Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2023, 09:15 AM   #1
PapaDave

Dana Point 07-09-2023

Had a couple of anglers out at DP yesterday, There was a fresh load of anchovies just loading at the bait receiver. Got a tank full and headed out.

Water was nicer then the forecast indicated, pretty flat until about 1pm, clean too. Lots of bass, mostly small but a couple of decent sized ones, released. Got a few halibut, one keeper and most being about an inch short. Also caught a WSB approximately 22", tried stretching it out but that didn't work. JK, released unharmed, good fight though.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:58 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Good to hear you made it out.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2023, 04:30 PM   #3
daperrin
www.TheKayakLaunch

Thanks for the report. Will probably head back out in a couple of weeks. Do you have any preference between Sardines and Anchovies? They had both last week so I went with Sardines. Seemed to work good with lots of bites.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@thekayaklaunch
https://www.instagram.com/thekayaklaunch
daperrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 05:50 AM   #4
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daperrin View Post
Thanks for the report. Will probably head back out in a couple of weeks. Do you have any preference between Sardines and Anchovies? They had both last week so I went with Sardines. Seemed to work good with lots of bites.
It depends, the anchovies have done very well lately. It's kind of rare that they are offered at the receiver so I will usually get those when they have them. However, I do check to see they are in good shape.

The sardines tend to be a tad large most of the time making it a challenge to get a solid hook set (lots of tail biters), but they do last longer on a hook.
Old 07-12-2023, 06:02 AM   #5
PapaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMckroidJr View Post
Good to hear you made it out.
Actually, I've been getting out quite a bit lately, between one and four times a week. I'm usually out with a friend and his wife (who we introduced to fishing, caught her first legal halibut and is now hooked). He was in the spotty tournament down there.

As a result, I've been spending some quality time fishing in San Diego bay these days. It's been a heck of a season so far, lots of halibut and bass there as well as in DP. I took a couple out of O'Side but the reefs were a little slow, managed some small bass but not much else.

I retired two years ago and have finally regained the fever...