Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 08-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #181
FISH11

Talking

SO, what do you think, Nick, should BWE make this thread a STICKY seeing it has over 10k views. JUST SAYING!
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #182
NICKWORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
SO, what do you think, Nick, should BWE make this thread a STICKY seeing it has over 10k views. JUST SAYING!
If I wak a fatty butt tomorrow I'm gonna press Brent. Hahaha JK

Hopefully some pics to share of the three of us with legals!! Continue to excitement!!
NICKWORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #183
FISH11

Talking

Nick, Fabian and me took our SOLO SKIFFs to San Diego Bay in search of some big fatty Halibut trolled the inside and then went around the jetty point to the Coronado bay area on the outside. We had multiple racked baits and caught many Spooties, Sand Bass and shorty Halibut. We just weren't able to find the big guys. I used a reverse dropper loop with three way swivel and a trailing treble hook. The funny thing is most of the bass I caught, were on that set up, the Hali I caught was on a fly lined Sardine. Had a great time till the big bay cruise ships, yachts and personal water craft turned the bay into a giant washing machine. So we called it a day somewhere around 2:30. Hoping the next trip produces the biggies.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:47 PM   #184
Polychrest
Junior

Who is going to be the first one to take one of these to Catalina?
Polychrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #185
NICKWORN

GoPro First Video

I wasnt able to get a ton of footage, gopro lagged on my waterproof case and hat strap, plus fishing was dead. Current was ripping mid morning, nothing like the Jewel Lake you see here, but i did come across a juvenile GW (so i think), he would sink out if i approached and wanted nothing to do with the large shiny rapala. He did scare the shit out of me by running up on my stern, I heard a swoosh and notice his fin and a huge swell 2-3 foot from me.

Wish i was able o get that NatGeo shot.

https://youtu.be/DVWwfNYnRD0
Old 08-17-2020, 02:39 PM   #186
tak100
Recruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polychrest View Post
Who is going to be the first one to take one of these to Catalina?
It would be a blast to head to Catalina with three or four Solo's, fish all day and camp at Two Harbors and then fish a bit before heading back at 10 AM or so to avoid the wind.

Probably a 2 hour ride from San Pedro.

Someone was planning a kayak trip like this but I never saw a post if they really got it done.
tak100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:26 AM   #187
molina0
Junior

I'd be interested...

Id be interested in a trip to Catalina... Do you think 3 gallons of fuel would be enough for the trip? I know my buddy Nelson would be in as well. Hey, might want to post on Facebook Solo Skiff as well... Mine was the Grey Solo Skiff in Nickworn's earlier photos.
molina0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:21 AM   #188
tak100
Recruit

3 gallons should be 60 miles or so. Catalina is 22ish miles from San Pedro.

Could always buy gas at the harbor. I am sure they have some for the bigger boats. Probably pay Disneyland prices but fishing in Catalina with a Solo, worth it!

Last edited by tak100; 09-08-2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 09-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #189
FISH11

After several trips to both bays and several out to La Jolla, I have to say this is a super fishing platform. It took a little getting used to , because I was not familiar with sitting up as high compared to my kayaks. The other factor is moving at a higher speed even when not full throttle the changes in direction happen so quick that, you have to learn to expect changes in lateral forces. I added a 9" Hobie H Rail to the starboard gunnel to help hold on. The rope from the bow was OK, but did not help in the side ways forces. Now I can hold onto the H Rail and stay stable over crossing waves, rollers or making turns. That and the time on the water has made it that I don't even need to look at boat wakes when drifting cause the Solo is so much more stable than any kayak i've used and even better so muck dryer of a ride. Love the speed of being able to cover water looking for bait or getting to bird action at a distance. Took my dog out to mission bay to get her used to the water and riding on the Solo Skiff. Once we got past the spray from the wind chop at speeds above 6 mph she started to relax and like even going out on the bow and didn't even get bothered when boat wakes came. Someday when she's more used to it and conditions make La Jolla like a lake as sometimes happens I'll even take her out there. Here's a video I put together from Wednesday. I also went out to La Jolla surf launched on Thursday and landed and released my first Yellowtail on the Solo Skiff. I you want to see that it's posted on the Fishing report section. If you visit my utube channel hit subscribe and you can see any future videos or from my library, past one that had a lot more Yellowtail action from the days when it was easy to almost get one on every trip.

Old 09-16-2020, 02:54 PM   #190
tak100
Recruit

Got my seat installed! What a difference. Thanks for the tip Nick I went with the offset installation.

Took my first fishing trip, after two check out/engine break in sessions and figured out where I wanted to put some things. Another check out fishing trip this Friday before I start drilling more holes in my new toy.

So far loving the mobility. Not loving the extra weight and transportation headaches with the engine but I am still figure it all out.

Can't wait to join the fleet down in SD!
Old 10-01-2020, 02:10 PM   #191
NICKWORN

Lobster Ready!

She's all set for Lobster Season!! They'll be able to see me from Space! #SafetyFirst

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solo 3.jpg (82.0 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Solo 1.jpg (39.6 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg Solo 4.jpg (35.6 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg Solo 2.jpg (43.3 KB, 195 views)
Old 10-01-2020, 07:31 PM   #192
FISH11

Unhappy

Sweet I got all the lights and just about everything else. Unfortunately just don't have the $ for buying the hoop nets and harnesses right now, looks like everything else there must be shortages because there are no real discount deals on hoop nets and no used ones to be found. So I guess I will start a little later in the season. Good luck, Nick on the opener.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:48 AM   #193
ctfphoto

I just ordered a solo skiff from OEX.

Due in January.

Mark, I will be asking you many many questions in the next few months.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:42 AM   #194
jorluivil

looks good!!

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 09:10 PM   #195
FISH11

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
I just ordered a solo skiff from OEX.

Due in January.

Mark, I will be asking you many many questions in the next few months.
Way to go Chris. I love mine, everytime I use it at La Jolla (once or twice per week) I am more impressed at the stability and ability in the open ocean.
Old 10-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #196
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
Way to go Chris. I love mine, everytime I use it at La Jolla (once or twice per week) I am more impressed at the stability and ability in the open ocean.
Thanks, Mark. I love your setup.

I was out lobstering with Mikey Sunday night where we both limited :lobs ter:

That Solo Skiff has so much more range and way faster, less impact on the body.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:05 AM   #197
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Thanks, Mark. I love your setup.

I was out lobstering with Mikey Sunday night where we both limited :lobs ter:

That Solo Skiff has so much more range and way faster, less impact on the body.
Congrats on the limiting on the lobster outing for you and Mikey. I planned it out so it's working smarter instead of working harder. The only real work is when loading and unloading, at home I made a cart that is equal in height to the truck bed and exender. That makes loading and unloading even easier than when I take out any of my kayaks. Since I made the ABS ramp and got the hand crank strap winch, at the beach unloading and loading are easier and quicker than when using my kayaks.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:07 AM   #198
ctfphoto

Mark, I like that cart.

At first, I thought you had a cart for the launch ramp which will shred your solo.

How are you dealing with the launch ramp road rash?
Old 10-08-2020, 02:24 PM   #199
tak100
Recruit

Mark,

I would love to see your ramp and wench set up as well.

That last 6 inches is a major B.

Thanks!
Old 10-09-2020, 03:45 AM   #200
NICKWORN

Opener!!

Got limits in 1.5 sets, sent plenty swimming on the last few hoops.

Buggzilla!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201008_064756_112.jpg (53.8 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201008_064756_106.jpg (136.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg received_3212063078906314.jpg (55.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20201003_214144.jpg (40.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20201004_073245.jpg (63.0 KB, 93 views)