Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2016, 11:34 PM   #1
Casey

Dana point headlands calico wfo

First day fishing in 2016 for me. Its nice to be back. I took the 12pm 1/2 day out of Dana Pride yesterday. For 23$ on the 1/2 price Tuesday deal I figured it was cheaper then buying a 1/2 scoop of bait, and I could see whats around. As we pulled up to the bait barge I couldn't wait so I dropped an anchovy quickly and picked up a big yellowfin Croaker. This got the kids excited and the tourists wondered why I threw it back. Anyway we fished well within paddling range Right in front of the Ritz Carlton and Strands. The Calico Bite was wide open. Most were around 12" mixed with enough legals to limit on. I was a close runner up for the jackpot with a Decent Calico (but not worth a photo.) The guy who did win was absolutely killing it on a Bone colored Shimano Wax Wing lure. I kept two fish, and had delicious tacos that night. Couple of football size yellow tail came screaming by. No one hooked em and they didn't stick around long. Oh yeah and there was a 10 foot great white shark there too if you haven't heard the news. Saw the chopper was there acting all funny and just as we thought "I wonder if they see a shark?" We heard the calls coming in over the boats VHF. Might fish on the yak around the harbor or Doheny tomorrow.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 AM   #2
PapaDave

There are a couple of Taxmen that cruise through DP, mostly just curious but will steal your fish if you have them hanging off the side. I named a 6-7 footer Bob, I've seen him out there several times, hooked him up five times (by accident of course ) and have had him steal a nice calico off the game clip hanging off my kayak.

Hey, that sounds like another 'I almost died" post....
Old 07-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I was out at the headlands last weekend and two cattle boats were parked there as well. I don't really like seeing them in so close and depleting the yak-able local spots when they can easily hit SanO or somewhere else, but I can't argue with saving gas. Salt Creek was just shut down for a day or so due to a GW sighting. I have yet to spot one, and hope it stays that way. Will be out again this weekend trying not to spot one.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
Mr Fishback

Thanks for the report, and the heads up on the GW.
Mr Fishback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 AM   #5
dpricenator

I'm heading over to the Strands Salt Creek kelp beds this next weekend. Funny thing about that Shark Sighting right there. My kid has been doing the Jr Life Guards Program at Sal Creek for the past 2 weeks and is starting her 3rd and final week today. She said they only swam with in the break, but they did not miss a day in the water. Those sharks have always been there. Just because we don't see them does not mean they haven't seen us. I have surfed Salt Creek for 25 years, and have never seen one. I wonder how many have seen me. Some things are better left locked up i the back of my mind. Other wise I'll never get back in the water.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote