Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #1
momo fish

Rockfish Opener 2015.... Anyone claiming first..

Well after all the storms and wind doom and gloom last week things calmed down and made the trip out local.. Got on the water by 7 to an easy launch. Wind was picking up but nothing more than 6-8 with predictions up to 12 by noon..

Made it to the spot just in time for whitecaps and winds to pick up only to turn around to seek shelter closer to shore. Bait was nada.. Current was ripping so ended up calling it a day around 1 after nothing was showing up interested in playing. But it did NOT rain while on the water.. Weird once I got home a hail storm broke which I have not been in since moving to CA..

Was hoping to post some rockfish pictures today but that was not to be. Instead pictures of the day and hail storm..

Anyone get any today?

momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
ful-rac
Emperor

Be careful momo with the pictures of your house...there is a price on your head....

Sounds like you made the right call on turning around today...
Old 03-01-2015, 08:00 PM   #3
Oxbeast1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Be careful momo with the pictures of your house...there is a price on your head....

Sounds like you made the right call on turning around today...
Lmao thats what I was thinking!
Oxbeast1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #4
cell128
lizard king

I got a few hours to burn tomorrow but gonna be later in the morning I'm down for Newport if anyone interested
cell128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:24 PM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

launched at Redondo about 7, right on the edge of a bit of rain, winds were light offshore. Don't have any spots there just metered around the canyon edges in 140-220 feet We just yoyoed megabats for a few big mackerel, sand dabs, sand bass, lizard fish and 2 rockfish, off the water at 10 and off to work.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #6
momo fish

Rockfish Opener 2015.... Anyone claiming first..

Good going Andy, did better than most up here. Guys fishing different areas all reported same thing today so it was just one of those days.

Don't worry I already have my fort build in case I am attacked!!
It's solid build and secured with this special lock I made myself that's fool proof..

My weapon of choice

And worst case have this backup loaded with rocks..

Need Frank's help to upgrade down the road however. 😊
Old 03-02-2015, 04:37 AM   #7
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
It's solid build and secured with this special lock I made myself that's fool proof..
😊

That lock/strapping set-up is SWEET. Looks like a "solid build" for sure. Would you consider making a few for me, can't find this anywhere...Jim
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 AM   #8
TJones

You told me ,

You had a stringer full of reds and lings ? Maybe I misunderstood ? . Just kidding .thanks for report .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #9
blitzburgh

Second! I hit Newport yesterday. Had to work hard for my limit but it never got too sketchy.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:32 PM   #10
Dannowar

This momo fish is way funnier than the old momo fish.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:05 PM   #11
JeffB

I hit LJ and was welcomed with 25mph winds with 30/35mph gusts. Fished a total of 15min. I wound up peddling for a solid 3.5hrs nonstop towing one guy into the kelp from a 1.5mile out then back out to grab another guy hanging on for dear life in a half filled kayak w/ water. Pumped it out, got him in and peddled him back him in tow. Took 3hrs. My legs were toast by the time we got back in.

Forecast was calling for 10mph winds with 14mph gusts with rain all day the night prior. They got the rain right but was far off on the wind. It didn't help that the wind was blowing due west
Old 03-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #12
Lipripper92592

Your a hero Jeff!!!!! I'm sure those guys where having a tough time. What time did the wind pick up....around 11:00 or so?
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
YTHunter
Carlisle

Nice job Jeff!
Old 03-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
momo fish

You deserve a medal Jeff!! Great example of brotherhood on the water 👍

Any idea why they ventured so far out even with winds picking up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
I hit LJ and was welcomed with 25mph winds with 30/35mph gusts. Fished a total of 15min. I wound up peddling for a solid 3.5hrs nonstop towing one guy into the kelp from a 1.5mile out then back out to grab another guy hanging on for dear life in a half filled kayak w/ water. Pumped it out, got him in and peddled him back him in tow. Took 3hrs. My legs were toast by the time we got back in.

Forecast was calling for 10mph winds with 14mph gusts with rain all day the night prior. They got the rain right but was far off on the wind. It didn't help that the wind was blowing due west
Old 03-02-2015, 02:27 PM   #15
JeffB

They were with me, wind literally didn't hit until we got to the spot. Felt bad for the one bc he had been in the water for like 15min before I made it back to him
Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #16
da22y

I saw Jeff's kayak on truck and ready to head home when I reached LJ shore after a longest peddle I ever made in LJ.

I have a Hobie Revolution 13 with turbo fins, and I log between 0.8 mile to 1.8 mile per hours against the wind and wind chops comes back in from my fishing hole .

Wind start blowing hard around 9am ,it is a washing machine..
I did not come home empty hand either :
9 rockfishs ,3 scorpions , and one legal lingcod.

My legs almost on strike when I reach shore, and to see the sandy access has become a little cliff ! No truck can drive thru !

This is a exercise day more than a fishing day.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote