Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #1
dgarland10

Lowrance Hook2 Triple Shot

I am a FF novice, and have learned a lot here including a bunch of great info from Chris B. My Hook2 triple shot often does not display depth. If I turn it off and back on sometimes it displays then or will display for a few then stop. Any ideas on how to remedy this?
dgarland10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:54 AM   #2
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarland10 View Post
I am a FF novice, and have learned a lot here including a bunch of great info from Chris B. My Hook2 triple shot often does not display depth. If I turn it off and back on sometimes it displays then or will display for a few then stop. Any ideas on how to remedy this?
I had a Hook2 (5") and had the same issue. It was due to depth. The unit itself is rated to about 600 feet in freshwater , using the 200khz frequency). In saltwater that's probably more like 400 based on the bottom composition.

I would frequently lose depth reading when going over canyons I think the deepest I ever read was about 450 in saltwater with that unit, but usually it would start going blank around 350'. You can probably get a lower frequency xducer for it but you will have to reach out to lowrance and see what will work.

Btw I was using the splitshot/HDI (200khz xducer) not the triple shot.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 10:32 AM   #3
JohnMckroidJr

Try applying a generous blob of dielectric grease on all connection points. It has been a game-changer for me on many occasions.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Try applying a generous blob of dielectric grease on all connection points. It has been a game-changer for me on many occasions.
100% game changer
Old 10-26-2020, 12:54 PM   #5
erinoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post

It most definitely works....
erinoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 02:28 PM   #6
dgarland10

I have heard not to put dielectric grease on male plugs? How do you guys recommend applying?
Old 10-31-2020, 10:48 AM   #7
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgarland10 View Post
I have heard not to put dielectric grease on male plugs? How do you guys recommend applying?
Generously. I put a blob on either the male or female end, make sure it is lined up properly for connecting, and then firmly press the fittings together. The access grease will ooze out of any tolerance gaps in the connection, that might otherwise be subject to water ingress. After connected, the excess that oozed out can be wiped off with a rag.

A larger automotive tube of dielectric grease from amazon is the most economical purchase.

Note: It has been brought to my attention that the Lowrance Hook2 does not have a bayonet locking plug to connect the cables to the unit. Without the bayonet locking mechanism, dielectric grease cannot be applied in the generous manner that I have used on other Lowrance, Garmin, and Raymarine units. Reportedly the hook2 cables just plug in with no means of locking them connected. Due to the less permanent plug in system, the excess grease reportedly prevents the plug from staying connected to the unit.

Last edited by JohnMckroidJr; 11-02-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #8
dgarland10

Thanks John for that note on last message. I put some grease into the male portion of power and transducer plug and now the plugs, with the female ends, wont stay connected. I have swabbed out the the male plugs, and tried to use a paper clip to clean grease out of female plug, but still not connecting. Its like an air bubble is preventing the plugs from connecting. If I hold the power plug in, the unit powers up, but as soon as I let go the plug comes right out. Any suggestions?
Old 11-12-2020, 08:18 AM   #9
JohnMckroidJr

https://www.lowrance.com/contact-us/

Check out the FAQ's if they don't fulfill your query eventually there should be a means of contacting a representative. I am amazed you are having this issue and perhaps a rep can shed light as to why this is a problem.

Before I was gung ho on dielectric grease, I had a few incidents of corroded FF plugs. Multistrand fishing wire works well for cleaning the corrosion out of female plugs. Cut 2" long pieces, insert them in the female holes, and twirl. As the wire twirls, it unravels and cleans out the corrosion. The dielectric grease might lack the resistance to cause the wire to unravel, but the grooved form of the wire will gradually remove the excess grease, similar to a small drill bit. If you try this make sure the wire is multistrand uncoated. https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/amer...ductextensions

Dielectric grease is an excellent corrosion protector of electric connectors. Don't wreck a good thing by putting a solvent on the connectors that will prevent the grease from doing it's job.