Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 03-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
EastLosYaker

Port of Sacramento 2/28

Had to go up to our State's Capital for a conference, so I decided to head up a few days early and get some fishing in on the Port of Sacramento. It seemed slow all around, but I was able to manage two LMB and one small striper. Most folks I talked to came in skunked. Hit the water before 7 and trolled around until about 10 for nothing. Decided to head down river a bit and work the edges. That's where I caught all three fish, all on the same wild eye swim bait.

Did quite a bit of recon on Northern California Kayak Angler forum and found some great info and some good folks on there helped me out with a few questions I had. From talking to folks at the launch and on the water, it seems that some big fish come out of this area, especially when the shad run in the spring. Still pretty cold up there though (for socal standards). I would recommend fishing this area if you ever find yourself in Sacramento with a Kayak. Easy launch access, close to downtown Sac, decent to amazing fishing.
Attached Images

EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:43 PM   #2
f'nsabiki

great pics!!
f'nsabiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 09:26 PM   #3
JeffB

Cool, I like the way it looks.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:47 PM   #4
Amish Ed

Thanks for the report and I too like the pics.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #5
rogersmith

fished there a few times with a buddy who lives in the area. Got into every cast action on school stripers one night down along some pilings on the right side of the channel. Interesting area, some big bass and salmon come out of there. Jigging for salmon near the locks can be nasty though with all the rubbish in the water.
rogersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 10:46 PM   #6
Hotguy003
Junior

did u launch in the other side of the dam in Jefferson ? If so make sure u head back be4 sun set ... This area is not safe ..
Hotguy003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:34 AM   #7
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotguy003 View Post
did u launch in the other side of the dam in Jefferson ? If so make sure u head back be4 sun set ... This area is not safe ..
Why? Is that where all of the state politicians live.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:25 AM   #8
janines.fishtales@cox.net

LOL!

Way to make the best of a business trip! I like that.

J
Old 03-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #9
Hotguy003
Junior

Couple years ago I used to fish there at night a lot ...but ppl start going there smoke and drink and trash everywhere, also there was one time I saw someone shoot the seal, that's reason they lock the gate to prevent ppl enter the shoreline along the river. If u park ur car at night time there make sure there is nothing value inside ... Sac is where all politican live but city is not good as what ppl think ...
Hotguy003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
This one has been on my "bucket list". I've done the spring shad run in the past on the American, Yuba and Feather rivers but due to my back injury and the drought I haven't been in a while! However, Fly Fishing the spring Shad Run from a Kayak is something I've been dying to try!
I have a couple friends up in/near Stockton/Sacramento I was planning on visiting after scheduling an epidural procedure.
Of course because of the proximity of "the Delta" I thought I'd also try my hand @ LMB and Mr. Linesider while I'm up there.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote