Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 AM   #1
madscientist

Product review: lightweight Mysterioso

As many of you know, I've been a huge fan of the Mysterioso line of clothing since I started yak fishing in NY. Their heavier weight gear is an ideal underlayer on colder mornings and is the most comfortable thermal wear I have found. It's warm, soft, wicks moisture from the skin, retains warmth when wet, and drys very quickly. The only drawback is that it can get pretty hot when the sun comes out. So I was excited when Brent at OEX hooked me up with the new lighter weight long sleeve shirt. Gave it go on Sat.

The lightweight shirt feels a bit like a rashguard on the outside, but the inner lining is a soft almost terrycloth-like fabric. Upon putting it on I immediately noticed that it does not have the same instant warmth as the heavier weight shirts. In the cool pre-dawn with a slight breeze it was just enough to keep me warm standing on the beach. I got splashed a little getting out through the surf and noticed that it is much like the heavier one in that it retains it's insulation when wet, unlike a rashguard which gets cold quickly from the evaporative cooling.

Paddling out at a decent pace I was very comfortable. This shirt definitely breathes nicely. I often have to take off the heavier shirts for the paddle out, particularly if it's calm, or I work up a sweat. Not in this one. I think it will be perfect for most spring/summer/fall mornings where you just need one layer to stay warm. That day was overcast and as a breeze picked up, I was just on the edge of comfortable with the mysterioso shirt alone. With an aquatec shirt over the top I was perfect. Once the sun came out I was fine with just the mysterioso and did not get hot (the temp was a cool 65 that day).

All in all I think this new line of mysterioso fills a gap in my paddle clothing closet. It has all the comfort I've come to expect from their products, and is a cooler version of their traditional line. If you've never tried any of their stuff, I suggest you check it out. You'll probably never wear anything else on the kayak again, at least when it's cool.

And it's fishy...

Old 06-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #2
JimPat

Brad,

I bought the heavier stuff based on some advice you provided a couple years ago and love it. Will give this a try as well. Thanks for the review.

TL,
Jim
JimPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #3
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
And it's fishy...
If I catch one of those every time I wear it, I'll take 10 of 'em!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #4
steveooo

Great review.
I've always wanted to try that stuff. Ive been using under armour heat and cold compression gear that I picked up for cheap at Ross a couple years back, but It is getting toward the end of its life. Do all the OEX shops carry the Myserioso line?
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:41 AM   #5
OEX
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
Great review.
I've always wanted to try that stuff. Ive been using under armour heat and cold compression gear that I picked up for cheap at Ross a couple years back, but It is getting toward the end of its life. Do all the OEX shops carry the Myserioso line?
Andy will be bringing the mysterioso line into the sunset beach store but right now it is only available at Point Loma.
OEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #6
steamroll

We're bringing it into OEX Oceanside also.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 AM   #7
glenniesan

Thanks for the great review!
glenniesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #8
lamb

Great review Brad!

I never tried Mysterioso, but I've been wanting to.

Do they make them for fat & bold guys? lol
Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #9
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Great review Brad!

I never tried Mysterioso, but I've been wanting to.

Do they make them for fat & bold guys? lol
They fit me, so I guess that would make them fully fat guy rated.