Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-15-2020, 07:50 PM   #1
Hillbillymad

Thoughts on Malibu stealth 12 sit on top

Does anyone have any experience with this kayak would it be a good option not talking price
Hillbillymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Batmann

Depends on what year. The older boats were very leaky on the side hatches and we're dangerous IMHO for use inshore.

https://youtu.be/zVBnyYgIuNE

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
stevie951
Lurker

I actually own a Stealth 14 and I can second the leak issues. Advisory I bought it BLEM aftermarket in 2016 (Newport Fun Tours or rather..) but it was fine at first, BLEM was marked due to logo misprint on side; seemed to be least of actual issues.. Rigged her through Andy @ Sunset OEX and about a year after purchase was out at LJ.. Prime bite my buddy just hooked up on a homegaurd with a flat fall & told me to drop... I made it up to him but felt wobbly so opened my hatch and noticed my hull full to about 2 inches of water.. I shit myself... Thank god I was prepped from day one and always carried my hand pump.. Pumped for about 5 minutes.. maintained my composure and made the 4 mile paddle back in..

I had to bail at least 4-5x on the way back in same amount of water/time.. I still have her but even after plastic welds, all kinds of flex seal, she STILL takes on water so she is retired for long offshore excursions.. Crack seems to be due to stress located in the seat area on one of the scuppers, but there are in fact issues with water clearance on the deck leading to flooding in the hull

Thankfully I was blessed enough to win an x-13 (2018) donated by Malibu Yak's to the MB classic a few years back.. Still my main mode of transportation, less stable (the stealths are yachts) BUT no water leak issues whatsoever.. Seems either this line was better engineered or it was in fact an older model issue.. get tossed up in north county and still pull the plugs after landing to surprisingly no water..

If going with Malibu Kayaks IMO go with the X Models and avoid the Stealths

~Malibu Stealth-14
~Malibu X-13

Last edited by stevie951; 11-15-2020 at 10:36 PM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #4
Roscoe

I had the stealth 12 newer model. The one right before the seats changed.
Had that kayak for about two years. Only water issue I ever had came from breaking through waves on beach launches. And then only maybe a cup or two.
One beach landing I got swamped and had a gallon or inside the hull.
I never took it out more than a .25 mile offshore as the kayak was not a great paddle. Slow and wandered around.
Also with all the taking on water videos and warnings I read about. I tried to stay within a swims distance for shore.
Great kayak for hitting local kelp beds not so great for long distance.
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:13 PM   #5
Hillbillymad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
I had the stealth 12 newer model. The one right before the seats changed.
Had that kayak for about two years. Only water issue I ever had came from breaking through waves on beach launches. And then only maybe a cup or two.
One beach landing I got swamped and had a gallon or inside the hull.
I never took it out more than a .25 mile offshore as the kayak was not a great paddle. Slow and wandered around.
Also with all the taking on water videos and warnings I read about. I tried to stay within a swims distance for shore.
Great kayak for hitting local kelp beds not so great for long distance.
Yeah I’m looking at the 2018 model with the sit on top seat and bait tank
Hillbillymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #6
Batmann

My advice is to get a hose and test all of the hatches to include the side hatches for leaks before purchase.

Just like like guy does on the YouTube video

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 05:54 PM   #7
sly

Malibu Kayaks are great but do test out the hatches for leaks. I had one of the older stealth 12s with the bait tank and loved it. Never had any issues with leaks and I took it a couple miles out after getting thrashed during the launch. I do agree though, the kayak is pretty slow. I'm glad I upgraded to the PA.
sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #8
SoCalEDC

Its a little short for offshore IMO. If you are looking for something to use in our local coastal waters, 13' is probably as short as I would go for a paddle kayak. longer and narrow is going to be better for tracking straight, and for speed. ocean kayak, jackson, wilderness systems, all have offerings that meet these criteria.

Look around at the guys who prefer to paddle and nearly everyone of them is on a trident, a kraken, or a tarpon. There's a reason those are the yaks of choice for kayak fishing in the ocean, and its evident if you have paddled any other kayak.

IDK what your budget is, but there are usually deals on the used market to be had for kayaks that fit in that role anywhere from 5 or 600 on up.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote