Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
CheapPelican

Question How do you secure your hoop nets?

I will be surf launching (and landing ) with a full stack of conicals. I've only hooped out of bays and never had to secure my nets.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
easyday

I have a pvc frame I made and it zip ties to the yak
Old 09-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
CheapPelican

Yeah, got a rack to keep the hoops from sliding off, but what keeps them in place if you go belly up?
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #4
tacmik

Try bungee cords or else just pull them back up. They have floats on the end of the rope. Would be hard to right the yak with all the nets tied on.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
easyday

Yea I would imagine it would be pretty difficult to right the kayak with 5 nets on top of it. Id probably just finish my landing then go swimming for my nets.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
danjor

I'm considering building a rack today and than just using bungee cords to keep them on.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
boxturtle

if you tie them down to the yak...if the yak flips you will never be able to right it up again.
boxturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
Dannowar

I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo easy
Old 09-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #9
easyday

[QUOTE=Dannowar;170769]I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo

Now why didn't I think of that oh yea I dont have a hobie
Old 09-24-2013, 04:28 PM   #10
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
[QUOTE=easyday;170790]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo

Now why didn't I think of that oh yea I dont have a hobie
Maybe you need to get one, think? Would make the Catalina trip easier if you got the right one. Faster and safer too!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #11
MrM

Chris, I can't remember if we hooped together last season or not, but I stack mine on top of a crate with half inch PVC sticking up like stakes in the ground. It's kind of a pain, but the bugs fit nicely in the crate under the hoops.

I think I might rig something up like this if I find some time here soon.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Crazy Cajun
Junior

I use my game clip to secure my nets to the kayak. Stack your nets on the yak, run the arm of your clip on the inside of the larger rings while the nets are stacked, and close and secure the clip to the yak. I also place my nets on a PVC rack to keep them from sliding on and off the yak.
Crazy Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #13
tacmik

Game clip, bungees tie downs, pvc pipe. Man, all these years I've just been stacking them on the front third of my yak and paddling out. Never lost one yet. Guess I must be doing it wrong.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #14
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacmik View Post
Game clip, bungees tie downs, pvc pipe. Man, all these years I've just been stacking them on the front third of my yak and paddling out. Never lost one yet. Guess I must be doing it wrong.

Thats what I was planning. Now im a bit scared

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
Deamon

I must be the only spinner dolphin on a yak ...I would NEVER strapped it all down in the ocean or in the bay. Entering and exiting the water maybe but in deep water???

Don't need to plan worse case scenario but don't ever think flipping couldn't happen either. 40-50#'s strapped in on one end. You gotta flip it back over then climb back in? I'm just not picturing it. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Divad

Chris, run a strap just around your PVC rack. That way it would stay together and would pop off the kayak if you took a roll. Just leave one of your floats lose to allow it to float up so you can find it. And put your lobsters in some sort of bag. And tie them down. Good luck!:
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
DocHaole

I run a "main line" of rope along the side of the boat on which I clip everything: hoops, dry bag, lobster cooler ect. Every bag has a carabiner and short line attached. I keep the hoops on the back with a small bungee to keep them from sliding around. I've spent too much on this gear not to tie it down, however I have never capsized so I cant speak to how hard it is to recover it all.
DocHaole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
CheapPelican

Wasn't worried about loosing them while underway, just on the landing . I guess they shouldn't be too hard to recover if I did have a yard sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danjor View Post
I'm considering building a rack today and than just using bungee cords to keep them on.
Yeah, you do need something for the launch. They do sit perfectly on your bow although paddling in to the smell of salmon heads probably gets old after a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrM View Post
Chris, I can't remember if we hooped together last season or not, but I stack mine on top of a crate with half inch PVC sticking up like stakes in the ground. It's kind of a pain, but the bugs fit nicely in the crate under the hoops.

I think I might rig something up like this if I find some time here soon.
No we never got a chance. Heres my roach motel I never got to show you

Only needs to catch the first two hoops through the netting. Good enough for bay landings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
I stack em on my hobie tank and secure them by putting two PVC pipes through the mesh into the rod holders. Sooooo easy
Stacked them on the Hobie livewell before but got irritated when the nets would get snagged on the rod holders. Maybe I'll tie a towel around the flange to prevent this. More secure than the roach motel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divad View Post
Chris, run a strap just around your PVC rack. That way it would stay together and would pop off the kayak if you took a roll. Just leave one of your floats lose to allow it to float up so you can find it. And put your lobsters in some sort of bag. And tie them down. Good luck!:
Thanks. This time I'm keeping all my tako!
Old 09-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #19
Divad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapPelican View Post
Wasn't worried about loosing them while underway, just on the landing . I guess they shouldn't be too hard to recover if I did have a yard sale.

Yeah, you do need something for the launch. They do sit perfectly on your bow although paddling in to the smell of salmon heads probably gets old after a while

No we never got a chance. Heres my roach motel I never got to show you

Only needs to catch the first two hoops through the netting. Good enough for bay landings.

Stacked them on the Hobie livewell before but got irritated when the nets would get snagged on the rod holders. Maybe I'll tie a towel around the flange to prevent this. More secure than the roach motel.

Thanks. This time I'm keeping all my tako!
Now! Who was that last line meant for?

I hope you got your limit!
Divad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
CheapPelican

Gonna try to make it happen sunday night
Let me know if you need help digging out the PA.