Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 PM   #1
SocalKayaker818
Junior

First Time Launching

Headed to Malibu Beach sometime this weekend. First time using my yak in the ocean. So any tips would be much appreciated. Does anyone know any launch spots that would be ideal for me? I dont plan on going out to far just where the beds are.

Thanks!
SocalKayaker818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:26 AM   #2
tacmik

Don't know anything about the malibu area. What I do know is to leash anything down that you don't want to lose. If you want to keep it, secure it. Landing in the surf is harder than launching.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Malibu can be a tough launch, Leo is typically where I launch. It's all about picking your days, timing the sets, and paddling like hell to get past the zone. Definitely leash everything and don't carry unnecessary gear. Use the search function for launch tips and you should find a few threads. Not to get ahead of you though but you also want to start researching landing tips because often that's more difficult than launching.
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:29 AM   #4
Raskal311

Do a few test launch without your equipments. Roll the yak with rods in rod holders will likely end up with broken rods.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:53 AM   #5
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Don't know anything about the malibu area. What I do know is to leash anything down that you don't want to lose. If you want to keep it, secure it. Landing in the surf is harder than launching.
Don't leash your paddle on launch and landing. It can tangle you if you roll in the surf and cause problems
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 07:57 AM   #6
mclanea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskal311 View Post
Do a few test launch without your equipments. Roll the yak with rods in rod holders will likely end up with broken rods.
Second this recommendation. Plan on getting wet.
mclanea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
yemff

just south of the pier
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 08:28 AM   #8
taggermike

How experienced are you? Are you comfortable in your kayak on flat water? If you're not maybe stay in the bays until you are. I'll second Raskal; try a few launches/landings with out any gear. It will give you some confidence and show you what and how things can go wrong with the only consequences being getting wet and maybe swimming in after your kayak. Expanding your "comfort zone" step by step is better than a jump in to the deep end, so to speak. And know when to say when. If you show up at the beach and the surf is up or there are no breaks in the waves, or it's windy there's nothing wrong with going home or hitting a local bay. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:07 AM   #9
SocalKayaker818
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
Malibu can be a tough launch, Leo is typically where I launch. It's all about picking your days, timing the sets, and paddling like hell to get past the zone. Definitely leash everything and don't carry unnecessary gear. Use the search function for launch tips and you should find a few threads. Not to get ahead of you though but you also want to start researching landing tips because often that's more difficult than launching.
I might try Leo. Another yaker told me to launch near the stairs.. I will deff do my homework before I head out.

Thanks brotha
Old 01-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
SocalKayaker818
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taggermike View Post
How experienced are you? Are you comfortable in your kayak on flat water? If you're not maybe stay in the bays until you are. I'll second Raskal; try a few launches/landings with out any gear. It will give you some confidence and show you what and how things can go wrong with the only consequences being getting wet and maybe swimming in after your kayak. Expanding your "comfort zone" step by step is better than a jump in to the deep end, so to speak. And know when to say when. If you show up at the beach and the surf is up or there are no breaks in the waves, or it's windy there's nothing wrong with going home or hitting a local bay. Mike

I bass fish in several lakes. So I do have some experience... But thats easy to launch into only time I have issues is when the wind picks. So I probably take the advice of practicing before heading out. Any bays you suggest that have some type of beds near by? Or any spots with some good rock fish I can catch?

Thanks man appreciate the response.
Old 01-03-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
momo fish

If you are heading to Malibu this is the perfect time today and Sunday as it has been as flat as I have ever seen it. Head to Leo as waves have less power than county so even if you time it wrong it won't flip you heading out. Biggest issue will be wind and chop in the afternoon. Once you see kite surfers that's your queue to head in.
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote