Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-16-2016, 06:16 AM   #1
Phishphood

7/15 lj

No yt for me although it seems like plenty on board for others. It just wasn't my day. Forgot the breakfast at home, Got stuck in the sand one car length in and had to dig out and sliced my hand open on some random piece of jagged plastic on my car. Got out on the water and bait want too hard to make even without electronics but man, I really need to plumb my bait tank. Used to be able to keep almost 6 alive for half a day but with the warm water barely kept one for a few hours with constant bailing.

Kept at it on two reverse dropper loops on about 70-80' until the breeze started up and my 5oz wouldn't stay all the way down. At that point I gave up and started trolling two rapalas around hoping for a bonito. Didn't score there either but while making my rounds did scratch up a short cuda, little 14" rat yellow that I almost boated, and a whole mess of calico's. Ended up keeping 3 nice medium sized ones for lunch and friends and let about 10 go including a few huge hens.

All in all a decent day in the water that I really needed. Anybody have any tips on targeting bonito?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Sheephead

Bonito still seem to be in tiny wolf packs but I've marked them consistently at 40' in 100-110' depth. Try buttery fly/ vertical jigs they keep slamming my lures. The big ones are in so don't go for a skimpy lil lure.
Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #3
YakDout
Brandon

The bonito will take the smaller size macs flylined. Smaller rapalas will work (xrap 15) surface irons, waxwings, spoons like Krocs, swimbaits. Bonito, if around will hit just about anything.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Phishphood

Thanks guys. I'll keep at it

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Phishphood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Dirty Curti

Twice today I hot triple Bonito on my sabiki. Those guys really make a mess of a sabiki. I had to cut it off the second time.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote