Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2007, 11:24 AM   #1
madscientist

5/18 prefish

Got down there at 5:15, little later than I wanted. Great conditions, very small surf , gentle offshore that died early, and the lowest low tide I've seen in some time. Kind of wondered where the ocean went when I first started driving out on the beach. Saw a stingray in the surf as I was wading out, yikes. Shot north and quickly loaded and started heading to the point. Spooked something big about halfway out from the pier. Could have been a ray, definitely not a shark and not really YT looking either. Checked in on the usual spots. Same story as of late; tons of puddling bait, no real sign of the right kind. Babysat a bait ball for a while but quickly figured I'd seen enough to know what the gameplan for tomorrow will be and I really didn't want to catch a fish today. Might have to break out a secret weapon I've been saving, left over from this winter.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:15 PM   #2
yellowtail55
The Highlander

What was the water visibility like? It is still red tide?
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:07 PM   #3
Will B.

LJ 5/18 PM

I stopped down at La Jolla this afternoon to try out the Mini X in the surf. Very fun. Water had good visibility, no red tide, a guy coming in said it had cleared up at the Point. There were a lot of leopard sharks around. Surf was a little bigger than small.

I think I will stay inside and catch waves tomorrow morning and let Brad catch all the fish
Will B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #4
blackcloud9
Kayaker

On my way across from pier to the point last Saturday, I too noticed an area of occasional "bigger fish" sized swirls in front of the kayak, as if they were spooked when I cruised by. Was new to me .... strange. And, so far I have noticed a number of other people mention this same thing. Hmm. Another little LJ mystery to chew on.

btw, I may swing by the tourney to say hi but not fishing due to last minute-booking on mothership trip to SCI on Sat night, Qualifier 105. Maybe I'll actually catch something for the WCW. Just have to remember to weigh, measure, photos etc....
blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #5
yellowtail55
The Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will B. View Post
I stopped down at La Jolla this afternoon to try out the Mini X in the surf. Very fun. Water had good visibility
Glad to hear the red tide has cleared up
Now for the ...
yellowtail55 is offline   Reply With Quote