Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #1
Sully1

Seal Bite

Have you ever eaten a fish with fresh Seal bite wounds? I pulled this fish out of the kelp, then fought a seal, freespooled multiple times, and chased it until it let go. Thanks Aaron for slamming your kayak paddle on the water, I think that also helped. I cut the gills, and was planning on cutting around the wounds and just cooking it and not eating any sashimi. Have you heard of anyone getting sick from a fish bitten by a seal? Cheers.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Personally...I wouldn't eat it. Especially if the fish you just caught had a working circulatory system when it got bit....Why take a chance of getting sick? You catch at least 1 fish every outing anyways...just catch another one.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:14 PM   #3
bolocop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Personally...I wouldn't eat it. Especially if the fish you just caught had a working circulatory system when it got bit....Why take a chance of getting sick? You catch at least 1 fish every outing anyways...just catch another one.
First world problems....sigh!
bolocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #4
FullFlavorPike

Google "seal finger" and get spooked.

It's probably cool though, but if you're worried you can always cook it rather than eat poke. Cooking removes all woes except for the ones that yellowtail don't give you (scombroid poisoning, etc.)
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Attention Cbadmike:

Do not accept any yellowtail donations from Sully1 today!

Seriously though...seals are wild animals, with all kinds of bacteria and viruses and diseases in their mouth...Chances are you might be fine if you eat it...but why put yourself and family at risk over a yellowtail?
Old 04-20-2016, 03:49 PM   #6
Sully1

I definitely wouldn't give it to family. I always return any of my uneaten catch / carcass to the sea which seems to bring good karma. Outside of the dogs, nice day on the water this am.
Old 04-26-2016, 06:42 PM   #7
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sully1 View Post
Have you ever eaten a fish with fresh Seal bite wounds? I pulled this fish out of the kelp, then fought a seal, freespooled multiple times, and chased it until it let go. Thanks Aaron for slamming your kayak paddle on the water, I think that also helped. I cut the gills, and was planning on cutting around the wounds and just cooking it and not eating any sashimi. Have you heard of anyone getting sick from a fish bitten by a seal? Cheers.

Invite the mother in law over and make her dinner, if she makes it to the next day you can feed it to the family