Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
TJones

Running 2 lines

I am looking for tips on running 2 lines on a kayak. Either both up high, or one up and one down. Regardless, I don’t have lots of experience doing this, and now seems like a good time to expand my skills. This week I lost a fish due to error. I hooked up on the fly line, and instead of concentrating on fighting the fish, I just put that reel in gear to set the hook while still in the rod holder. I tried to reel the other rig in as quickly as possible, at the same time while still keeping tension on th hooked fish. I finally get the rig in and stowed out of the way. Now time to concentrate on the fish. I peddled to try and get on top of the fish and quickly regain line. The fish was already in the weeds and slightly at an angle. It did not look good because of the angle. As soon as I took up most of my line back and tried putting heat, the hook popped loose from his mouth. Never got a good hook set, and or didn’t keep enough tension. What is best technique? Concentrate on fighting the fish? Any suggestions? Thanks.

Last edited by TJones; 06-12-2020 at 02:43 PM.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 02:46 PM   #2
igotpron
Xcoastie

I’m no expert. But if I’m targeting yt and I’m running a dropper and a fly line and I hook up. Focus on the fish!!! If your other setup gets tangled or wrapped up in your active fish who cares. It’s about landing the fish on the line. Now when your in the clear and the fish is peeling line, I keep the other rod in the holder and I make a few cranks here and there. I like my bg saltist for this. They crank a ridiculous amount of line.

Took me a couple heartbreaks to realize why do I care about some line and a hook? I’m here for the fish, I don’t care about what disposable gear I loose. Especially when you loose that one bite of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
igotpron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #3
TJones

2 lines

You run one fly line and one dropper? I have two distinct types of bottom rigs that I use for targeting yellows or sea bass. One is using a snap coast swivel with a bead stopper and then to your leader with bait. The snap coast swivel slides and gives the ability to quickly change out weights based on current conditions. I took this idea from another kayaker. My other method I got the idea from Ultimate fishing channel. Australian's like to use a deep drop rig which utilizes a sliding egg sinker. No big secret, but generally they up the size of weight. Say anything from 6 - 10 oz. I haven't used the rig a lot, but it works very well at getting bites. I have not landed any gamefish using this method because I am doing something wrong. I lost another yellow this week using this method. The fish viciously nailed the bait and the rod violently loaded up. Instead of having just slight pressure and allowing him to run, the lever drag was set too high and pulled the bait from him. Very disappointing when you loose a chance at a fish when your searching all day, more so when it is because of user error. I have made this mistake more than once with these fish. Bait remained intact, but his head and throat looked like it was put in a vice. Undeniably the jaws of a yellow. What is your preferred method for using the dropper rig? Do you keep this rod in hand? Thumb the spool with clicker on? Or do you put this rod in the holder? It seems like I would not make this error given the fact that I am using a lever drag. Maybe I should switch this rig up with a star drag? Any opinions? Thanks for input. Sadly, this is not a fish report. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:20 PM   #4
igotpron
Xcoastie

Running 2 lines

You got me it’s not an actual dropper rig. I either use a 3 way setup. Or essentially tie a 3 way setup using the spro swivels. If the waters clear of crap and I’m not near kelp. I will keep a 3way down in the water column, depending on conditions but 4-6 oz for the weight. I didn’t like the way my avet sx drags work. If a lever dragged worked the way I needed it I’d use. But for now the reels is once again my saltist. Reel is in freespool clicker on and I just tighten down the spool tension. This way I can get just the right amount of drag before it starts to give line. When it does get bit I’ll give it my 3 count and put it in gear. If I remember I’ll back off the tension. Now that I think about it. I need to get another saltist. They are easy enough to clean. And it helps when all your reels are the same when you do decide to clean them. Or dunk them for some unknown reason like attempting to pole vault a pro angler.

I tie I think it’s a overhand loop and slip that over my weights. This way I have a weak spot for it give.

Not an expert here. Just made a lot of mistakes. Obviously the best way to fish is the rod in your hand with your thumb one spool. But my surefire way to hookup. This almost always works for me. First you have to be just about ready to turn back. Frustrated no sitings or bites for the day. And you decided to eat your sandwich. Now it’s important that you remove the sandwich, get your chips and Gatorade out. Bite of sandwich, open the Gatorade. And as your drifting sideways into the kelp your fly line goes off and your other lines snagged in the kelp. Other then ruining your sandwich and loosing a rig. It’s pretty much my go to. And if your having a bad day, give it a shot.

Last edited by igotpron; 06-12-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
fishnfoool

I run one fly line and one caroline rig. I let the fly line go further out than the Carolina rig. The carolina rig is pretty close to the kayak. If I hook up with either bait! I will at least know where the other bait is. This way I don't have to bring in the line of the bait that is not bit.

Last edited by fishnfoool; 06-13-2020 at 04:01 PM.
fishnfoool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:33 AM   #6
Oolie
Headshots Only

When fishing big game, I almost always fish multiple lines, but that's to target multiple parts of the water column.

I wouldn't recommend multiple lines at the same depth unless running a planing board or something similar to spread your trolling rig out.

But if you are stationary or drifting, multiple lines is an excellent way to cover the column.

Make sure you're prepared to deal with the multibite though, as it's not uncommon to double-up when the school breezes through.

Don't let a rod stay out of your hands for long unless you're deadsticking. I usually get bit on the rod in my hand, or at least I'm present to respond when it happens. If you are too slow, it's usually a missed opportunity.

If the hook popped loose it means either the hook was not in their mouth (they had your bait grabbed far from the hook) or your hook was in their mouth, but at the wrong angle to stick them.

Fish will often run with a bait in their mouth, stop, spit it, and grab it head first once they are away from the school. Don't get antsy, give them a chance to get the hook in their mouth. Ever reel in a clicker burner just to see the scrapes half way down the bait?

If you're looking for a way to keep them out of the weeds, I don't have one yet, but you can use coarse braid to help cut the kelp, but it's usually only effective before the fish get buried. You have to use your momentum in combination with theirs in order to saw the algae apart.

As you can see, for double hookups, it can be a bit situational, but if you get one running for open water, and one running towards the kelp beds, I would let the one running for open water run on loosened drag, and prioritize the bed bound fish, pedaling in its direction to keep popping kelp stringers, once you get that to gaff then worry about the other one.

That is a best-case scenario.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:38 PM   #7
TJones

thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oolie View Post
When fishing big game, I almost always fish multiple lines, but that's to target multiple parts of the water column.

I wouldn't recommend multiple lines at the same depth unless running a planing board or something similar to spread your trolling rig out.

But if you are stationary or drifting, multiple lines is an excellent way to cover the column.

Make sure you're prepared to deal with the multibite though, as it's not uncommon to double-up when the school breezes through.

Don't let a rod stay out of your hands for long unless you're deadsticking. I usually get bit on the rod in my hand, or at least I'm present to respond when it happens. If you are too slow, it's usually a missed opportunity.

If the hook popped loose it means either the hook was not in their mouth (they had your bait grabbed far from the hook) or your hook was in their mouth, but at the wrong angle to stick them.

Fish will often run with a bait in their mouth, stop, spit it, and grab it head first once they are away from the school. Don't get antsy, give them a chance to get the hook in their mouth. Ever reel in a clicker burner just to see the scrapes half way down the bait?

If you're looking for a way to keep them out of the weeds, I don't have one yet, but you can use coarse braid to help cut the kelp, but it's usually only effective before the fish get buried. You have to use your momentum in combination with theirs in order to saw the algae apart.

As you can see, for double hookups, it can be a bit situational, but if you get one running for open water, and one running towards the kelp beds, I would let the one running for open water run on loosened drag, and prioritize the bed bound fish, pedaling in its direction to keep popping kelp stringers, once you get that to gaff then worry about the other one.

