth 14, making him apologize for getting me wet in the surf, then dragging a 40 lbs YT carcass to shore on my bloodied deck as he struggles back into 100 fathoms....Hopefully I'll bust that cherry sometime soon.

I caught what I believed were a few undersized Halibut, but they may have been Sandabs. I really need to learn to properly identify the fish. I hooked them about a mile North West of the point on what seemed to be sandy bottom.

My FF is a Eagle Cuda 160, so I was able to find structure...unfortunatly, it was difficult for me to find "good structure". I don't know whether it's due to my inexperience reading deeper water, or if my basic FF is proving to be inadequate for finding structure in deeper water.

I agree, I really need to hook up with the more experienced guys. Just being on this forum is a huge help; there is a ton of knowledge on here!

Thanks for the info, maybe I'll see you on the water one of these days.