Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #1
quilicaw
The Professor

Morro Bay?

Hi all,

I am headed up to Morrow Bay this Thursday. Has anyone fished in the harbor or outside there? Tips? Location? And yes, I know about the sharks there. Sharks and I have an understanding.

Amadeo
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by quilicaw View Post
Hi all,

Sharks and I have an understanding.

Amadeo
Let me guess. . . You don't eat sharks and they don't eat you?

Seems fair.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
Lipripper92592

I grew up fishing Morro and the Central Coast area. The halibut have been going off between the rock and Cayucos, there was squid around a few weeks ago, but I don't know if they are still around. Bounce ball, or drift live bait, I think the depth was 45'. For the most part, the bay is stacked with huge rays and leopard sharks. In the bay I drift whole squid with a swivel and sliding sinker. Spooners Cove in MDO has good fishing and a fairly easy launch. Large swimbaits with leadheads have worked in the past in this area. Yo Yo irons will score too, but you will hang up quite a bit. The kelp beds just north of Cayucos pier hold rockfish. Don't sweat the sharks, just keep the go-pro going. Leffingwell has a small beach launch area, great shallow water rockfishing, huge lings and reds in 45'. Irons, glow, and white have worked well in this spot as huge swim baits work well too. A few years ago I had a buddy puking off the bow of my zodiac chumming up the blue rock fish, curdled milk and donuts for chum. We were dipping jigs and catching so many fish 3 feet under the boat....but my puking buddy didn't think it was that funny at the time. Check out the reports on Central Coast kayaking.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
quilicaw
The Professor

Thanks guys.
quilicaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:02 PM   #5
kayachapi

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/a...1&d=1375840304 MDO/Spooners cove. May 1st with my boys. Nice campground at MDO and you can use the showers, water and dump station at Morro Bay State campground. We where there 5 days, limited in 3, and ate plenty of tasty rockfish. Weather and seas can be tough. We were very lucky. Frozen squid, If you catch a ling and it barfs up baby octopus, grab it quickly, and get another ling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V__13B5.jpg (70.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000633.jpg (59.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg WP_000599.jpg (56.8 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg V__EBBD.jpg (71.8 KB, 102 views)
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #6
momo fish

nice timing.. Going up on friday and then big sur saturday for camping and fishing.. Possibly san fran on sunday...

any tips on big sur or any lakes,rivers nearby worth drive to fish?
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote