Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
easyday

DP to SAN-O

The morning started out a little rough me being late and all...(sorry guys). We got situated and drug the yaks down to the ramp. There was a few boats launching put had plenty of room on the ramps. We launched at 1st light, then made our way to the bait barge. They had perfectly sized very lively sardines so we all lined up and began getting our scoops and there was one boat that was loading up as well and when they heard our plans they called us crazy and wished us luck.
Name:  20130902_063231.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  26.5 KB

We headed out of the harbor and then realized just how thick the fog was. We could hear boats moving about but couldn't see any of them, but the question weather or not to continue was not even brought up. We made sure radios were on and we had the right channels and whistles were out in case we lost sight of one another.
Name:  20130902_064819.jpg
Views: 1095
Size:  25.3 KB

We began fishing immediately after leaving the mouth of the harbor. One of us pulled up a small sandy then I landed a nicely colored small calico off of a ZMAN paddler.
Name:  20130902_075433.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  72.8 KB

We fished for a while and just drifting with the current the fog was still really think and it lifted momentarily and as soon as it lifted, I heard Justin (10mmyaker) yell woooooowww and I look over and he is off balance and his pole is completely bendo.and hes cranking away. We were both hoping it was big one of the flat kind but it was taking long solid runs. ended up being a decent size leopard shark. I helped him land it we cut the gills and gutted it right there on the spot because it was so early and we had no idea how long we would be on the water.
Name:  20130902_101437.jpg
Views: 1097
Size:  38.4 KB

We had to contact the others by radio and whistle blows. Once we met up with the other 2 the brews were brought out and we paddled down a little bit and found a nice little kelp paddy and we found a couple small calicos and sandys. this guy was brought up it came in at around 17 inches.
Name:  20130902_111241.jpg
Views: 1091
Size:  43.0 KB

We kept drifting wit the current and fished the whole way the fog was still thick and the bite was slow so we made the decision to b line it for the san Clemente pier. We paddled towards it and it popped up nowhere out of the fog and we could just see shadows of people fishing from the pier. I heard a kid yell to his mom how did a kayak get out there. We fished the kelp and on my fist drop I was nailed by a calico and he had me all tangled up in the kelp bit I managed to bring it in. right at 14 inches (CPR). We all caught our fair share of bass and then drifted out to the san mateo rocks and the fog had finally cleared
Name:  20130902_145819.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  57.8 KB
Name:  20130902_144028.jpg
Views: 1096
Size:  41.3 KB

Fished the rocks for a while and a nice sculpin and more bass were caught. We continued drifting wit the current and wind to our backs and a small sheephead was caught. Very brilliant colors( sorry no photo) it was getting late and the decision was made to head around the point and chose our spot for landing we all hung back and watched the surf and we packed up and got ready to make our landing. Landing was a little rough and only one of the 4 of us rolled, it wasn't bad just got caught by the wash, ended up with a broken paddle but spirits were high and he had made his 1st beach landing ever. we got organized and the beachgoers oooeeed and awwweed at the leopard shark and took pics with it.
Name:  20130902_180220.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  54.9 KB
Name:  20130902_181212.jpg
Views: 1078
Size:  65.9 KB

All in all it was an awesome day with awesome weather. We all believe the fog played into our advantage with keeping the majority of people off the water and opening it up for us. We all had an awesome time and it was a trip to remember. Kayaking is all about the adventure and the seemingly unknown. I plan on doing more trips like this in the future. and for you that participated thank you im glad there is a group of people like I find on this site some that share in my sense of adventure. It was a pleasure spending time on the water with you, I look forward to doing more trips, and to the rest TIGHT LINES
Old 09-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Nice trip Guys, congratulations, more will make it next time. Good post and pictures. Tight lines and bloody gaffs!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
SorryCharlie

Awesome trip, I have been wondering how long it would take to make a one way trip to San O. Guess you answered that question.

Great post and if you decide to try it again and are looking to expand the group I would love to join.
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
blitzburgh

Looks fun!
Old 09-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
PE.rider

Thanks for the report. There is always a strong southward current on your route, making for a good drift while soaking the bait. Looks like more people will be joining your next excursion.
PE.rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #6
Salty Dog
loves bacon

It was a party! Only 4 kayaks made it easier to keep track of everyone in the fog. Visibility was sometimes only 50 to 60 feet. Amazing there were still some stinky speedboats doing their dumb Labor Day act in that soup. Fun trip. I'll do again.
Attached Images

Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Sdspeed

How much distance did you end up covering?
Awesome Trip, thanks for the report!
Sdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #8
wade

Very cool Josh & Crew in so many different ways.. Nice Old School reportage..

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade View Post
.. Nice Old School reportage..
gzactly.

Nice trip guys.

I never personally harvested leo. I'm sure it can be good. You guys have a good plan on how to prepare it?

When I hear about rituals of soaking in goat milk to kill this or that smell or to tenderize, I get discouraged.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I'd love to do this, if I could ever figure out how to be awake that early.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
easyday

Yea i really want to mission bay to la jolla but half the trip would bebin an mpa damn environmentalists. ...
Old 09-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
jaws197

Cool trip guys!

Looks like it was a heck of an adventure! Ddwineguy and I were toying with the idea of a trip from San Diego bay to Mission bay at some point.....

This tale makes that trip seem like a fun one as well.....

Again, glad you guys had fun and a safe trip!

jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
steveooo

Cool trip, looks like fun.

Thanks for the report
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
easyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws197 View Post
Cool trip guys!

Looks like it was a heck of an adventure! Ddwineguy and I were toying with the idea of a trip from San Diego bay to Mission bay at some point.....

This tale makes that trip seem like a fun one as well.....

Again, glad you guys had fun and a safe trip!

I would definitely be down for a trip from sd sd bay to mission, if ya guys ever do it and want some more people to tag along id be more than happy to tag along.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #15
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Im so down for a trip like this

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #16
svendawg

Cherry broken

This was a great trip with a good group of guys. I learned a lot on this trip and even got my cherry broken on my first beach landing. I flipped on the landing and only broke my paddle. No lost gear thanks to reading all the posts about stowing all of your gear before landing.
Can't wait until the next trip
svendawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #17
Amish Ed

Good job guys. Glad you all had such a good time.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #18
Salty Dog
loves bacon

No stinking rainbows at the end of this trip! We got a fogbow at the begining!
Attached Images

Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote