Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
taggermike

straite spectra for surface iron?

Are any of you using braid on your surface iron outfits? If so what rod and reel combo are you using? I'm asking because I have braid on all my baitcasters and I love the way it casts and handles. I'm still old school on my surface iron rig- straite 40 lb mono. Id like to try spectra on a lighter, softer rod And smaller real. What are your thoughts and experience? Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
salty pirate

60# power pro braid with a 9ft leader of 40lb flo. you will want to use a slick knot for this set up. I don't know what the knot is called but can draw a diagram if you want. rod is calstar gfdh 800m 20-40. reel is a saltist 40 black and gold. by far the best surface set-up I have owned.

For me anything over 8ft gets in the way! braid takes a bit of practice to cast but I get less backlash then with mono and when I do get it its easy to undo.
salty pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

7'10 musky rod (super stiff as hell). tica caiman 200. 65# spectra. 5ft of fluoro (so the knot doesnt get caught up in the guides). or... 100ft of mono (so the knot doesnt get caught up in the guides on a cast).
Old 06-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Jimmyz123

I like to have a little stretch in the line with the surface jigs. I go with about 50' of mono for a topshot onto spectra.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
Are any of you using braid on your surface iron outfits? If so what rod and reel combo are you using?
It's seems like my Iron setups are constantly evolving.

For years I've been using conventionals that either came with a mag control or I magged myself, thirty pound power pro, six feet of 30 fluoro. Since any backlash can damage spectra, I prefer mag controls on conventionals.

Since I like rods I can put under the deck for launching my only conventional surface setup now is a Kencor 610-70c 7' 12-40 with a Penn 525mag 30 spectra six feet 30 fluoro.

I've made the plunge to spectra on spinning gear for Iron.

Kencor 610-80s 15-40 8ft Penn 560 slammer 30 power pro, eight feet 30 fluoro.

Kencor 610-70s 12-40 with a Penn 760 slammer 40 power pro, eight feet of 40 fluoro.

All these rods are two piece and designed to take a lot of load with light tips. the 610-80 though rated heavier has a lighter tip section then the 70s. All nare great for surface but I prefer shorter rods for dropping Iron deep.

The switch to spinning for surface Iron was really a no-brainer for me. It's all about the distance. 610-80s with it's light tip can cast a mega bait so far you have to watch closely to see where it hits the water. Over a hundred yards easy. The 610-70s with forty will throw larger Irons almost as far at least a third farther then I could throw them with conventional with less effort, and equal or better accuracy. I've caught both yellows and tuna with these spinning rigs and both reels have enough drag to comfortably fish spectra.

Personally I think these rigs are just about ideal, at least for me, then I grew up catching large fish on jigs, plugs and poppers using spinning gear.

Jim

Last edited by Fiskadoro; 06-30-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
Siebler

Personally I fish straight Mono on the iron. 40-50lb and a hammered drag, never lost a jig fish. With a rod that is made for fishing irons you need that stretch that Spectra doesnt offer.

Personally I fish an Ulua 9'3", a 90j and a 690 all paired up with Newell 338's

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
captnblood34

60# spectra on the saltist 30/ 7' Seeker combo (yoyo)
65# stealth braid on a jigmaster/ 7' seeker combo (everything)

Mono is like a thick rubber.....NO SENSATION!!!
captnblood34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
Dannowar

no straight spectra for me

i use gay spectra for gay seabass