Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
ctfphoto

Quick Question WSB Icing or Fielting

Would like to know ASAP
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
Siebler

...Know what?

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #3
bellcon

I would ice that beast for at least 24 hours before sticking the knife in her.

If that's the question?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

I bleed, then ice it. I gut then fillet at home.then freeze it

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
ctfphoto

What is best, is there a preference?

I have been told both and need to know like now ...
Old 08-28-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellcon View Post
I would ice that beast for at least 24 hours before sticking the knife in her.

If that's the question?
Yes, this is the question. I did gut him and he if fully iced now.

I may cut off a small chunk for dinner tho ...

But your saying to wait 24 hrs for the bulk of the fish, correct?
Old 08-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Ideally 24 hours yes.... try not to get any frresh water on your fillets....
fresh water bad!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
fresh water bad!
Thank you very much,

So I should NOT cut off a small chunk for tonight because I do not want to expose the remainder to the ice /turning to water.

Should I salt the gut cavity as it did gut it or no need as that really isn't exposed meat.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dos ballenas View Post
fresh water bad!

i always use freshwater with lemon juice then straight to the BBQ if i am going to eat it on the spot. I also use freshwater to rinse off all the scales when i am cleaning it. Am i doing it the wrong way?

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 08-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

We bleed them right away while they're still kicking, and bring a large cooler with eight 2-litre frozen water bottles (the large soda types). Then the fish goes right into the cooler when we hit the beach, and when we get home we gut 'em ASAP, then throw a couple more 2-litre frozen in, along with a large bad of crushed ice. We wait a day, then filet it, keeping the filets cool in another smaller cooler with a couple more frozen bottles. When we're done fileting, we vacuum pack ASAP, except what we're eating that night. If done this way, your vacuum sealed fish will last up to 2 years or more, just about as fresh as the day you caught them. We do this with all of our fish, yellowtail, halibut, tuna, etc.
We have a huge chest freezer at home, full of clams, lobsters, and the different fish species, plus a bag of crushed ice ready to use, and at least 12 frozen 2-litre bottles in it, at any given time. The crushed ice comes in handy because it comes in direct contact with the length of the fish, while the bottles keep it very chilled. Waiting a day to filet firms up the meat, making it so much easier to filet.
You'll save mucho dollars using the frozen bottle idea. One note, when filling the bottles leave about 2" of air at the top, then squeeze out the air and put the cap on. Ice expands when freezing, and you don't need the bottles bursting in your freezer.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #11
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post
We bleed them right away while they're still kicking, and bring a large cooler with eight 2-litre frozen water bottles (the large soda types). Then the fish goes right into the cooler when we hit the beach, and when we get home we gut 'em ASAP, then throw a couple more 2-litre frozen in, along with a large bad of crushed ice. We wait a day, then filet it, keeping the filets cool in another smaller cooler with a couple more frozen bottles. When we're done fileting, we vacuum pack ASAP, except what we're eating that night. If done this way, your vacuum sealed fish will last up to 2 years or more, just about as fresh as the day you caught them. We do this with all of our fish, yellowtail, halibut, tuna, etc.
We have a huge chest freezer at home, full of clams, lobsters, and the different fish species, plus a bag of crushed ice ready to use, and at least 12 frozen 2-litre bottles in it, at any given time. The crushed ice comes in handy because it comes in direct contact with the length of the fish, while the bottles keep it very chilled. Waiting a day to filet firms up the meat, making it so much easier to filet.
You'll save mucho dollars using the frozen bottle idea. One note, when filling the bottles leave about 2" of air at the top, then squeeze out the air and put the cap on. Ice expands when freezing, and you don't need the bottles bursting in your freezer.
X2

BS without photos of so claimed fish,on a scale next to a tape, with GPS#'s, time caught, depth, Bait, hook,line, rod and reel combo,gaff, game clip, and kayak.

Congrats.

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
ctfphoto

A&J, thank you very much, I really appreciate the info.

This is my first WSB and PB on a kayak which I have been doing for about one year now.

I will post photos on another thread.

I checked out the other wsb thread and my fish is a lot smaller at 37" but it is my first so I am psyched.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #13
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
A&J, thank you very much, I really appreciate the info.

This is my first WSB and PB on a kayak which I have been doing for about one year now.

I will post photos on another thread.

I checked out the other wsb thread and my fish is a lot smaller at 37" but it is my first so I am psyched.
I was the one who told you to ice it while we were on the water.

What's the matter you don't trust me?
Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I trust you because your Next door to the guy who lives next door to my ex! and you are going to catch the Loch Ness monster before the summer is over!

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #15
wiredantz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron&Julie View Post

wth... my fish never last that long....

This is how it goes...

Babe, I CAUGHT A BIG ONE. i caught a huge one !!!

Bring it home in ice and a cooler...

take off scales, gut it... dunk in water with lemon to BBQ grill
BAm.. people show up... even the ones you dont know and your left with just a ziplock bag at the end.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I was the one who told you to ice it while we were on the water.

Yes, and I thank you for that. Sorry dude, (I actually did trust you) I just like confirmation on important things.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #17
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Yes, and I thank you for that. Sorry dude, (I actually did trust you) I just like confirmation on important things.
Congrats on your PB, I would have asked alot of questions too, don't wanna
mess that fish up...enjoy
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #18
Drake

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus kid View Post
I trust you because your Next door to the guy who lives next door to my ex! and you are going to catch the Loch Ness monster before the summer is over!
Old 08-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #19
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
i always use freshwater with lemon juice then straight to the BBQ if i am going to eat it on the spot. I also use freshwater to rinse off all the scales when i am cleaning it. Am i doing it the wrong way?
if you're gonna eat it right away then that is fine.

washing off the slime and stuff (before making any cuts into the fish) is a good idea... I do this too.

But if you're gonna freeze it or leave it in the fridge for a while make sure you don't hit the fillets with ANY fresh water... it will make it last a lot longer in the fridge, and taste better frozen....

I rinse the fish to get all the slime off. Fillet the fish. Skin the fish. Then take paper towels and dry before vac seal

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #20
jorluivil

Awesome fish report!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote