Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Tuff guy

Another Big 5 rod question

I just got a $250 squidco gift certificate for Christmas and I plan on using it to buy an avet MXJ reel and I have been looking around for a good rod to match up with it. I swung by Big 5 today and noticed they were having a sale. I saw a few different rods that may work. That being said, I don't want to buy a piece of crap rod and put a nice new reel on it, but it would be nice to get a rod at an affordable price.

they had this model Seeker:
http://www.tackledirect.com/seeker-s...sting-rod.html

and they had a bunch of cheaper sabre brand rods.

I am looking to use this rod/reel combo for trolling live bait. any input on either that particular Seeker or any of the Sabre brand rods?
Tuff guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:50 PM   #2
yemff

just got back from big5 as well, those sabre rods for 40 sure are tempting.
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
solyluna

I love avet I have about 10 of them but they not doing good on kayak
I had to service my sx twice this year and the 1st time they had
Too replace the spool
solyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
YakDout
Brandon

Mxj is a sweet reel and you will like it. Avet makes good stuff. Never used those seekers that you posted but I can tell you my favorite rod is a 15-30 sabre I picked up for $40 at big 5, years ago. Cork tape jigstick. I have had to replace a couple eyes on the guides, but for $40 it is definitely still worth it. You don't need a $300 fishing rod to catch fish. The sabre that I have gets more use than my $300 phenix if that helps.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
YakDout
Brandon

Almost forgot, check out Alan Tani reel repair online. Step by step instructions for servicing most reels we use. The avets are one of the easiest. I stopped taking my reels in because I enjoy working on them and seeing how they work. and which parts in the reel commonly fail. The bill that I used to get after a summer season sucked too. Buy some Cal's drag grease maybe an inexpensive parts washer and I'm sure you have some screwdrivers.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #6
Tuff guy

Thanks for the tip, I have a saber on my penn spinfisher V and like it, no reason why it wouldn't hold up well with the avet... I agree about servicing the reels, I'll have to check that site out
Old 12-29-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
RobFish
Massive Member

The Avet MX series rock. I have an MXJ on a Seeker 7' 30# rod.
The Seeker MGC is just the new name for the Stealth line. Not sure why they changed the name, but a composite rod that shares much of the tech and build style of their Super Seeker line. Super light weight too. Really light. Nice.
The 7030 is stiff. Not a lot of flex in that badboy, and tons of backbone. Still a great rod, but sometimes a stiff rod used with braid offers not a lot of give when it comes down to it, which is why I mounted my MXJ onto a Seeker American Series (all glass) so it would have a little give to it.
That 7030 MGC is usually 139.99 at the Big 5 on Rosecrans.
It was mentioned before, do you need a $300 rod to catch fish. Nope.
True story…in college I caught a fish with a hook on some line. Booger for bait.
For the $$$, you get nice guides, nice reel seats, nice foam grips, etc.
Once you put together all the nice stuff, the only thing not nice is the price.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:51 PM   #8
octico

I went to the Big 5 in Orange and they did not have them. Which Big 5 did you go to?
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #9
Tuff guy

I work in el centro during the week so I went to the big 5 out there, they had quite a few seekers, but I checked back today and they weren't on sale. I do want to pick one u, but I think Ill wait until they mark them down. Headed to squidco this weekend to see what they have
Old 12-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #10
RobFish
Massive Member

Yo Tuff,
Joey from SCo is a classy guy and his prices are usually below others, but if they happen to be higher on whatever rod you choose, head around the corner to Big5, see if they have it in stock, then head back to Joey and he'll usually match it.
Either way, enjoy your new rod.
Old 12-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #11
yemff

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
I went to the Big 5 in Orange and they did not have them. Which Big 5 did you go to?
They were only on sale through 12/29
yemff is offline   Reply With Quote