That is a best-case scenario.
I have seen videos from guys of hooking doubles and they make it look so easy. One thing is for sure, after you have made the same mistake a couple of times, it burns a lasting impression in you memory. Tight lines. You both touched on all of the important factors. Thanks again.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:09 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I have seen videos from guys of hooking doubles and they make it look so easy. One thing is for sure, after you have made the same mistake a couple of times, it burns a lasting impression in you memory. Tight lines. You both touched on all of the important factors. Thanks again.
You can hang a hooked fish in the rod holder, but you have to fight it underneath you first typically. And you don't want to try it near kelp. If you are going to fish two lines, do one high and one low, with both rods on the same side of the boat. Then when you get hooked up you turn toward that side and it will help you keep the second line in the clear.

Your issue wasn't so much that you had too much drag that pulled the hook... more likely that the drag turned the fish and it got slack in the line when you werent there to reel it up. Especially if it found kelp, it can fee like the weight it is still there but the fish had actually turned back toward you and has a slack leader.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:54 PM   #9
SoCalEDC

Lots of good info here, thanks guys
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
FullFlavorPike

I've gotten bit on the dropper loop with a flyline also running out the back before, and the thing that wigged me out was having the fish spin me in circles, which wrapped the flyline around my spare rods and stuff. I was thinking about what would happen if something picked up the flylined bait and started spooling spectra out at warp speed when that spectra is all tangled in my stuff. I didn't love the thought.

My guess is this is a problem hobies don't have, since you can probably prevent that circling pretty easily with a few pedal strokes and clever rudder placement; but I have yet to figure out a method of controling the boat with the paddle and winding on a running fish at the same time.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:28 PM   #11
Oolie
Headshots Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
I've gotten bit on the dropper loop with a flyline also running out the back before, and the thing that wigged me out was having the fish spin me in circles, which wrapped the flyline around my spare rods and stuff. I was thinking about what would happen if something picked up the flylined bait and started spooling spectra out at warp speed when that spectra is all tangled in my stuff. I didn't love the thought.

My guess is this is a problem hobies don't have, since you can probably prevent that circling pretty easily with a few pedal strokes and clever rudder placement; but I have yet to figure out a method of controling the boat with the paddle and winding on a running fish at the same time.
Two things.
Using a drift chute helps because it prevents the fish from pulling you around easily, it really puts the pressure on them, which can cause hooks to pull and straighten more easily, so verify your drag settings and tackle if you go this route. You don't need to be drifting for this to be relevant, if you're trolling and you get bit, throw the setup chute in the ocean and it will self-set.

The other thing is a rudder. As long as the kayak is in motion, the rudder is affecting the travel direction, so having a rudder can help steer the kayak to correct for line placement, but it isn't the best solution, as it requires some micromanaging. When combined with pedals or a passive motion (trolling motor) it becomes more effective when caught in the heat of the moment.

Nothing prepares you for the moment of truth like mental prep. A little meditation on the moment most stressful will prepare you to deal with the situation more than any other method. Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Oolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:07 PM   #12
TJones

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
Lots of good info here, thanks guys
Thanks for all the tips. Really helpful.
Old 06-19-2020, 01:14 PM   #13
JohnMckroidJr

Interesting to read the different perspectives. Normally, I would never throw out a drift chute while fighting a fish. Instead, chase the fish down. The less line out, the less chance for something to go wrong. In my area, a lot of line out might mean a boater cuts your line, or your fish finds a wreck or sharp bottom to cut your line on. By chasing the fish down, you keep the fish in more of a straight up and down position which means less chance of the fish breaking your line with a tail lash. Normally one equates a tail lash break with a shark, but it can happen with other fork-tailed pelagics as well. Focus on the fish, if the other line gets tangled, cut it if you have to.
Peddling can keep the other line clear of the way as you bring in the fish. Usually, I will take winds intermittently on the other line in the rod holder until it is clear before the hooked fish starts circling the kayak. In my area, if plenty of bait is available, 1 line is trolled on the surface while the other is run deep. I use a downrigger for my deep bait, but most will put a 6-8oz sinker on the deep line by rubber band about 60ft up from the live bait.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:50 PM   #14
FullFlavorPike

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Interesting to read the different perspectives. Normally, I would never throw out a drift chute while fighting a fish. Instead, chase the fish down. The less line out, the less chance for something to go wrong. In my area, a lot of line out might mean a boater cuts your line, or your fish finds a wreck or sharp bottom to cut your line on. By chasing the fish down, you keep the fish in more of a straight up and down position which means less chance of the fish breaking your line with a tail lash. Normally one equates a tail lash break with a shark, but it can happen with other fork-tailed pelagics as well. Focus on the fish, if the other line gets tangled, cut it if you have to.
Peddling can keep the other line clear of the way as you bring in the fish. Usually, I will take winds intermittently on the other line in the rod holder until it is clear before the hooked fish starts circling the kayak. In my area, if plenty of bait is available, 1 line is trolled on the surface while the other is run deep. I use a downrigger for my deep bait, but most will put a 6-8oz sinker on the deep line by rubber band about 60ft up from the live bait.

For sure getting over the fish is step one in any fair fight. The circling thing happens after you get over them. If, say, a healthy la jolla YT is running in big circles, it can have your boat doing pirouettes. Hobie guys don't have the problem because they can twist the rudder and give the drive a kick and that's that. I have no rudder on my boat, and I'm not even sure the currently available OK rudder kits can even attach to it. Might be obsolete.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:57 PM   #15
igotpron
Xcoastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullFlavorPike View Post
For sure getting over the fish is step one in any fair fight. The circling thing happens after you get over them. If, say, a healthy la jolla YT is running in big circles, it can have your boat doing pirouettes. Hobie guys don't have the problem because they can twist the rudder and give the drive a kick and that's that. I have no rudder on my boat, and I'm not even sure the currently available OK rudder kits can even attach to it. Might be obsolete.

I believe the stupid ones just spin in a circle. While the “home guards” bolt for any structure they can find.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:52 PM   #16
jorluivil

I ALWAYS run two lines, sometimes I will run three but when running three you have constantly be paying attention to your lines.

If I'm running two and I hook a fish here is what I do:

1. Adjust my seat because chances are I was sleeping
8. Call Tony and Greg on the radio and ask them what we're having for lunch
3. Take a selfie and do a TikTok
9. Listen to Tony complain and say that I hooked nothing more than a batray
2. Check text messages and missed calls
4. Set hook
6. Wonder why I'm out fishing and not at home sleeping
5. Set hook, again.
3. Wind up other line(s)
2. Get back on the radio and tell Tony and Greg that it feels like my PB
8. Adjust my seat, again
7. Take another selfie because I wasn't happy with the first one
1. Release batray

Hope that helps

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 10:27 AM   #17
TJones

Glad you finally chimed in

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
I ALWAYS run two lines, sometimes I will run three but when running three you have constantly be paying attention to your lines.

4. Set hook
5. Set hook, again.
3. Wind up other line(s)
8. Adjust my seat, again
1. Release batray

Hope that helps
Hope you are well and safe.
Old 06-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

4. Set hook
5. Set hook, again.
3. Wind up other line(s)
8. Adjust my seat, again
1. Release batray

Hope that helps
LMFAO I'm dying
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #19
FullFlavorPike

"1. adjust my seat ... 1. release batray"

It's funny cuz it's true.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #20
TJones

This is not a fish report

Lost what would have been a personal best fumbling with second line. Had him at color. Estimated to be 45-50 lb. I’m done running 2 lines.