Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #1
Mobyfish

Looking for Guides

Please hit me up if you're a guide. Looking for yak fishing guides.
-Mobyfish
Old 01-27-2015, 02:45 PM   #2
jorluivil

Be your own guide, its far more rewarding

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
Old 01-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #3
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
To each there own. For me it made sense and didn't feel any less rewarding. But that is just me
Old 01-27-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
If your second post ever is trolling for a guide, there isn't much hope for the DIY approach.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #5
chris138
donkey roper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Vega View Post
To each there own. For me it made sense and didn't feel any less rewarding. But that is just me
It didn't feel less rewarding because you had instant success, unlike many who fish mired in frustration for months or years before figuring out how to target large game fish.

As you said, to each their own. I know for a fact it's money well spent if you don't have hundreds of hours to burn chasing birds and phantom sonar marks. Call the Darkhorse, Moby!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
Mobyfish

guides

Hey Guys, thanks for the participation on this thread.

I'm actually looking for several guides. I have a ton of people that want to go fishing and I want to send them the right way. Should have been more clear.

That said, I could personally use some tuning up on my skills. If anyone wants to go out as a guide for a day let me know. Be glad to give you my business.

-Mobyfish
Old 01-27-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

I'll take you out and we can catch a ton of nothing. If that doesn't suit your needs, call josh aka the dark horse.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:42 PM   #8
food4less562

If you're in the Long Beach/San Pedro area and want to target bass and halibut, you can shadow me in exchange for a few margaritas
Old 01-27-2015, 08:18 PM   #9
octico

Trust me I have struggled with this many times. If you are local fisherman then your time on the water and read the forums. If you don't catch a YT in 10 years then you are not doing enough reading or you have not spent enough time on the water. FYI, I still have NOT caught YT on a yak .... trust me I will!!!!

If you have put in your time on the yak (for whatever reason) and you ready to throw in the towel or your are from out of town then call Dark Horse. If I was to go to the east coast fishing for Tarpon off a kayak ... you are damn straight I would look for a guide,.

Those "local" guys who paid a get a guide, I don't knock you, to each their own ... I am one of those few guys that are a glutton for punishment ...work, work, work and then work again. I caught my first legal Hali with no guide (took 8 months ) ... and boy did it feel damn good.

---rant over fish on all

Last edited by octico; 01-27-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #10
Cadillyak
Team Get $$

When I went with the dark horse, first thing I said was that I want to learn and shorten the learning curve. Catching a fish was extra. Although I didn't land a yellow, I learned to how to do everything ftom surf launch, to make baut, to areas to fish, to fighting fish, blah blah blah. Get a guide to learn so u can repeat the correct steps without a guide.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:25 PM   #11
Mobyfish

kudos

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Trust me I have struggled with this many times. If you are local fisherman then your time on the water and read the forums. If you don't catch a YT in 10 years then you are not doing enough reading or you have not spent enough time on the water. FYI, I still have NOT caught YT on a yak .... trust me I will!!!!

If you have put in your time on the yak (for whatever reason) and you ready to throw in the towel or your are from out of town then call Dark Horse. If I was to go to the east coast fishing for Tarpon off a kayak ... you are damn straight I would look for a guide,.

Those "local" guys who paid a get a guide, I don't knock you, to each their own ... I am one of those few guys that are a glutton for punishment ...work, work, work and then work again. I caught my first legal Hali with no guide (took 8 months ) ... and boy did it feel damn good.

---rant over fish on all

Kudos to OC Tico. You are die hard, my friend
Old 01-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
Mobyfish

I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
When I went with the dark horse, first thing I said was that I want to learn and shorten the learning curve. Catching a fish was extra. Although I didn't land a yellow, I learned to how to do everything ftom surf launch, to make baut, to areas to fish, to fighting fish, blah blah blah. Get a guide to learn so u can repeat the correct steps without a guide.
I agree completely with you Cadillyak. I'd be stoked to go out with Darkhorse. Also wish there were more guides like him. I need a lot of guides--not for me. I'm referring people to guides and have too many customers and not enough guides.

-Mobyfish
Old 01-27-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
Mobyfish

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by food4less562 View Post
If you're in the Long Beach/San Pedro area and want to target bass and halibut, you can shadow me in exchange for a few margaritas
Thanks! I'll PM you in a minute.

-Mobyfish
Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #14
Dannowar

there will probably be a groupon deal coming up soon, keep your eyes open

Last edited by Dannowar; 01-28-2015 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:16 AM   #15
Chuck D

X2, X3, X4

Quote:
Old 01-28-2015, 06:16 AM   #16
Saba Slayer

PM Sent

PM Sent...

Old 01-28-2015, 08:36 AM   #17
RookieYakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
I'll take you out and we can catch a ton of nothing.
Ha! Unfortunately X2
Old 01-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #18
The pelican

The old "on your own vs. hire a guide" dabate. If you're referring clients for a day on the water kayak fishing, case closed. Hire a good guide - THEDARKHORSE.

For the rest of us it's a personal choice. I kayak fished for 4 years on my own and learned very little, very slowly without much of any help whatsoever (wasn't even aware of BWE and never talked to other kayak anglers because I launched and fished from birdrock area and didnt even know there was a launch in LJ.)

I lucked out a few times and admit it did feel much more rewarding when I would land the very occasional gamefsh on my own. You know what they say - even a broken clock is right twice a day. But I also made some mistakes (panicking when I caught my first BSB and not knowing how to get him quickly safely released, which was a close call but worked out)

Fellow BWE guys helped when I discovered LJ and hooked up but didn't come prepared with a gaff or game clip. The guys at El Pescador accepted a case of beer in exchange for yellowtail fillet help. All that was great and I'm glad it was part of my expirience.

Eventually I decided it's best to learn from the best. I paid to hire Josh and it was an unreal value for me, relative to the price he charges (time saved, number of fish caught, knowledge gained, money saved buying the right gear).

I'm convinced that it's more rewarding to struggle and then finally get what you're after in just about anything you do in life. If you're looking for a rewarding expirience, do it on your own for a while.

If you're looking to learn a ton of priceless fishing info, save time, save money, catch fish consistently, and shut up and follow instructions, Josh is the guy.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #19
Mobyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
there will probably be a groupon deal coming up soon, keep your eyes open
Thanks. Good call. I'll look out for that.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
Mobyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
PM Sent...
Thanks! Just sent reply.
Closed Thread