Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #1
cbeaudry
Junior

newbie rod and reel set up

Hey everyone, I'm looking for some advise as to what type of rod and reel to purchase to get started. Going to be getting a kayak in the next month or so. Also would like to see who is out there that would be willing to let me tag along some time to learn more about how to fish the ocean. My back ground in fishing is mainly fresh water. The only experience I have on the ocean is one trip in a kayak with a guide for thresher shark (no luck) and on a boat trip in Hawaii for Dorado.
cbeaudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:38 PM   #2
jorluivil

What are you planning on fishing for?

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
cbeaudry
Junior

I would like to fish for yellow tail.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:49 PM   #4
JeffB

Well if you're wanting to learn to fish the bays I can help you out there. As for YT, there are plenty others on here that can help you out.

Good all around bass setup for kelp or the bay would be a 10-25lb rod( brand is honestly optional) pair with a handful of options depending on what you want to spend. I prefer the new Shimano Calcutta D's in both 300-400, but the "B's" are great as well as the Curado 300E/ EJ. Also the a Diawa Luna 273 is a good reel as well as the Lexa 300. For smaller set ups, the exact same thing you would use in fresh water. The 10-25lb set ups will also handle halibut in the bay just fine as well.

I use a mix bag of 20lb/30lb/40lb set ups for YT/Halibut/WSB. I use anything from light tipped seeks 20(25)40 to 15-30lb Teramars. With anything from Salitist 20 level winds to Avet SX/ MX and Toriums 16/ 20.

Hope I helped out a little more than confuse you. I can help all day on bass, but big game I'm not the expert by no means...

Last edited by JeffB; 05-29-2014 at 03:01 PM.
JeffB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #5
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeaudry View Post
I would like to fish for yellow tail.

Starting out, I would not worry about what kind of gear you are going to use for yellowtail...but first to get comfortable paddling, and just being on a kayak.

There was a guy on here not too long ago...with the same gung-ho attitude...he bought a kayak at Walmart, we urged him to just try it out, and learn how to paddle first before he takes it out into open water....Long story short he returned the kayak the next day.

I'll tell you the same thing I told him....Slow down. Get your kayak Learn to paddle around first. Then worry about what your going to catch that yellowtail on.
Old 05-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
cbeaudry
Junior

Thanks, that would be great to. I just want to get out there and start to fish. Do you have to have a whole army of rods and reels to fish different types? Or can you just have a couple and be able to cover most species?
Old 05-29-2014, 03:00 PM   #7
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Thanks, that would be great to. I just want to get out there and start to fish. Do you have to have a whole army of rods and reels to fish different types? Or can you just have a couple and be able to cover most species?

All it takes is one rod, one reel, one line, one hook and one bait.

I just haven't found the right combo of the above yet
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
cbeaudry
Junior

Great advise, you wont see me out there until I know what i'm doing as far as safety and all that. Thats why I am looking for help from you guys on how to approach this. I have been on kayaks for fun many times in the harbor but just the basic ones for paddling around.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #9
JeffB

I would recommend getting comfy in the bay first then try heading out of the jetty into open water to get a feel. Once you feel comfortable and stable on your new platform, attempt some dry runs with surf launch without your gear.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #10
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Quote:
1 setup to catch bait, 1 setup to flyline live bait. These are your 2 most basic needs.

When I go out I take:
Bait setup (usually a heavy baitcaster bass rod that I can use for bass or rockfish after my tank is full of bait)
Flyline setup
Setup for dropperloop/yoyo jigging
Jigstick for casting irons.

I've seen guys with 6 or 7 rods at a time but I think this is a bit over kill. I try to limit my selection to what ever my target species is for the day so I don't loss focus and deviate from the game plan.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #11
cbeaudry
Junior

Thanks for all the info
Old 05-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #12
octico

Do you know what kind of kayak you are going to be getting?
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:42 PM   #13
cbeaudry
Junior

I am going to go with one of the hobie ones. I have tried the outback and pro angler and leaning to the pro angler
Old 05-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #14
octico

Quote:
I am going to go with one of the hobie ones. I have tried the outback and pro angler and leaning to the pro angler
Nice choice! Am sure you have, but have you figured out how to haul it?
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #15
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
That's quite the commitment! But if you enjoy this kayaking thing...the "hobie ones"...are a good choice.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #16
ceruleandrms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
Starting out, I would not worry about what kind of gear you are going to use for yellowtail...but first to get comfortable paddling, and just being on a kayak.

There was a guy on here not too long ago...with the same gung-ho attitude...he bought a kayak at Walmart, we urged him to just try it out, and learn how to paddle first before he takes it out into open water....Long story short he returned the kayak the next day.

I'll tell you the same thing I told him....Slow down. Get your kayak Learn to paddle around first. Then worry about what your going to catch that yellowtail on.
Learn wet exits. Practice in a pool or a lake or something. I learned the hard way going out by myself. Rolled right out and flipped my yak not being careful. Scared the crap out of me but luckily I did practice in my pool. Also make sure you leash your gear down. Just my 2 cents
ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:53 PM   #17
ctfphoto

If you will be fishing for yellowtail, make your life easier and start with the perfect line combo for La Jolla. 65 pound dark green braid with a 40 pound Fluorocarbon leader on a 40 reel. Many large fish end up in the kelp and with the above combination, sometimes you can get them out.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
cbeaudry
Junior

As far as hauling my new kayak I think I have it figured out. My wife wanted a new mini van so I told her if we get it I'm finally going to get a kayak. I can wait for the new car smell to go away and smell like fish....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2014, 09:48 AM   #19
Hunters Pa

Hook up with Fishaholic. He will get you set up with good gear at a very fair price.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:49 PM   #20
FISH11

Talking

Trying to load a PA on top of a Mini Van, now that' something to pull out the GO PRO.