Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 12-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
govomit

head shakes

A question for the more experienced -
Is there a fish other than YT that does violent runs straight down with a lot of head shakes ?
I'm trying to identify a recent brake-away macho from the middle of LJ's kelp.
??
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
chris138
donkey roper

yes....

chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
Oolie
Headshots Only

Did you button down the drag when it ran for the kelp?

In my experience if it's a croaker, buttoning down the drag you can turn them easily, with yt, once they go on a burner it's hard to turn them.

Yt will have slow, heavy headshakes. Croakers are one quick run and done if you even let them get started.

Any loss hurts when you know it was a big one, but that's the kelp game.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
govomit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
Did you button down the drag when it ran for the kelp?

In my experience if it's a croaker, buttoning down the drag you can turn them easily, with yt, once they go on a burner it's hard to turn them.

Yt will have slow, heavy headshakes. Croakers are one quick run and done if you even let them get started.
Oh, the wrestling was INSIDE the kelp, not from outside. Maybe 2-3 minutes, me getting him up couple times, then back to the deep full power. Multiple head shakes coming in bursts of 2-3-4 consecutive. Broke off a nylon-coated wire leader. Leader was old though, maybe better (how?) checking it next time.
Never caught a WSB and do not know how they pull. I think it was either a homeguard YT or a shark, but never had so many head shakes from a shark...
govomit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Oolie
Headshots Only

If you get a croaker away from their hide, they give up.

If you had multiple runs the chances are it was a yellow.

The kelp game is a fun one!

I've had limited success with anything other than fresh filament for leader material, and the kelp is a tackle tester, I would break out the best you can get if you're gunning for the battlegrounds.

All the time it takes to put the hook in the lip of a heavy fish, it would be a heartbreak to lose it if you could have prevented it.

Live, learn, and come home with supper.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
jorluivil

You will never know what it is until you actually see it. I've hooked my fair of fish that I thought were decent sized butts only to turn into a stingray that was hooked on one of its wings or a small shark that was tail hooked/wrapped. Most fish shake their heads so like I said, you will not know until you see it.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote