Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
Journeyman
Junior

1st Post and a PA 12 Review

Hi everybody,

I've been lurking here for a while since getting interested in kayak fishing. I've learned a ton from the wealth of knowledge flowing around here and I appreciate those who are willing to share their knowledge and experience.

Just a disclaimer, I'm a complete beginner to all things fishing, especially kayaks. I've only been surf fishing for the past few months as well as hitting Dana Point harbor a few times a week (from the Jetty). I decided I needed a way to get on the water, so I began researching my options. Float tubes up to a skiff and everything in between. After much research I settled on a kayak for all the reasons you all know. I don't like wasting money on anything that I'll just end up wanting an upgrade from so I decided on not only a Hobie, but a PA 12 to boot.

Luckily, I was the first to put down a deposit at Dana Point Jet Ski and Kayak a few weeks ago and this morning my boat showed up.

So, after finishing up the work I needed to get done today, I headed down to Tims shop, completed the necessary paperwork and got on the water. Being my first time kayak fishing, I kept it simple just throwing a Kroc and I stayed inside the harbor primarily around the bait barge. Nothing to get to excited about but I caught a jacksmelt within minutes along with a handful of others and a yellow fin croaker. I was only out for about an hour and a half but it was a ton of fun and my first impression of the PA 12 could not be better.

First and foremost, the seat is just ridiculous. I started out with it in the low position but after a few minutes I moved it to the raised position and it worked great. Just as comfortable to peddle and very stable but it was just nice to sit up a little higher. Almost like going from a recliner to an office chair, it just puts you in work mode (not that there's any thing wrong with the low position, it's great as well). I'm sure the flexibility will be great during a long day on the water.

The steering was very sensitive, possibly a little to much when trying to track straight, which I know they have a solution for but I'd hate to lose the sharp steering that it gives you. I got in very close to the jetty to talk to a buddy and was able to do a U-turn to move away instead of having to grab the paddle and back up. I'll probably just end up leaving the stock steering pulley.

I didn't try standing in the boat as I was wearing my work boots and didn't want to take any chances, I'll save that test for a board shorts and flops day.

The only other kayaks I have to compare to are a couple of Cobra's my dad had about 10 years ago and the PA 14 I tested a few weeks ago so my opinion won't carry the same weight as other members but since it's still early day's in the PA 12's release I thought I'd put something out there to help hold over the other future owners.

I'm hoping to get out with one of BWE's resident guides in the near future to learn as much as possible and hopefully figure out how I want to rig my boat.

Here's some pics

Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
JeffB

A heck of a First Kayak!
Old 05-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
jorluivil

wow!!!

you're a lucky man!!!

Does the yak come with a sailing rudder or the smaller stock one? I recently changed my rudder from the stock one to a sailing one and noticed that the steering became extremely sensitive.

p.s.
ONE HELL OF A FIRST POST!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
Journeyman
Junior

Not sure about the rudder but here's some pics

Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

The PAs have a completely different recessed rudder system.

That is a heck of a first kayak!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
min-va

JEALOUS!!! nice first yak man!!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Badtaste2k

One of these days I am going to have to try out one of these PA's. The seat looks so high that it would be unstable but I am sure it is fine.

Dan
Badtaste2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

Congrats on the new ride!

The steering is perfect just the way it is. Just try not to over-steer. Think along the lines of micro adjustments. It's similar to when you're driving on the freeway and simply keeping your car in it's lane. Say, 1/4" to the right then 1/4" to the left.

Just make sure you go buy a hand bilge-pump, PFD and a big a$$ ice-chest! All three are essential items.

P.S. If you change your mind and decide to sell it, expect to lose about $5. You know the price of that gas to meet up? Something about supply and demand...
Old 05-25-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
Baja_Traveler

Since the rudder is almost 2 feet in from the back of the kayak, it turns like a much smaller boat. Man I can't wait to order mine - I just gotta be patient and save another grand...
Baja_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
lbsurf2ca

Such a rad rig. Bonus money where you at?

Anyone who has tried both know if the stability is equal to the 14?
Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Point of clarification: So, does "ridiculous" mean good? (I'm old school) and is the seat wide-enough for a "large" derriere?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Journeyman
Junior

The seat is both ridiculously good (each feature is fantastic) and quite wide. I'm sure most would have no issue fitting into it. 20.5" wide inside armrest to armrest.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #13
WahooUSMA

Nice....I miss mine.

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #14
roadx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman View Post
The seat is both ridiculously good (each feature is fantastic) and quite wide. I'm sure most would have no issue fitting into it. 20.5" wide inside armrest to armrest.
are the armrests out of the way for fishing? and how about turning around to get to the bait tank or stuff in the back?