Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
Aaron&Julie

Congratulations on your fine score. I worked albie boats before and never heard of a shark bit fish dq'ing somebody from the pot. I could understand in the case of 100lb bigeye or bluefin cut in two, during the middle of a fight, and outweighing another whole tuna that was 30 or 40 lbs. But, a quality fish, losing it's tail at gaff shouldn't be dq'd, IMHO.

That captain is a douche, and doesn't deserve to be a skipper. I feel sorry for the other passengers on your trip, who's day was ruined by him.

I hope you copy and paste this trip report to ALL the other boards, especially BloodyDecks. Seaforth and the Eclipse will lose customers. People need to know.
Even if it was limits of 75lb bluefin going on, I wouldn't board a boat with an asshole like that.
BTW, you have great patience and an outstanding attitude. I hope you contact the landing as well as your post here, to let them know of your experience.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #22
TCS

Funny about the spro swivels. I've had the same thing happen multiple times. I have never had one fail, and the only knot I really know how to tie well is a san diego, so I use them too. I can retie without assistance in the middle of a bite, at night, or whenever. If you compare size and weight of my connection with albrights or RP knots there just isn't that much difference.

Technically he was correct that a sharkbit fish can't win, but he should have made the call in your favor if the gaff was in the fish.
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:38 PM   #23
steveooo

I've ridden the Eclipse with Mark at the helm plenty of times. I must have just missed you, as I was on the trip prior to yours. All of my experiences on the Eclipse have been different than yours, and each time I have found the capt and crew to be very customer service oriented.

That is a nice BFT. I bet it was a hell of a fight. Bummer about it being sharkbit, but I bet it tasted good regardless.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #24
Scoot
Scoot

I saw it...

Happen on an 8 dayer shark bit right at gaff.
Gaff, disqualified him and it was big
money like 500. bucks! Captins call
sad to hear Mark is an ahole, was
looking forward to fishin that boat,
not no mo!!
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:37 PM   #25
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoot View Post
Happen on an 8 dayer shark bit right at gaff.
Gaff, disqualified him and it was big
money like 500. bucks! Captins call
sad to hear Mark is an ahole, was
looking forward to fishin that boat,
not no mo!!
Whats the reasoning behind disqualifying fish that are bitten by a shark? If it still weighs the most even after having a chunk removed I dont see why it shouldnt qualify
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #26
Tandem Assassin

Try The Cortez

Sorry you had to experience a first class prick. Try the Cortez. Rambo runs a tight ship and makes sure everyone gets treated fairly. I have never heard a complaint and always see people smiling at the end of a productive trip.
Tandem Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #27
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazywakeboarder View Post
Whats the reasoning behind disqualifying fish that are bitten by a shark? If it still weighs the most even after having a chunk removed I dont see why it shouldnt qualify
The theory is that if your fish gets chomped, your last x number of minutes of the fight is with a fish with no tail or dead from a chomp out of the middle, did you really win the fight with that fish or did you have an advantage over someone whose fish was a pound lighter but unmolested by a shark. I don't have strong feelings either way but it is pretty much a standard rule on every boat I have been on.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
Dan

#1 that sucks. i've had great trips on that boat.

#2 sad for the newbs or tourists that get picked on for sucking or being clueless.

#3 ditch the spros, learn an albright
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #29
crazywakeboarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
The theory is that if your fish gets chomped, your last x number of minutes of the fight is with a fish with no tail or dead from a chomp out of the middle, did you really win the fight with that fish or did you have an advantage over someone whose fish was a pound lighter but unmolested by a shark. I don't have strong feelings either way but it is pretty much a standard rule on every boat I have been on.
I understand now, thats why stating at the gaff would make some difference. Part of fishing I guess, there are fish fishing for themselves also.
crazywakeboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 06:54 PM   #30
kobra

Congrats on the quality fish.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #31
fishingfiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Guadalupe trips would bump into this rule back in the day. I have not seen it applied here locally, but then again the hammerheads seem to only show up in El Nino conditions. Either way, as noted it was the captain's call and that just sucks that he made a bad decision IMO. Glad you still took care of business and didn't let that captain on the rag ruin your trip. Congrats on a trophy local BFT!

If I remember correctly, the Eclipse used to be up here at Davey's Locker as the Cat Special. When Kenny ran it, it was always a great experience. Sucks to hear about the current captain.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:33 PM   #32
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
If I remember correctly, the Eclipse used to be up here at Davey's Locker as the Cat Special. When Kenny ran it, it was always a great experience. Sucks to hear about the current captain.
Hmmm, Cat Special, huh? Fished it myself a few times under different skippers and different names, Julie, too. I didn't know it was the Eclipse now. I also liked that boat layout, no matter the name.
Maybe this Captain was skippering one too many days without enough sleep. I know from experience, that's tough on anybody. I still wouldn't risk a trip with him as the skipper, just from your experience alone, I don't give a hoot if he's pretty good 9 out of 10 days, it's that one day that really counts.
Aaron
Old 08-23-2014, 07:17 AM   #33
Widgeon

Sounds like an awsome experience and life long memories.

I fished a 3/4 day on the SD last week and spent a lot of time on the bow. Caught an average sized YFT on a shimano colt sniper and a couple on bait. We ran into a couple hammer heads also. There was an older gent that out-fished everyone. He caught about a dozen on a huge, pink popper.
Good times
Widgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:27 AM   #34
Zfish03

Thanks for the comments fellas. Hopefully most of you have gotten a stab at the tuna action. I was very stoked to have such an awesome kill box. There was some positives about the Eclipse too, the deckhands rocked, food was good, and we caught fish. The other captains of the boat might be great guys. Just my personal experience, along with a few others, could have been better. As far as gear goes, use what works for you and be open about sharing ideas/equipment.
Go get 'em.
-Zac
Zfish03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #35
T-Rex

Nice fish! Sorry to hear about your bad experience! I've been buying the Fred Hall 10-day packages for the Eclipse the last few years and have never had a problem. Capt. Mark and the crew have always been great and I've really enjoyed my trips on the Eclipse. One of my favorite boats to fish on.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:49 AM   #36
ctfphoto

Awesome fish and report.

I was on the San Diego out of Seaforth yesterday and had the absolute best captain and crew ever. Ever!

Plus it was WFO and we had a boat limit of YFT, 5 per rod.

My best off shore trip ever.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #37
RK

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveooo View Post
I've ridden the Eclipse with Mark at the helm plenty of times. I must have just missed you, as I was on the trip prior to yours. All of my experiences on the Eclipse have been different than yours, and each time I have found the capt and crew to be very customer service oriented.

Bummer on the shit session but I gotta say this is one of the best sporties Ive been on, I believe we had Mark and Chris and the service was nothing short of top notch.
At least you got a nice fish...
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 08:29 PM   #38
JarrodMc

Nice report and awesome haul man. I also know which boat I'm NOT going on. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #39
Rufus

"That's why skippers/owners who came up through LoPreste and Poole succeed where others don't!"

Ain't that the truth!!
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:09 AM   #40
Smthtnnr
Fishing Addict

Too cool. Beautiful fish, I'm way jealous. Bummer about the captain, but hard to complain when you have 70lbs of bluefin!!!
Smthtnnr is offline   Reply With Quote