Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-01-2019, 08:49 PM   #1
Amish Ed

Newport or J Street or Tidelands this Sat?

Looking for a sherpa/fishing partner for this Sat. The deal is that my son finally (I've been trying for 6 months) has a free Saturday to fish, but he's not quite strong enough to load and unload the kayaks with me. So, I need a little help. If you plan on going and wouldn't mind helping, let's meet up. This will be my son's first time spottie fishing and his first time kayak fishing. So, I'll be in teaching mode. Perhaps you're new to bass fishing and need some help getting started. This would be a great day to come out.
Old 10-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #2
jdvarnold

I will be there - Either launching from M-street or the CG.

jdvarnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
slammah
Junior

I was planning on going to Newport Harbor this Saturday and I'm down to meet up with you guys. I'm new to kayak fishing and it'll be my 3rd trip out. I can definitely help you load/unload and would definitely appreciate any helpful pointers! I still haven't caught a fish on the kayak :/
slammah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
AlwaysFishing

Total newbie

I am totally new at kayak fishing. I mean like never fish on a kayak or ever own one. I just purchased one from OEX Sunset Beach and will be picking it up today.
May I tag along? I am from Long Beach by the 91 freeway. Thx.
AlwaysFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #5
Amish Ed

We're meeting Slammah at lower castaways park at 530am. Everyone is welcome. Alwaysfishing, did you get your yak?
Old 10-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Amish Ed

My son and I are meeting Slammah at lower castaways park at 530am. Everyone is welcome. Alwaysfishing, did you get your yak?
Old 10-03-2019, 09:44 PM   #7
AlwaysFishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Ed View Post
My son and I are meeting Slammah at lower castaways park at 530am. Everyone is welcome. Alwaysfishing, did you get your yak?
Hi yes I picked up my Topwater 120 PDL today. I will definitely be seeing you there. I don't yet have a whole lot of gears so I will be going light. What sort of bait should I be bringing? I have some plastics like Gulp Alive and big hammer. Should I bring frozen squid or shrimp?
Thanks again for the invite.
Old 10-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #8
Amish Ed

Nice ride you have and getting it from Andy is a great choice too. As far as setups and baits? Light line, like 6-12lb. There will be no water movement, so the bite will most likely be tough. I'll be fishing 3/8 lead heads and 4-5" slender profile baits. A 3" could be good too. Colors? Baitfish patterns in medium to light/clear colors. Reds, browns, and oranges. And white and/or chartreuse.

For the head and bait styles. I use Warbaits Slayer heads, Coolbaits Down Under Spin, and Caivo underspins. Bait styles are varied: creature baits, swimbaits, grubs, flukes, and even a couple worms.

Scent can make a big difference too. I use Hot Sauce, Uni Butter is good, as well as the Pro-cure scents.

That's what i use. Whatever you have that seems to fit, bring it.

I don't use live or dead bait for bass, but both shrimp and squid work. I'd probably give the nod to shrimp.
Old 10-04-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
AlwaysFishing

Quote:
Nice ride you have and getting it from Andy is a great choice too. As far as setups and baits? Light line, like 6-12lb. There will be no water movement, so the bite will most likely be tough. I'll be fishing 3/8 lead heads and 4-5" slender profile baits. A 3" could be good too. Colors? Baitfish patterns in medium to light/clear colors. Reds, browns, and oranges. And white and/or chartreuse.

For the head and bait styles. I use Warbaits Slayer heads, Coolbaits Down Under Spin, and Caivo underspins. Bait styles are varied: creature baits, swimbaits, grubs, flukes, and even a couple worms.

Scent can make a big difference too. I use Hot Sauce, Uni Butter is good, as well as the Pro-cure scents.

That's what i use. Whatever you have that seems to fit, bring it.

I don't use live or dead bait for bass, but both shrimp and squid work. I'd probably give the nod to shrimp.

Yes Andy was very helpful getting everything I need and setting it up. He was very patient with all my newbie questions.

Thank you so much for all the info. I will bring most of what I have current.
See you tomorrow.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #10
Iceman
Administrator

Oh cool, did not know you were talking about Ed.................you guys should slay em! Looking forward to the report! and thanks!
Old 10-04-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
Iceman
Administrator

Where is Lower Castways Park?
Old 10-04-2019, 10:41 AM   #12
Amish Ed

Dover and PCH, next to the bridge. Opposite side of the channel from Southwind.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:58 AM   #13
slammah
Junior

POST-SESH UPDATE!

Got to Castaways Park at around ~5:30 and launched right as the sun came up. Slowly peddling my hobie through the still glassy water while eating a fat breakfast burrito was definitely one of the highlights of my week. Ed mentioned how the lack of tidal movement and wind was going to make the fishing tough and we grinded for a few hours with just a couple bites. I hooked up on a spottie at around 8:30 (my first fish on the kayak!) using a 5" keitech with some freshwater shad scent I usually spray on for lmb’s. Sluggish fish so Ed told me to go low and slow and sure enough, I got bit slow popping over the eel grass. So cool. Fishing was slow so we headed back at around 10. Thanks guys for a good time and I'll be going out again same time next week.
slammah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
SoCalEDC

nice, glad to hear you guys had a good time and got a couple of fish.
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:15 PM   #15
Amish Ed

My son got 2, I got skunked. But, it was a good time. This Sat at 530 works for me, hopefully the fish want to play.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 PM   #16
AlwaysFishing

I skunked too but it was nice to have met Ed and his son as well as Kevin.
I did get a feel of the Topwater 120 PDL and love it!
Checked the tide report and it was reported to be smooth so I took the kayak out the next day and launched it off of the beach by Grissom oil island. Boy was that a mistake! The beach is so far from the parking lot I almost die of exhaustion dragging the kayak to the beach and then back to the parking lot after. I did have the C-Tug cart but it was still heavy. Love the few hours in the water though. I only managed a couple of small bass but it was nice to be out there.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:21 PM   #17
Amish Ed

Are you coming Sat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysFishing View Post
I skunked too but it was nice to have met Ed and his son as well as Kevin.
I did get a feel of the Topwater 120 PDL and love it!
Checked the tide report and it was reported to be smooth so I took the kayak out the next day and launched it off of the beach by Grissom oil island. Boy was that a mistake! The beach is so far from the parking lot I almost die of exhaustion dragging the kayak to the beach and then back to the parking lot after. I did have the C-Tug cart but it was still heavy. Love the few hours in the water though. I only managed a couple of small bass but it was nice to be out there.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:45 AM   #18
AlwaysFishing

Quote:
Are you coming Sat?
Ed I might not be able to go out this weekend. Got the Long Beach Marathon this Sunday. Maybe next weekend.