Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
MrM

Yakin in the yak...

Let me start by saying I had a great morning. Woke up at 5, a fellow BWE'er bought an item off me, and I was on the water @NPH by 6:45. Beautiful conditions, almost no wind, calm seas. Slightly overcast. Spent 30 minutes in the harbor trying to find bait, no luck. Head out the mouth, and I looked up and spotted a dolphin. Spun my head around, and spotted another. They were circling me from about 20 yards away. So I think, "either those aren't dolphins, or there's a school of fish down here!" Throw out my sabiki, and BAM! 3 good sized mac's on the same drop. Then on my 2nd drop, I got a 10 inch mac- Way too large for what I need!

About 2.5-3 hours in, I started to get a little uneasy. After playing the "I don't get sea sick" card for a half hour too long, I found out I can. And that paddle back sucked!

So here's my question... Do any of you guys use those bracelets? Dramamine? I might have to start using something just in case, it absolutely ruined my day on the water. What are your suggestions?
Old 07-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
jorluivil

I've only gotten seasick once while kayaking, that was sometime last year and it happened late night early before while there was some nice swells rolling through. I've been pretty fortunate and rarely, and I mean rarely get any kind of seasickness. They say that focusing on the horizon this is supposed to prevent seasickness but by the time you start feeling like you want to toss your cookies its really to late what you stare at. They also say that the best remedy is to just let it out, try that next time. The one thing that worked for me last year was when I got hooked on a WSB, that made it go away almost instantly

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
DanaPT

I find a belly with food in it is better than it being empty.

A quick google search and I found this link: http://goddesscruise.com/SeaSick.htm

They seem to think that food can help do the trick for avoidance. But they also say no alcohol. WTF do they know?

Maybe a few more trips in rough conditions (after you shot-gun a beer) will help you find your sea legs and toughen up that gut of yours.

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #4
Mongo Johnson

Do devices. But I know a couple divers who swear the get instand relief by dropping off the boat and kicking around a bit. (Dive boat that is.)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
dorado50

I make it a habit to drink a large cup of coffee and a large cup of orange juice before I head out.
dorado50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Cbad Mike

I know from experience that there are just a very few things that are worse and harder than the paddle back in with full blown sea sickness. I have been prone to motion sickness since I was young. While I have yet to actually throw up on the kayak it is important to know that if you have full blown sickness and start puking its better and safer to do it straight ahead onto your kayak. You should not try to hang your head over the side. Sea sickness causes intense dizziness and fatigue. You can very easily lose you balance and fall into the water while vomiting. If that happens it is very dangerous because your body is going to react uncontrollably as in you will not have control of your breathing and could easily breath in two lungs full of water. Couple that with the fatigue and your in real trouble.
Now with that said... I do own and have occasionally used the bracelets but am not sure if they work or not because I also take Dramamine. I begin taking it the night before and then an hour before I launch and as needed on the water. I've read that the bracelets can help if put on at the first sign of motion sickness but since I take the Dramamine I can't say if it's the pills or bracelets that offer relief. Myth Busters had an episode where they tried to stop motion sickness after it started and they felt that eating ginger at the onset of discomfort was the only thing that worked once the sickness started. I have not tried ginger or the patches so I can't say anything about them.
The best things that work for me are Dramamine, keeping an eye on the horizon, cheese crackers, and sipping a bottle of water when quizyness starts. Smoking a cigarette definitely will NOT help. Once I feel better its back to beer, soda, cigarettes, sandwich.
I'm heading back out on Monday morning with a belly full of Dramamine in search of my first YT.
Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
blitzburgh

Every person's body is different. I take one "less-drowsy" Dramamine almost everytime I go out. When I fish the bays I take nothing and am fine. I have had some inshore trips where I have forgot to take it and never felt the slightest bit sick.....but I'm not taking that chance!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #8
Journeyman
Junior

This is what works for me...

Bonine, you'll find it right next to the dramamine, works great but doesn't make you drowsy.

Take one the night before followed by one an hour before you launch.

It's never the swells that get me, it's the wind chop (bobble heads always come to mind) but this method with Bonine has been my cure.
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
MrM

Awesome! Thanks for all the replies, I wasn't expecting this much feedback. I'm going to have to have a "pre fishing routine" now to avoid the , just in case.

Old 07-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
LexLutheran
Lurker

Bummer about the sea sickness. I am fortunate to have never had a problem with it. I was out there as well, but fishing a little farther toward crystal cove. My buddy had the same problem. He threw up twice. The section of kelp right after the sand flats is strange. It is fairly well sheltered from northwest swell, but there is so much boat traffiic it seems like you are always being tossed around by cris-crossing boat wake in addition to the regular swell. It was a lot calmer farther south.
How did you do fish wise? I had a rough go. I caught a couple Calicoes, but it was slow.
LexLutheran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Let me start by saying I had a great morning. Woke up at 5, a fellow BWE'er bought an item off me, and I was on the water @NPH by 6:45. Beautiful conditions, almost no wind, calm seas. Slightly overcast. Spent 30 minutes in the harbor trying to find bait, no luck. Head out the mouth, and I looked up and spotted a dolphin. Spun my head around, and spotted another. They were circling me from about 20 yards away. So I think, "either those aren't dolphins, or there's a school of fish down here!" Throw out my sabiki, and BAM! 3 good sized mac's on the same drop. Then on my 2nd drop, I got a 10 inch mac- Way too large for what I need!

About 2.5-3 hours in, I started to get a little uneasy. After playing the "I don't get sea sick" card for a half hour too long, I found out I can. And that paddle back sucked!

So here's my question... Do any of you guys use those bracelets? Dramamine? I might have to start using something just in case, it absolutely ruined my day on the water. What are your suggestions?
Go get some scopace from your doctor. There is the ear tab type and the pill type. I have seen the pill for in action and believe me they work and are the best on the market. You need a prescription for the pill or the ear tabs. Take one before you go out and you'll be fine all day.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

I use Zentrip. (I have only found it at Walgreens).

Two dissolvable strips 1hr before hitting the water. No night before and as needed BS....I have had a 20hr water session with no problems.
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #13
tootall

Ginger

Try baby ginger that has been candied. You can pick it up at Sprouts, it used to be called Henry's Market. You can also eat ginger snaps that can be found in the cookie section of the grocery store.
tootall is offline   Reply With Quote